DCAU

Started by Avaitor, February 22, 2011, 03:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 23, 2013, 12:23:37 PM
1. What is your favorite DCAU show?
Batman: TAS

2. What's your favorite story arc in the DCAU?
Moviewise, Mask of the Phantasm. In terms of overlapping storylines on the show, the Cadmus arc and season 1 of Batman Beyond.

3. What's your favorite scene in the entire DCAU?
Threeway tie, all endings; the ones to Mask of the Phantasm, "Legacy", and "Epilogue".
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Also, when I said Justice League was tied as my overall favorite earlier, that included Unlimited. I typically just count them together as the same show, in the same sense that I would count Batman: The Animated Series and The New Batman Adventures as one show.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 23, 2013, 01:08:59 PM
Now, you see, you should have just said story. By story "arc" I feel like you're implying that its a story that occurs over the course of a longer period of time than the usual ones, and encompasses multiple episodes. In this regard, JLU is really the only DCAU show that has any arcs to it, whatsoever. The other shows have their 2-parters and whatnot, but they never have exceptionally long stories. If I had to say my favorite story arc in the series, I would probably go with the Cadmus arc from JLU, but if I had to give you my favorite stories in general, then I'll just give you my top 10:

With "story arc" I was thinking basically of stories that go beyond the typical 20 minute length. But you're probably right. I'll edit the question.

gunswordfist

So I've got a few questions that I'd be interested in getting some opinions on. These questions are:

2. What's your favorite story in the DCAU?

I'm curious what you guys think. But I'll start with my own answers.

1. Right now I'm thinking of making this one a tie between Batman, and Justice League.
2. Mask of the Phantasm
3. There is so much to choose from here. But I have to choose, in Return of the Joker, the whole backstory sequence that tells of the Joker's death.
1. Batman TAS
2. Two-Face
3. Big bad Harvey's therapy session
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 23, 2013, 10:22:41 PM
So I've got a few questions that I'd be interested in getting some opinions on. These questions are:

1. Right now I'm thinking of making this one a tie between Batman, and Justice League.
2. Mask of the Phantasm
3. There is so much to choose from here. But I have to choose, in Return of the Joker, the whole backstory sequence that tells of the Joker's death.
1. Batman TAS
2. Two-Face

This is just a wild guess, but you wouldn't happen to be a big fan of Two-Face, would you?

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 24, 2013, 12:20:30 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on March 23, 2013, 10:22:41 PM

2. Mask of the Phantasm
1. Batman TAS
2. Two-Face

This is just a wild guess, but you wouldn't happen to be a big fan of Two-Face, would you?
Why yes, talon!

That episode convinced me that I like Two-Face more than The Joker, made Two-Face my favorite DC villain period and I consider it the greatest villain origin story ever.

Silverstar

Does Super Best Friends Forever count as a show? If not, Justice League (pre-JLU) and honorable mention to Batman: the Brave and the Bold. The latter technically wasn't DCAU but I enjoyed it more than a lot of the DCAU shows.

Quote2. What's your favorite story in the DCAU?

As someone who's generally indifferent to action cartoons, individual action stories tend to run together to me. Individual scenes tend to stand out for me more, which brings me to...

Quote3. What's your favorite scene in the entire DCAU?

Superman's "World made of cardboard" speech in "Destroyer" and the subsequent ass-kicking that followed it. That, and the SBFF short where Supergirl and Batgirl try to convince Wonder Girl to sneak them a flight in WW's invisible jet. (Yeah, I'm cheating a little, but I like what I like.)  :thumbup:
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Silverstar on March 24, 2013, 09:09:46 AM
Superman's "World made of cardboard" speech in "Destroyer" and the subsequent ass-kicking that followed it.

While still awesome, that was a bit of a case of Darkseid being caught off guard. As soon as he readjusted he swiftly took the upper hand in the fight once again.

gunswordfist

He was caught off guard because Superman was beating his ass.

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 24, 2013, 03:55:08 PM
He was caught off guard because Superman was beating his ass.

Because he didn't know Superman had more than he was giving up to that point. If I remember correctly, Superman said in that scene that, before now, he was never able to unleash his full strength. Darkseid didn't know that.

