Recommendations

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, February 13, 2011, 02:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You all know the idea.

Now, as for me, I'd ask for something that's similar or along the lines of great animated sitcom series like King of the Hill, or other animated comedies which I love such as South Park or Futurama, but I realize that I love each of those series for the fact that they are so unique and stand out to me among other series, since there is nothing quite like them.

So, instead, for now, I'll just ask if anybody has any good episodes of The Simpsons to recommend to me. I've never been too into the show, but only because I just haven't watched that much. I like a fair amount of the classic episodes that I have seen, and would love to see more of the great ones if Desensitized or SNES_Chalmers or Avaitor has any good classic episodes to recommend to me (or anyone else, for that matter).

Avaitor

I've been going through seasons 6 and 8 lately, so I think I'll make you a kind of "essentials" involving particular aspects of the show.

Homer- Homer the Heretic
Marge- Fear of Flying
Bart- Cape Feare
Lisa- Lisa on Ice
Maggie- And Maggie Makes Three
Homer & Marge- Secrets of a Successful Marriage
The Simpsons family- Marge Be Not Proud
Alternate choice- Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily
The citizens of Springfield- Marge vs. the Monorail
Alternate choice- Homer at the Bat
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

All right, thanks for the recommendations. I'll be sure to try and check out those episodes first as soon as I can find them.

I'll also take some KOTH episode recommendations if anyone wants to throw some of those my way as well. And of course, I would fully like to encourage people to ask people to recommend them some good shows or movies depending on what they are in the mood for watching.

Spark Of Spirit

The majority of season 3 and 4 would be a good place to start, but if you want suggestions...

For a bit of everything: Last Exit To Springfield or Bart Sells His Soul or Mr. Plow
For zany comedy: Itchy & Scratchy Land or Bart Vs. Australia or Homie The Clown
For more emotional moments: Lisa's Substitute or Duffless or Lisa's Sax

I'll give you some KOTH in my next post.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

As for KOTH

Hank- Get Your Freak Off
Peggy- Peggy's Fan Fair
Bobby- Bobby Goes Nuts
Dale- The Trouble with Gribbles
Bill- Bills are Made to be Broken
Boomhauer- Patch Boomhauer
Kahn- The Year of Washing Dangerously
Cotton- Shins of the Father
Luanne- Luanne Gets Lucky
Citizens of Arlen- Nine Pretty Darn Angry Men

Now THAT was hard as hell. So many good choices all across the board.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Quote from: Desensitized on February 13, 2011, 02:48:23 PM
The majority of season 3 and 4 would be a good place to start, but if you want suggestions...

For a bit of everything: Last Exit To Springfield or Bart Sells His Soul or Mr. Plow
For zany comedy: Itchy & Scratchy Land or Bart Vs. Australia or Homie The Clown
For more emotional moments: Lisa's Substitute or Duffless or Lisa's Sax

I'll give you some KOTH in my next post.

All great episodes, and the ones bolded in particular are ones I nearly went with for my list.

I hope EK will find our lists to be helpful.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yup, these are definitely great lists, so thanks a lot. As soon as I can find these episodes, I will definitely watch them. I've been so bored lately so I'm dying to see some good comedy entertainment with perhaps a good bit of light drama mixed in for good measure.

Spark Of Spirit

For KOTH, watch these episodes in order:

Square Peg - Great introductions of every character to ease you into the show
Plastic White Female - To familiarize yourself with the universe
The Man Who Shot Kane Skretteburg - Highlights the guys better, and it's really funny
Three Days Of The Kahndo - Really funny and digs a bit deeper into the characters
Propane Boom - Part one of the two parter
Death Of A Propane Salesman - Part two of the two parter
And They Call It Bobby Love - Another great one that focuses more on Bobby
Wings Of The Dope - Pretty much part 3 of the earlier two parter
Hanky Panky - Part 1
High Anxiety - Part 2, this two parter should really put you in there with the characters.

That's what I'd recommend to slowly get into it, anyway.

Quote from: Avaitor on February 13, 2011, 02:58:04 PM
As for KOTH

Hank- Get Your Freak Off
Really? I mean, I like the episode, but I'm not sure I would recommend it to someone just trying to get into KOTH.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Desensitized on February 13, 2011, 03:10:26 PM
As for KOTH

Hank- Get Your Freak Off
Really? I mean, I like the episode, but I'm not sure I would recommend it to someone just trying to get into KOTH.
If you can't find humor in Hank dancing like boy band member, you're dead on the inside.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on February 13, 2011, 03:13:10 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on February 13, 2011, 03:10:26 PM
As for KOTH

Hank- Get Your Freak Off
If you can't find humor in Hank dancing like boy band member, you're dead on the inside.
Well, yeah it's funny... But I'm not sure if it's as funny if you don't know Hank Hill, you know what I mean?

But it is a good episode, so whatever.  :awesome:

Avaitor

I think it gets into Hank's conservative values well enough so if you don't know much about the man, it'll be a solid start. It's also generally overlooked, so I thought that I'd recommend it for a change.

And here's one for you, Desen- gimme some Duckman eps.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Good point. As for Duckman, taking away from what I think you've seen...

I, Duckman - Good pilot that introduces every important character
TV Or Not To Be - Classic Duckman
About Face - Seeing another side to the character
Clip Job - Great use of a clip show
Noir Gang - Gotta love noir
A Room With A Bellevue - It's hard to not recommend this
The Girls Of Route Canal - Fantastic and touching
The Once And Future Duck - Only Duckman could make this plot work
Aged Heat - Introduces an interesting little sub plot
They Craved Duckman's Brain! - Worth it for the ending alone
Cock Tales For Four - I've recommended this before
Bev Takes A Holiday - The last subplot of the series begins here
Duckman And Cornfed In 'Haunted Society Plumbers' - The title says it all
Kidney, Popsicle, And Nuts - Again, the title pretty much sums it up
Where No Duckman Has Gone Before - Because I'm not going to troll you by telling you to watch the finale.

There are 70 episodes, so it is a bit hard to cherry pick.

Avaitor

Awesome. I'll look for a couple of these later.

I can't think of anything else that I need recommendations for atm. Desen, Foggle, you guys want anything?

New blog!

Commode

Sorry to be tardy to the party.  Anyways, for The Simpsons, I'd honestly start here.  Gives a little bit of background on many of the citizens of Springfield.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Recs for the Real Ghostbusters would be cool. I haven't seen that show in such a while, I probably don't remember anything from it.