DCAU

Started by Avaitor, February 22, 2011, 03:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

They had to "dumb down" the Terra arc a bit, from what I hear. In the comic books, she was apparently a psychotic whore. :P

But I actually personally thought her arc was great, as well as Raven's arc in the fourth season. But other than that, most of the stories in the show were either "decent" or "meh".

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

From what I've heard, Tera in the comics was just plain fucked-up, with no redeeming qualities. In the show, they changed her into a tragic character who the audience could sympathize with, despite her actions. I haven't read the comics, but it sounds like I would prefer the Tera from the animated series, anyways. That said, her character arc was not really executed that well in the cartoon, IMO, so it was hard for me to really care that much about her even though I was clearly meant to. So, on that note, maybe I'd more enjoy reading the comics in which I'm actually meant to hate Tera.

gunswordfist

The first episode of the two parter where Tera attacks The Titans is my favorite episode og the show.

Anyway, Tera betraying the Titans seemed so left field. There was like no build up of reasons for her to do so or anything. She runs off, Slade takes her in and then she comes back and eventually helps to try and kill them...then shows up again to kill them herself. I saw nothing to sympathize with.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 25, 2013, 04:09:52 PM
The first episode of the two parter where Tera attacks The Titans is my favorite episode og the show.

Anyway, Tera betraying the Titans seemed so left field. There was like no build up of reasons for her to do so or anything. She runs off, Slade takes her in and then she comes back and eventually helps to try and kill them...then shows up again to kill them herself. I saw nothing to sympathize with.

She wasn't able to control her powers, and in her first episode, Slade offered to help her gain control. She didn't want to betray them. When she returns to the team later on, now under Slade's control  (where Raven is shown getting those bad premonitions), you can see her reluctance to betray them, and when she did, she herself tried to run away from the scene and went as far as to try to pull Beast Boy out of there. It's also clear that she still doesn't like Slade and even came close to turning on him when he was fighting Beast Boy.

I think it all comes together well. It's not until Beast Boy learns the truth and turns away from her that Terra gives herself entirely to Slade. In the end, Terra was just a kid who was easy to manipulate.

Also, as crazy as this might sound, I enjoyed it more than quite a few arcs in the DCAU continuity.

gunswordfist

Still doesn't explain why she was willing to help KILL her friends at all. I don't see how she can be manipulated into doing that. And she wasn't a kid, she was around 16 years old.

Avaitor

Linkara just recently touched up on Terra in his Teen Titans retrospective. And yeah, she's a psycho killer.

qu'est-ce que c'est
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

I don't like Teen Titans much, but I gotta' admit that Slade is fuckin' awesome. Ron Perlman ftw!

gunswordfist

I didn't appreciate Ron's work on the show enough. One of my favorite voiceovers.

Silverstar

Teen Titans was hit or miss for me. I didn't mind the more comedic take on the franchise; Justice League was still airing on Cartoon Network at the time of TT's premiere, and obviously the producers didn't want TT to just be Justice League, Jr., but a good portion of said humor, particularly the whole "let's mimic anime as much as humanly possible" with the chibis and the art style, didn't click with me. Plus, not all of the characters gelled with me; Robin, Starfire and Cyborg were the only ones I really liked, Beast Boy was made into too much of a 1-dimensional idiot and Raven's haughtiness (not to mention the insane amount of worship the character received from a lunatic fringe of her fanbase, who believed that she was either a goddess or the only good character on the show, neither of which were correct) just plain got on my nerves. Plus, like Spark said, the world of TT just felt kind of empty. I understand the producers didn't want the kids to be outshined by the adult heroes, but just removing them from the show altogether and having the Titans and all these other teen heroes just walking around without any adults or even casual mention of their mentors or parents or any kind of parental/guardian supervision just felt...off to me. Fleeting glimpses and the occasional casual mention of the adult capes or something would have worked better, even if they only appeared as silhouettes or legs, IMO.

I also didn't agree with the choosing of the New Teen Titans team from the 1980's; I'd have rather we had gotten a show starring the Founding Five, or some close approximation thereof; like, say replacing Garth with Kaldur (which I know couldn't have happened since TT preceded his creation) so they wouldn't be all Caucasians or swapping Roy with Artemis so Donna wouldn't be the only girl, something like that.

I'm probably one of the few people not hate ranting on the upcoming Teen Titans GO!, as I actually thought TT was best when it was just being a silly comedy. When TT tried to be edgy and/or serious it just came off as uneven to me. I still wish the makers of this show had gone with different characters other than the 80's team, but I'm personally not screaming for TT season 6 like a lot of other people on the internet.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on March 25, 2013, 04:38:59 PM
I don't like Teen Titans much, but I gotta' admit that Slade is fuckin' awesome. Ron Perlman ftw!

Slade and Red X were the best things about TT, and the latter needed more episodes.

Spark Of Spirit

It was also hard to "guess" who he was since there were no supporting characters in the universe. That was my biggest issue with Red X, and it probably would have made him more interesting if it was possible for him to have an identity.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on March 25, 2013, 04:38:59 PM

Slade is honestly up there as one of my favorite DC villains. Like, right alongside the Joker and Lex Luthor.

He and Robin were my favorite TT characters.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Silverstar on March 25, 2013, 05:12:15 PM
Teen Titans was hit or miss for me. I didn't mind the more comedic take on the franchise; Justice League was still airing on Cartoon Network at the time of TT's premiere, and obviously the producers didn't want TT to just be Justice League, Jr., but a good portion of said humor, particularly the whole "let's mimic anime as much as human possible" with the chibis and the art style, didn't click with me. Plus, not all of the characters gelled with me; Robin, Starfire and Cyborg were the only ones I really liked, Beast Boy was made into too much of a 1-dimensional idiot and Raven's haughtiness (not to mention the insane amount of worship the character received from a lunatic fringe of her fanbase, who believed that she was either a goddess or the only good character on the show, neither of which were correct) just plain got on my nerves. Plus, like Spark said, the world of TT just felt kind of empty. I understand the producers didn't want the kids to be outshined by the adult heroes, but just removing them from the show altogether and having the Titans and all these other teen heroes just walking around without any adults or even casual mention of their mentors or parents or any kind of parental/guardian supervision just felt...off to me. Fleeting glimpses and the occasional casual mention of the adult capes or something would have worked better, even if they only appeared as silhouettes or legs, IMO.

I also didn't agree with the choosing of the New Teen Titans team from the 1980's; I'd have rather we had gotten a show starring the Founding Five, or some close approximation thereof; like, say replacing Garth with Kaldur (which I know couldn't have happened since TT preceded his creation) so they wouldn't be all Caucasians or swapping Roy with Artemis so Donna wouldn't be the only girl, something like that.

I'm probably one of the few people not hate ranting on the upcoming Teen Titans GO!, as I actually thought TT was best when it was just being a silly comedy. When TT tried to be edgy and/or serious it just came off as uneven to me. I still wish the makers of this show had gone with different characters other than the 80's team, but I'm personally not screaming for TT season 6 like a lot of other people on the internet.

I never read the comic books so I can't say about the TT generations or whatever, but I agree with your general opinion that it was a hit or miss show. When I look back on it, there were things about it that are kinda obnoxious.

Overall, I think it's a 7/10 show.

Avaitor

I think the last one of these movies I saw was Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.

You can probably see why I stopped. But it is sad to see Timm gone now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/