But in spite of that, Darkseid was still going to win if Luthor didn't come to give Darkseid what he wanted.

talonmalon333

Going back to the Teen Titans discussion from earlier, I think the funny thing is that the show could've easily fit into the continuity. I mean, the major thing that they would have to do is have Robin be Tim Drake. He already resembles him more, and I think Static Shock indicated that it was Tim Drake that was working with a group of "Titans". In fact, I remember them saying in Return of the Joker that, after they cured Tim Drake and Batman forbade Tim from working with him anymore, that Tim Drake went off to be a hero without Batman for a while, hoping to prove himself (could've been a solid timeframe for TT).

Just a thought, really.

Silverstar

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 24, 2013, 07:21:47 PM
Going back to the Teen Titans discussion from earlier, I think the funny thing is that the show could've easily fit into the continuity. I mean, the major thing that they would have to do is have Robin be Tim Drake. He already resembles him more, and I think Static Shock indicated that it was Tim Drake that was working with a group of "Titans". In fact, I remember them saying in Return of the Joker that, after they cured Tim Drake and Batman forbade Tim from working with him anymore, that Tim Drake went off to be a hero without Batman for a while, hoping to prove himself (could've been a solid timeframe for TT).

Just a thought, really.

Except that a flashback in "Haunted" showed TT's Robin having a prior career in the circus and later reciting the oath, and Dick Grayson was the only Robin to do this, and in "How Long is Forever?", TT's Robin becomes Nightwing in the future, and Nightwing is Dick's new identity, not Tim's. There's also the matter of TT Robin's doppelganger Larry having the real name "Nos Yargckid", which is 'Dick Grayson' backwards. In order to make TT's Robin Tim Drake, those things would have to be removed.

For me, it's just easier to say that Teen Titans' Robin is just a composite of all the comic Robins, and TT is a separate entity from the DCAU.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Silverstar on March 24, 2013, 09:24:19 PM
Except that a flashback in "Haunted" showed TT's Robin having a prior career in the circus and later reciting the oath, and Dick Grayson was the only Robin to do this, and in "How Long is Forever?", TT's Robin becomes Nightwing in the future, and Nightwing is Dick's new identity, not Tim's. There's also the matter of TT Robin's doppelganger Larry having the real name "Nos Yargckid", which is 'Dick Grayson' backwards. In order to make TT's Robin Tim Drake, those things would have to be removed.

For me, it's just easier to say that Teen Titans' Robin is just a composite of all the comic Robins, and TT is a separate entity from the DCAU.

That's the thing though, most of those contradictions you mention could've easily just been something else. What I'm saying is that, if they wanted to put TT in the DCAU, there would be very little they'd have to change... Nightwing being in the future would be an issue though.

I agree that it's better to treat him as just a composite of various Robins. In fact, I personally even prefer leaving TT out of the canon. Though for me it's mostly the little things (for example, and for some reason, it would just peeve me if the Justice League was killed off along with everyone else except the Teen Titans, when Trigon took over the world).

Spark Of Spirit

TT's biggest problem was how empty the world felt. You rarely ever saw citizens, the heroes rarely interacted with anyone else, and there were no side-characters. I could have dealt with every other problem in the show but that one I can't seem to look past.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I actually like Teen Titans. It's a very hit or miss show, and I don't think it's on the level of the main DCAU shows (Batman, Superman, Beyond, and Justice League). But it contains some of my favorite superhero show story arcs in general.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be fair, Teen Titans has a dedicated fan-base of its own, but I'm among the people who just couldn't get into the show. It had some great characterization and some admittedly good stories and writing, but it had a number of problems that kept me from liking the show. Desensitized mentioned how barren it felt, but I also felt that the team didn't really interact with each other in very interesting ways, and the show's style of humor just really got on my nerves. Characters like Beast Boy and Cyborg also felt incredibly wooden. With Beast Boy, he did become a somewhat interesting character when Tera came into the picture, but that whole plot-line didn't work out as well as it could've (I haven't watched the show in a long time, but I remember disliking the execution of how they had Tera join the team and betray them, or something along those lines), and overall that's kind of how I could sum up the whole show. It had some nice ideas, but none of it really worked very well to my liking.