You know what bothers me?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 17, 2011, 08:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

Yeah, not really big on them either.  They are another one of those things where I wonder why they have such a huge cult following.

It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

Anyone remember Fall Out Boy?

Well, apparently, they now qualify as being old enough for 80's/90's variety stations (or at least the ones here, anyway). I actually heard one of their songs on the way home today; not even sure which one exactly (it was some shit about a gun and a cock or something, I don't know) but I was quite floored, to say the least. I guess the one redeeming factor was that it wasn't playing on a pure classic rock station, but still, this is just as bad.

I really need to get the cigarette lighter in my car fixed. I miss having my iPod; radio in this town just doesn't cut it whatsoever.

Avaitor

Ugh. Well, we did get Audioslave and Three Days Grace on our "classic" rock station before it got bought out by a news station in Miami, so that isn't too surprising.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I call bull. 90s music had only just begun playing on oldies stations in the last few years.

Not fair, man. This crap needs another ten years first. That would be fair.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

We had one of those variety stations back home, Mix 106, which was advertised as "The best from the 80s, 90s, and Now!", so when they played "Sugar, We're Goin' Down" or "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs" it wasn't out of place.

But yeah, Three Days Grace and Audioslave are a bit out of place on a classic rock station.  I think the most recent songs I've ever heard on a classic rock station were some Creed songs(fuck if I could name a Creed song), and that "Blue on Black" song by Kenny Wayne Shepard(which I hate immensely, btw).

Commode

And I still hate Katy Perry.  Only now it's not "Firework" that's been stuck in my head, it's that newer "E.T." song.

And Nicki Minaj, specifically her bit in this song.  It's not like I go out of my way to hear these pop songs, but I still do hear them, and now they won't vacate my brain.

Avaitor

I actually really like "Super Bass" and "Massive Attack". But Nicki can get very annoying, yes.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

So as I wrote in the Life thread, I wrote a letter to the editor of our local paper here about how much I think current popular music is suffering.

This was brought on how the writer was praising a local terrible metal-core band (who plays on the local TV station... so I know they're awful) and then questioned why Brian Wilson was considered a genius while mentioning an upcoming Beach Boys show in nearby Montreal.

I've been getting really aggravated of the recent disrespect I have seen from people over their traditional roots and disrespect for older things in current society from people who don't even seem to realize that there's a piece "missing" in the current world of art. Why is that piece gone? IT'S BECAUSE OF THIS COMPLETELY IRRATIONAL HATRED AND REJECTION OF TRADITIONALIST CULTURE THAT I JUST MENTIONED. Everyone nowadays thinks they know better. Your average twentysomething thinks they know more than their elders, and this growing sense of disrespect of the older generation is causing our forms of art and culture to suffer. I don't know where this arrogant attitude originated from, but I'm fed up with it.

You know why your band sucks? Because you've never listened to a song by Chuck Berry or Ray Davies in your life. You don't know who Robert Johnson is. The concept of a wind instrument in your music is completely foreign to you. You sing about shallow co-dependency. You have no idea what the music means because you don't listen to its source, so how can you make music that means anything?

Believe it or not, people made music before "Kill 'Em All", and for the overwhelming majority it was way better than that album was.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I feel you. I detest when people talk about how rockabilly and jazz are trash but then go on to praise grunge and heavy metal. Never mind the people who hate on Parliament but love RATM and RHCP... ugh...

Spark Of Spirit

T. Rex, Linda Ronstadt, New York Dolls, Rush, and Thin Lizzy aren't in the Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame but Madonna is.

It's hard to build a place to honor music history when you refuse to honor music history.

Avaitor

Don't forget Maiden, Priest, Purple, UFO, Motorhead...

All of these have been eligible for years, but no luck. GNR, however, gets in the moment they're eligible. Blah.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Right on all those. There's even more like Yes or Bonnie Raitt.

Quote from: Avaitor on March 04, 2012, 01:34:40 PMAll of these have been eligible for years, but no luck. GNR, however, gets in the moment they're eligible. Blah.
GNR? Before Thin Lizzy? That's equally as dumb as Sex Pistols before New York Dolls.

Too bad, the hall could have served more as a historical tool instead of the popularity contest it currently is.

Commode

Oh, I missed the list of this years inductees.  Nice to see Beastie Boys got in, that's pretty cool.  RHCP made it in too, not sure what to think about that.  And yeah, why GnR exactly?  The only thing notable about the band is how much they self-imploded themselves at the time when they could've potentially been the biggest name in rock. 

Spark Of Spirit

I honestly can't believe T. Rex isn't in more than anything. there's legitimately no argument against them in any capacity (hits, influence, originality), they have it all.