You know what bothers me?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 17, 2011, 08:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

Yo dudes, all that bullshit aside, the new record is actually pretty decent.  A really great break from 21st Century Breakdown, I was fairly impressed.

Although I don't know how many of you like Green Day in first place, even before AI.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Since 1994.

I'm not really interested in the new one, Stop Drop & Roll was pretty much what I wanted from them in the first place.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I started in 1998, my first album was(along with Americana) Dookie.  At the time they were a big deal because of Good Riddance and Nimrod was advertised all over the place in that Fred Meyer, but I picked Dookie because of the colored pencil cover, and because it had "When I Come Around" on it, the only other Green Day song I was familiar with at the time.

Kiddington

2001-2002 ish. I wasn't really into music that much as a kid, but even pre-AI, Green Day was one of my early favorites.

I still like pretty much all of their early stuff, from Warning on down (and really, AI isn't even that bad of an album, all things considered), but I haven't cared about them at all since then (21st Century Breakdown was wholeheartedly awful). I really wasn't interested in the new one either, but I have actually heard good things from quite a few people, so maybe it's worth a look. We'll see.

Commode

All pro-Green Day bias aside, Kerplunk-Warning is one of the strongest streaks ever.  Few bands have been able to make that solid of a string of records, pretty much every song is still great to listen to today.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, they were a pretty good pop band all things considered. Though I do think Insomniac was a bit of step down from Dookie, it was still pretty good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Insomniac is actually the underrated GD album to me personally.  It was the last album I bought pre-AI, I even owned International Superhits! and Shenanigans before I owned it, and it probably has the fewest spins(except 21st, only listened to that one fully like twice).

I don't know if there's any particular reason, maybe it's because the record was meant as a more aggressive record than the others.  It's a great album, but its near the bottom for me.

Commode

For me it's probably Nimrod > Warning > Kerplunk > Dookie > 1039 > American Idiot > Insomniac(regretfully, but honestly) > 21st.

Don't know where I'd fit Uno! in yet.

Spark Of Spirit

I think my issue is that the songs aren't that interesting compared to Dookie or Kerplunk. Nothing as bouncy as Longview, as good as One For The Razorbacks, as exciting as Chump, as slow as Christie Road, nor does it have anything as catchy as When I Come Around, 2000 Light Years Away, or Basket Case.

There are a lot of good songs, but stuff like Tight Wad Hill feels like 39/Smooth-level of songwriting.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Comeau on September 28, 2012, 08:30:31 PM
For me it's probably Nimrod > Warning > Kerplunk > Dookie > 1039 > American Idiot > Insomniac(regretfully, but honestly) > 21st.

Don't know where I'd fit Uno! in yet.
I would probably go:

SD&R > Warning > Nimrod > Dookie > Kerplunk > American Idiot > Insomniac > Smooth > The Network> 21st

No-Personality

Quote from: Kiddington on May 11, 2012, 01:53:18 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on May 11, 2012, 01:35:29 PM
Quote from: Foggle on May 11, 2012, 01:34:48 PMJeffree Star's new video is currently trending on Twitter. :anger:
Demi used to be friends with... it.

But still... why?
:whuh:

I can't believe this person actually has a fanbase.
I don't get it. What am I missing?

Quote from: Avaitor on February 16, 2012, 08:13:59 PMI actually really like "Super Bass"
Same here.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 19, 2011, 12:04:16 AMNelly Furtado. God, I hate the Canadian music industry so much.
I love this song of hers.

What really bothers me? Most of the trends I hate the most in music have already passed. I mean, Cee Lo Green really bored me but... that's nothing compared to whatever hip-hop was when this was popular. UCK! (He really redeemed himself later, though.) I think pop is really in a much better place now, thanks a lot to Lady Gaga.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Foggle

Quote from: No-Personality on November 20, 2012, 12:07:32 PM
I don't get it. What am I missing?
Star's music used to be incredibly popular 'round these parts. It all just sounds like old cats vomiting into factory machinery to me.

Avaitor

VH1 did a 100 greatest women in music list earlier this year. I was happy to see Demi make the list, but this bugged me:

Where did Madonna rank? #1
Where did Nicki Minaji rank? #40
Adele? Right at #5, with her sole 2 albums.
Aretha? Nowhere to be found.
Grace Slick? Also missing.
Debbie Harry? Another no-show.
And PJ Harvey's stuck to 79.

So yeah, let us never let VH1 rank any sort of lists ever again.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Quote from: Avaitor on December 22, 2012, 04:02:08 PM
VH1 did a 100 greatest women in music list earlier this year. I was happy to see Demi make the list, but this bugged me:

Where did Madonna rank? #1
Where did Nicki Minaji rank? #40
Adele? Right at #5, with her sole 2 albums.
Aretha? Nowhere to be found.
Grace Slick? Also missing.
Debbie Harry? Another no-show.
And PJ Harvey's stuck to 79.

So yeah, let us never let VH1 rank any sort of lists ever again.
This doesn't bother anyone? Because I'm listening to Amazing Grace now, and I really don't understand how Aretha didn't rank on a list like this.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I missed that post. Yeah, that's embarrassing as a list.

How you make a list like this and not include Aretha Franklin is quite possibly a cause to invalidate the whole thing.