Recommendations

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, February 13, 2011, 02:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Quote from: Desensitized on February 13, 2011, 10:22:16 PM
Recs for the Real Ghostbusters would be cool. I haven't seen that show in such a while, I probably don't remember anything from it.
Really, the first two or three seasons are where to go. After JMS left and Slimer got his spin-off it never was the same, but there's some decent stuff, and he came back with a few good episodes near the end.

Mrs. Rogers Neighborhood
Citizen Ghost
The Boogieman Cometh
Who're You Calling Two-Dimensional?
The Collect Call of Cathulhu
Apocalypse - - What, Now?
The Copycat
Poultrygeist  (well, I liked it as a kid :P)
Janine, You've Changed
Attack of the B-Movie Monsters

It's been a little while myself, but I remember these being good ones.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Not really looking for anything in particular. Just give me a show that doesn't stick to just one genre, has an arc (whether it be story arc or character arc), can make me laugh one minute while feel depressed the next, and doesn't end at a cliffhanger or anywhere abrupt.

Okay, I'm probably too specific. Just give me something good that I probably haven't watched already.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 13, 2011, 11:40:45 PM
Not really looking for anything in particular. Just give me a show that doesn't stick to just one genre, has an arc (whether it be story arc or character arc), can make me laugh one minute while feel depressed the next, and doesn't end at a cliffhanger or anywhere abrupt.

Okay, I'm probably too specific. Just give me something good that I probably haven't watched already.

Level E doesn't stick to one genre (not entirely, anyways), has a fair number of arcs for a series that will only last 13+ episodes, can get sad-ish at one particular character arc (but I wouldn't necessarily call it depressing), and at least as far as the manga goes, it doesn't end on what I feel is a cliffhanger. But, that's an anime, so I suppose it doesn't fit in the recommendation thread for general animation. :P

Actually, I couldn't tell whether you were being serious or not, but I couldn't resist posting that since its actually not a joke that Level E's completely odd and unstructured narrative makes it fit most of what you just listed down, though whether its actually good at doing that or not is subjective the individual viewer.

**Ahem**

Anyways, I don't know any other show in general that really fits that description, so if you really were being serious, then unfortunately I won't be of any use in helping you there. Sorry. :(

Angus

For The Real Ghostbusters, I'd just rent the boxsets from the library. Can't remember if any stood out as particularly good, but it gets better after they stopped doing so much 80s filler music in season 1 and before they morphed into Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters. Nice thing about the season 1 boxset is that they have some nice annotations by JMS and friends.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 13, 2011, 11:40:45 PM

King Of The Hill has all that except the genre changing. Although there are a few mystery episodes, it's essentially character comedy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Hey, I'm looking for a comedy series along the same lines as Regular Show, and Sam & Max, Freelance Police. You think the fine people of AR can point me in the right direction?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Daxdiv on February 14, 2011, 11:43:08 PM
Hey, I'm looking for a comedy series along the same lines as Regular Show, and Sam & Max, Freelance Police. You think the fine people of AR can point me in the right direction?
The closest I can think of is Home Movies for RS, though if you want some mystery with a touch of out there humor there's always Duckman for closer to S&M.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Quote from: Desensitized on February 15, 2011, 05:34:10 PM
Quote from: Daxdiv on February 14, 2011, 11:43:08 PM
The closest I can think of is Home Movies for RS, though if you want some mystery with a touch of out there humor there's always Duckman for closer to S&M.

Well, it has been a while since I watched both of those shows. So I will give them another go around.

Avaitor

Also consider Earthworm Jim. I never got to see much of it since it never ran outside of Kids WB, but it seems like a comparable show for those two.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on February 15, 2011, 09:54:16 PM
Also consider Earthworm Jim. I never got to see much of it since it never ran outside of Kids WB, but it seems like a comparable show for those two.
This is a good choice, too.

gunswordfist

I need to check out Earthworm Jim and Real Ghostbusters
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Angus

Has anyone seen The Ricky Gervais Show on HBO? It's a selection of their audio broadcasts done to cartoon animation, and is what inspired them to do An Idiot Abroad. Just wondering if having it animated like that, much like Crank Yankers done to puppets, makes it worth watching?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

And since we're all about equality and stuff, if you were trying to get someone to appreciate animation as an adult, what five pieces of western work would you use? Here's my five:

-Sleeping Beauty- I want to add in at least one movie, and more likely, a Disney movie would be it, preferably one from Walt's time. Out of all the ones I can add, this is a little less familiar to most people, at least from what I notice. Everybody I talk to recognizes it by name, but it's not as well-remembered as something like Snow White, Cinderella, or Bambi. It's a classic Disney story, with romance, memorable music, humor, black and white definitions of good and bad, likable sidekicks, and one hell of a villain. The animation and combination of Tchaikovsky's ballet with the sequence is admirable and takes it to artistic status, and is also why I'd consider it.

