Recommendations

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, February 13, 2011, 02:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I feel like making a list of theatrical shorts while I still have computer access. Leaving "King-Size Canary" out.

Warner - "Feed the Kitty"
Disney - "Donald's Happy Birthday"
MGM - "Dumb-Hounded"
Flesicher- "Blow Me Down!"
Lantz- "The Barber of Seville"

Hopefully I won't have to explain these.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Christ, this thread is dusty.

So since Thad and nostalgiafaggotry in general are making me disillusioned as all hell when it comes to Looney Tunes (even when I don't have class or anything else to do at 12, I haven't seen the CN airings since July), I need some shorts to rewatch so I can restore what I liked about Bugs and Daffy without being reminded of their more unseemly devotees.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, it doesn't have Bugs, but how about the Duck Dodgers show? The elitists don't remember it, the newer fans have never heard of it, and it isn't overplayed at all.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on September 27, 2011, 08:03:27 PM
Bugs
Daffy
It's not working. D: All I keep thinking is "Why do people keep saying Mel Blanc has a thousand voices? The wrestler sounds just like Taz." What am I becoming?

Quote from: Desensitized on September 27, 2011, 07:49:12 PM
Well, it doesn't have Bugs, but how about the Duck Dodgers show? The elitists don't remember it, the newer fans have never heard of it, and it isn't overplayed at all.
I liked it back then. The problem is the memories are too vivid for a rewatch to do its deed (can still remember the Green Lantern episode and the Samurai Jack parody).

Avaitor

Maybe you're just burned out on the franchise for the time being. Give it a little, maybe try watching "Duck Amuck" or "The Old Grey Hare" again, and all should be well.

New blog!

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 27, 2011, 08:15:30 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on September 27, 2011, 08:03:27 PM
Bugs
Daffy
It's not working. D: All I keep thinking is "Why do people keep saying Mel Blanc has a thousand voices? The wrestler sounds just like Taz." What am I becoming?
SUPER late, but I just realized that Crusher wasn't even voiced by Mel. 'twas a John T. Smith role.

Also, this thread can always use a bump.

New blog!

Angus

So I'm trying to figure out Robot Chicken; it's got some stop motion action figure animation - reminds me of MTV Celebrity Deathmatch with some heavy 1980s references, like we need more Star Wars and Indiana Jones.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

The Best of Warner Bros. Animation Collections will be released throughout the year in three separate animation sets.  Each features animation at its best in three key brands Hanna-Barbera  (May), Looney Tunes (June) and DC Comics (August).

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but oh well. These sound awesome.

New blog!

The Shadow Gentleman

So I had a teacher this last semester who I really got a long with, and I talked to her about comics, movies, shows, etc. I told her I would try to send her a list of various animated series she might like (and so I can show off the medium). She's overall pretty open minded, although she doesn't really like a lot of gore.  I made sure to include several superhero shows since she seemed to enjoy those. So far I have:

Batman: TAS
Superman: TAS
The Spectacular Spider-Man
Avengers: EMH
Cowboy Bebop
Gargoyles
Monster

Any other suggestions?

Avaitor

Is Trigun really that gory? It's been ages since I've seen the show, but I remember it being rather tame on that front.

And yeah, it's probably a good idea to recommend Batman and Superman first. Batman Beyond is best appreciated if you're familiar with B:TAS, same with Justice League for the three shows.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on May 28, 2013, 02:12:57 PM

Cowboy Bebop
Gargoyles
Monster

Any other suggestions?

Are you only showing off action cartoons? If not...

WHERE ARE THE LOONEY TUNES?

But I'm guessing from your list you are trying to introduce her to some good action cartoons, in that case I recommend:

Dragonball  (NOT Z, the original).
Trigun
Justice League
Batman Beyond
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Yu Yu Hakusho
Samurai Champloo
The Big O
X Men: Evolution

That's all I can think of that I can think of to recommend to someone whose tastes I don't really know very well. If she likes good, respectably mature action cartoons I think these would be worth recommending to her, unless you feel otherwise.

gunswordfist

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on May 28, 2013, 02:12:57 PM
So I had a teacher this last semester who I really got a long with, and I talked to her about comics, movies, shows, etc. I told her I would try to send her a list of various animated series she might like (and so I can show off the medium). She's overall pretty open minded, although she doesn't really like a lot of gore.  I made sure to include several superhero shows since she seemed to enjoy those. So far I have:

Cowboy Bebop
Gargoyles
Monster

Any other suggestions?
Legion Of Superheroes
Wolverine And The X-Men
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Avaitor on May 28, 2013, 02:32:04 PM
Is Trigun really that gory? It's been ages since I've seen the show, but I remember it being rather tame on that front.
Yeah, I really need to add Trigun. I recommended it to everyone anyway. And it was pretty tame.

Quote from: Cartoon X on May 28, 2013, 02:36:33 PM
Are you only showing off action cartoons? If not...

WHERE ARE THE LOONEY TUNES?
I'm assuming she's already familiar with Looney Tunes.

QuoteBut I'm guessing from your list you are trying to introduce her to some good action cartoons, in that case I recommend:

Dragonball  (NOT Z, the original).
Trigun
Justice League
Batman Beyond
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Yu Yu Hakusho
The Big O
X Men: Evolution

That's all I can think of that I can think of to recommend to someone whose tastes I don't really know very well. If she likes good, respectably mature action cartoons I think these would be worth recommending to her, unless you feel otherwise.
All good choices, and I'm looking for animated series in general. Maybe some stuff some people haven't seen.

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 28, 2013, 03:04:30 PM
Legion Of Superheroes
:thinkin:

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on May 28, 2013, 03:27:30 PM
All good choices, and I'm looking for animated series in general. Maybe some stuff some people haven't seen.

Well, if she hasn't watched King of the Hill she really should because it's the best animated show made for adults ever made. I forgot to mention Batman: The Brave and the Bold earlier, which is also a really good superhero show.

Otherwise, for comedy cartoons, I can confidently suggest:
Rocko's Modern Life
The Angry Beavers
Ducktales
Futurama
American Dad

I'd love to recommend more unusual choices, but I feel nobody here really seems to share my taste in "zany" type comedies, so I doubt that she would.  :sweat: