DCAU

Started by Avaitor, February 22, 2011, 03:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldstar

Bruce Timm is a great producer and it's too bad that he'll be stepping down, but the DCAU has been done since 2006 and I'm at least willing to give James Tucker (Mr. Timm's reported successor) a chance before I write off any post-Timm DC Animated projects as being inferior. A DC animated project isn't automatically bad just because it doesn't place in the Timmverse.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

There are rumors that even though Timm is done with the DC movies, he may work on a new Justice League show that may or may not be related to the DCAU.

While I'm calling bs on this for now, I wouldn't be too surprised if it's true. They're STILL selling JLU toys now, and they still seem to be outselling Young Justice's figures, and for some reason, I can see one of the two, if not both, upcoming DC shows doing poorly. But this still sounds like some fanboys wishing for too much than a claim of truth.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on March 30, 2013, 12:14:38 AM
I think the last one of these movies I saw was Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.

You can probably see why I stopped. But it is sad to see Timm gone now.
Hey, the movie didn't have an ounce of depth but it was a lot of fun. Now Superman/Doomsday is a movie with problems...
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Superman/Doomsday was awful.

Crisis on Infinite Earths bored me more than anything else.

Out of all of these DC animated movies that came out past the DCAU, I enjoyed Batman: Year One and Justice League: The New Frontier. Neither of them were great, but I found them entertaining and easy to follow. None of the other features that I saw were really all that interesting, though I heard that the Wonder Woman DTV movie was good, but I haven't seen that one yet.

talonmalon333

To anyone that saw them...

I heard Superman/Batman: Public Enemies and Apocalpyse, as well as Batman: Under the Red Hood, are good. Fact or fiction?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I thought Apocalypse sucked, personally. The characters weren't the least bit interesting, and I found myself not caring what was going on. Also, the title is completely misleading. I know that they titled it as a Batman and Superman team-up movie for marketing purposes, but they could have honestly come up with a more clever title than that. Its essentially a Supergirl origin story.

Under the Red Hood was pretty mediocre, overall, IMO. John DiMaggio's Joker was pretty fun, though.

I haven't seen Public Enemies, myself, yet.

Goldstar

I saw Superman/Batman Public Enemies. I thought it was pretty good myself.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

I think my favorites among the DC animated movies were Wonder Woman and The New Frontier. I also really dug parts of Gotham Knights.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on April 01, 2013, 08:11:56 PM
I think my favorites among the DC animated movies were Wonder Woman and The New Frontier. I also really dug parts of Gotham Knights.

Oddly enough, I remember Bruce Timm saying in an interview that he wasn't too pleased with how The New Frontier turned out because it felt too rushed and he would have liked to make the movie into 2-parts. While I do agree that it moved along rather quickly, I actually enjoyed the brisk pace, and even as someone who hasn't read any of the comics, I was able to follow the entire story perfectly fine. Its probably my favorite of the DC animated features out of the ones that I've see, which isn't necessarily saying much, but I did find it to be genuinely good.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on April 01, 2013, 08:11:56 PM
I think my favorites among the DC animated movies were Wonder Woman and The New Frontier.
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 01, 2013, 09:09:23 PM
Its probably my favorite of the DC animated features out of the ones that I've see, which isn't necessarily saying much, but I did find it to be genuinely good.

Aren't you guys forgetting something? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mask_of_the_phantasm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Beyond:_Return_of_the_Joker

Nah, those go without saying.  But I wasn't particularly fond of Gothom Knight.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I already said in an earlier post that I was referring to the post-DCAU movies. I define the DCAU as all of the DC animated series and movies that take place in the same, well....Universe. The movies I referred to clearly don't take place in the same Universe as the DCAU, so I was referring to those separately.

talonmalon333

I know that. Also:

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 01, 2013, 09:14:57 PM

Nah, those go without saying.

We can all have a DC animated movie discussion with the knowledge that those two movies are the unanimous favorites.

Avaitor

Yeah, I meant from the new regime's movies, not the DCAU films.

Saying MOTP and ROTJ are the best is like saying that Episodes IV and V are the best parts of Star Wars. Totally obvious and unfair to the rest of the franchise.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on April 01, 2013, 10:05:10 PM
Saying MOTP and ROTJ are the best is like saying that Episodes IV and V are the best parts of Star Wars. Totally obvious and unfair to the rest of the franchise.

I agree with this, but I have met some people who actually like Episode VI more than IV and V. Don't fully know why though.

RacattackForce

I'm totally down with James Tucker being Bruce Timm's successor in the overseeing of DC animated films and television shows. The two have worked together for a number of years on DC projects, so they're probably on a similar mindset when it comes to bringing these characters to the silver screen. Plus, Tucker was the man behind Batman: The Brave and the Bold, which I loved to death.