-"King-Size Canary"- I want a classic short here, and an MGM-era Avery one instead of Warner for once. This short is brilliant and gives you everything you need in a cartoon from the golden age, for both glorification and satirical purposes. I was thinking between this and "Magical Maestro", and went with this instead.

-Futurama- "The Sting"- I was considering adding in either a Simpsons or KOTH episode, but went with this Futurama episode instead since it's emotionally and humorously close to perfect, and I don't think you even need to know the characters that well to really get emotionally involved with it. Leela's ongoing thoughts are enough to hold it throughout.

- The Spectacular Spider-Man- "Survival of the Fittest"- Was thinking about a dozen or so different episodes of BTAS to use, but at the end of the day, I thought that this would work better, since it gives you everything you need about Spider-Man in one show- strong action, playful humor, all the angst you anticipate Peter/Spidey to go through and an effective villain for him to face, on top of slick animation. It's also one of the best premiere episodes in recent memory, and should be enough to get someone interested in watching it all the way through.

-Ed, Edd, n' Eddy- "Mission Ed-Possible"/"Every Which Way But Ed"- And here's a more predictable choice for me- Eds, but two episodes you might not have expected from me. The first is a hilarious short that delves into the psychology of the Eds very well and gets into their relationship and personal lives as Ed and Eddy try to save their grades from Double D. You also get plenty of time with the rest of the cast. Meanwhile, the second is a hilarious "flashback" episode that breaks the laws of physics to take us back to where the Eds first meet. I think this also gives you a good glimpse of what their relationship is like, moreso on the good side where the first goes through the darker side, and also gives you good time with the supporting cast. I could go with any other collection, but I went with this season 5 one on random.

What do you think? What would you add to your list?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

The Simpsons - Last Exit To Springfield
Gargoyles - Pilot
Secret Of Nimh
Sym-Bionic Titan - Escape From Galaluna
King Of The Hill - Hanky Panky/High Anxiety two parter

Those are the first things that popped into my head. I'd elaborate, but it's late and I'm feeling tired.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on March 27, 2011, 11:22:04 PM
The Simpsons - Last Exit To Springfield
Gargoyles - Pilot
Secret Of Nimh
Sym-Bionic Titan - Escape From Galaluna
King Of The Hill - Hanky Panky/High Anxiety two parter

Those are the first things that popped into my head. I'd elaborate, but it's late and I'm feeling tired.
Nice, adding a Titan episode.
Sym-Bionic Titan- Escape From Sherman High (My favorite episode and ironically the very first episode. It has a perfect combo of action and comedy (that fake teen soap opera kills me everytime) Plus the episode has my favorite monster fight.

SBT- Shaman Of Fear (This episode set my imagination on fire and the team becomes closer throughout this episode)

SBT- Fortress Of Deception (The so called season 1 finale. The Titan's crew's first confrontation with G3)

SBT- Phantom Ninja (First episode where we get to see Lance let his hands fly and this episode features my absolute favorite Mutraddi which surprisingly isn't even a mega beast.)

SBT- Shadows Of Youth (Genndy shows why he's so good at flash backs)

That concludes my Guide To Sym-Bionic Titan. Other shows:

Avatar- Boiling Rock Part 1 and 2 (The greatest non-season finale multiparter, oh and better the the extremely overrated Season 2 finale. Season 1 finale>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2. Anyway, this was one of this great episode(s) that impresses you out of nowhere. The writers did a great job of making a story about Zuko and Sokka breaking into an unisex prison work. Pulling that off is a miracle in and of itself. I find myself rewatching these episodes a lot (probably more than any other Book 3 episodes) and many times with my baby brother which was great.

King Of The Hill- Soldier Of Fortune (rewatching the episode months ago reminded me how many endless memorable quotes it has.

Looney Tunes- Duck Tracy

Futurama- Insane In The Mainframe

Samurai Jack- Jack Vs. The Zombies

Ed, Edd n Eddy- Ed-n-Seek (This episode made me root for the Eds more than any other. That's why it's my favorite. My oldest brother and me laughed so hard during the part that had the Eds hiding in the hose. That part and their run for the homebase tree are my favorites in all of Eds history.)

Batman- Two-Face (Still my favorite version of the character, favorite origin story of the character and these two episode made Two Face my favorite DC villain. Oh and these are my favorite TAS episodes. I can go on forever. Almost forget, this is also my favorite Batman story and my favorite Batman anything. There.)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody