Anime Recommendations

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, February 13, 2011, 02:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Yeah, that sounds interesting enough.

A 6-episode OVA, you say? I'll check it out soon.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Yes, the last episode is rushed, but that's what the manga is for.

Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot this one, but Maison Ikkoku is a great romance story. Yes, I know the mangaka is pretty bad these days, but this story is still well worth experiencing. I think you might enjoy it, Avaitor.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I think it's about time I give it a shot.

How long is the anime?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on February 13, 2011, 03:34:42 PM
I think it's about time I give it a shot.

How long is the anime?
Long.

Almost 100 episodes, I believe.

You could read the manga instead, but it's pretty much the same experience, IIRC.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Yeah, I don't think I have the time for an investment like that atm.

I'll check out the OVA you recommended me, since that should be good enough.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd also recommend the Shounan Junai Gumi OVAs, if you're at all interested in seeing Onizuka in his younger days as a delinquent rather than a teacher at a distinguished private school....who happens to still be a delinquent anyways. The OVA takes select pieces from the manga, and mostly focuses on comedy, but its still all pretty fun, and its only 5 episodes long (though, each episode is essentially 50 minutes to an hour long). I'd say that its well worth watching, personally.

Angus

Maison Ikkoku's by the person who did Inuyasha though, just a heads up, in case you're annoyed by that author, even though personally I still enjoyed the Ranma 1/2 manga. But it does precede all those other manage an apartment complex shows like Love Hina and Mahoraba Heartful Days.

Oh geez, how could I forget NANA?  Slice-of-life, dramatic, not heavily school based, with romance and mature themes.

Plenty of romance recommendations, mostly rom-com, as it's my favorite genre in anime.

The Wallflower - My Fair Lady styled rom-com directed by Nabeshin.
Rumbling Hearts - singular romance drama concept, at least it's set mainly after high school
Emma: A Victorian Romance - cute period romance, nothing at all to do with Jane Austen's Emma.
Romeo x Juliet - self-explanatory, but with an anime fantasy twist
Pretear - magical girl romance drama
Fushigi Yuugi - classic 90s romance sci-fi
Oh My Goddess - classic and definitive magical girlfriend manga with several tv series with excellent voice acting
Super GALS - my favorite episodic rom-com
Ouran High School Host Club - reverse harem goodness - recommend anime first esp Funimation dub
Fruits Basket - sweet drama. one of Funimation's most endearing, but the manga's definitely shojo, so I'd try the anime first.
School Rumble - funny shonen rom-com. a must for all anime viewers.
Kimagure Orange Road - classic 1980s romance anime and the definitive love triangle
Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances) - awesome but only up to the jump the shark episode
Kanon - best of those KEY/Kyoto Animation dating sim based dramas. I won't recommend Clannad unless you enjoyed this one first as it's more of the same and the characters aren't as endearing.
Suzuka (anime) / Kimi no Iru Machi (manga) - romance drama with some nice plot twists that make you really get emotional over some of the characters. kimi machi is set in the same world as Suzuka.
Please Teacher (anime) - student-teacher romance with a bit of sci-fi. it's by the guy who wrote a bunch for Tenchi Muyo. You could read the manga for the quick summary.
Honey and Clover - slice-of-life romance set in art school college
Toradora - recommended by some of our AR folks
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Angus

I was thinking about the lists and there's like shonen romance and shojo romance. Might be interesting to figure out what the differences are, like shonens tend to draw really good looking girls with really average guys, and shojo focuses more on making both look attractive. Shonens also have a lot more visual fanservice. I'd think a shojo artist would be embarrassed if they put a lot of oversized body parts in their stories.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

gunswordfist

Well I only like one kind of anime, with the exception of Case Closed and Monster though. I doubt anyone can give me any good recommendations.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Have you seen the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVAs? Read the manga when you're done.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Read Shounan Junai Gumi, bitch. If you at all consider yourself a fan of classic street-brawl type fighting or the battle genre in general, then you would have seen this essential classic (and since you haven't that means you are still a newbie in the genre, and probably highly unworthy to even see this series, anyways). Its also good because unlike most series in its genre it can totally nail the humor down, while also tackling the serious and more dramatic elements of its story very efficiently.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 15, 2011, 05:57:27 PM
Read Shounan Junai Gumi, bitch. If you at all consider yourself a fan of classic streety-brawl type fighting or the battle genre in general, then you would have seen this essential classic (and since you haven't that means you are still a newbie in the genre, and probably highly unworthy to even see this series, anyways). Its also good because unlike most series in its genre it can totally nail the humor down, while also tackling the serious and more dramatic elements of its story very efficiently.
:D I'll be sure to get it asap.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Pharass

Quote from: Angus on February 14, 2011, 03:28:59 AM
Fushigi Yuugi - classic 90s romance sci-fi

The best thing about Fushigi Yuugi is the fact that it features one of the greatest anime villains of all time.

I've been watching a lot of Master Keaton lately and would definitely recommend it to anyone who haven't seen it yet. It's based on a manga by Naoki Urasawa so if you're familiar with his work, you should know that the characterisation and writing of this anime is top-notch. Also, Keaton himself is one of the best protagonist in any medium ever.

And, of course, I wouldn't be me if I didn't recommend my favorite animated show: Legend of the Galactic Heroes. If there's any anime that needs to be watched by more people, this is the one.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Insomniac

LotGH is something I really want to watch, but hearing about the sheer scope of the series, I feel that the only proper way to watch it would be on TV instead of on the computer where I'd just get distracted. And sadly, there's no news whatsoever about the show being licensed here anytime soon. So on the off-chance that it gets distributed, or if I somehow come across bootlegs, I probably won't get to it in the near future.

Pharass

I've seen some bootlegs of the show at ioffer, can't vouch for their quality though.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.