Anime Recommendations

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, February 13, 2011, 02:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This thread is pretty self-explanatory. If you're looking for something good to watch and have any particular interests, say them here and someone else can try and recommend you a series that they think that you will like. And of course you can also recommend other people what you think that they will like.

At any rate. I'm currently in the process of re-watching the Hunter X Hunter TV anime, and I have to say that I have really been into that whole "boy on a journey" adventure story aspect of the series. I also like One Piece's more adventurous arcs for mostly the same sort of reason. Does anyone know of any good titles that involve journeys and adventures and characters that actually get expanded upon with a decent amount of depth to them? I'm really in the mood for something like that, right now. I'm willing to accept just about any sort of recommendation, including any good movies with such an element.

Avaitor

I'll be up for that.

Also, is HXH better in anime or manga format?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Definitely anime form, for what the anime got to cover of the series (with the exception of the Greed Island OVAs, which were kind of bland and with inferior animation). That's a trend with all of Togashi's series. I love his manga work, but they are great in the sense of the great ideas that he presents. It seems that with each anime adaptation of his manga, though, he gets lucky and its given to people who know how to expand upon his great ideas. With HXH its got very fluid animation and (IMO) a great OST to fit its themes. It can start out kind of boring, especially if you're expecting it to be more along the lines of YYH (its quite the opposite, actually), but if you like an adventure story I think its great for what it is. It doesn't necessarily get you as hooked as YYH does, but I think that its a series that's written and executed extremely well for what it is, and its of course one of my personal favorite anime.

It can get kind of weird at times, though....just as a bit of warning....

Avaitor

I don't think that Viz finished releasing the anime, but that's okay, I'll check it out subbed.

And here's another request: I want a good romantic series to check out. Can be comedic or action-oriented, but I'd prefer that you don't recommend me a Shojo.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Heh, unfortunately we're going to need someone like Desensitized for that one, since he's far more experienced in good series from just about every genre of anime than I am. Unfortunately, I myself don't know of any good romance series, personally (I have seen a fair amount of stuff by Kyoto Animation, and personally they just don't appeal to me at all).

Foggle

A well-done romance anime series...? Well, I won't say they don't exist, but I've never seen one.

Word to the wise: no matter what anyone says, never watch anything related to Key (Clannad, etc.) and stay the fuck away from His And Her Circumstances.

Avaitor

Yeah, I just want proof that they exist.

EK and I were talking about this, and while I like some series with romantic elements in them, I can't think of one with that as the main focus being something I especially enjoyed.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Unfortunately, a romance anime that's not shojo is a bit hard to find, but I'll try my best to find something Avaitor would like.

I'm not sure if you ever saw Fruits Basket, but it was one of the first ones that I saw that didn't make me wretch and was actually engrossing from start to finish.

For non-Shojo, the romance aspect of Beck is handled very well, though it does drag a bit at points.

Also, a shot in the dark, but Please Save My Earth is pretty awesome. The manga is epic, but the anime is only a 6 episode OVA with a rushed ending. I would recommend the manga first. In fact, the manga versions of all these are better, but the anime are still worth watching to decide if you would want to dive deeper into these.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Sounds like good stuff. I wasn't able to get into the Fruits Basket anime, to be honest (though I did try it several years ago when I was more of a shonen fan....), but I'll definitely give the manga a shot one of these days.

So, what about Kino's Journey. Is that a good "kid on a journey" sort of anime? I ask this because it peculiarly has the word "Journey" in its title. Hmmmm....I wonder why that could be....

Avaitor

It can be Shojo I guess. I should have stated that I'd prefer a non-school based series more than anything.

Fruits Basket didn't appeal to me, Beck is already on my to-watch list, and I'm not familiar with the last one at all. I'll have to read up on that.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 13, 2011, 03:02:04 PM
So, what about Kino's Journey. Is that a good "kid on a journey" sort of anime? I ask this because it peculiarly has the word "Journey" in its title. Hmmmm....I wonder why that could be....
I guess you can say that.

It's a really compelling, brief series from the guy who created Lain. Worth checking out at some point.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, since its pretty short I'll probably try and check that out next.

Spark Of Spirit

I actually think even Foggle would like Please Save My Earth, but I don't like to assume things.  ;)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

What kind of story is it? Just a little bit of a synopsis or what the series is like might be enough to get me interested in it.

Spark Of Spirit

Alice Sakaguchi once dreamt that she is another person living on the moon. The dream is so strange and so real that Alice can't stop thinking about it. She finds out that others are having the same kind of dream. They soon discover that they had been seeing flashes of their past lives as a team of scientists on the moon long long ago. Alice and her friends then decide to find the other members and piece together what took place back then. Complications arise when they realize that everything that happened in their previous existence continue to haunt and affect their present lives.

It can be surprisingly action-based at times, too.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Sounds like a really interesting story to me. I'll likely check it out after Kino's Journey.