DCAU

Started by Avaitor, February 22, 2011, 03:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Or for now, RIP Dwayne McDuffie.

I'm going to marathon some of his best JL episodes in a few, but for now let's talk about him and the rest of the series.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

This totally came out of nowhere. Like, WTF was literally the first thing that came to my head when I heard this.

We lost yet another important member of the DCAU today. Sad day.  :(
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

We're losing a lot of them lately, aren't we?

I mentioned that at another board as well as the possibility of Bruce, Paul, or Kevin being next, and that terrifies me.

Then another member mentioned the possibility of Stan Lee passing on, and that got me thinking even more. Then Demi came up (hey, we're both fans :P). And then I started thinking about what if one of the members of Maiden or Mike Patton or someone passed on in the near future. I don't know if I'll be ready. I'm still shaking over the loss of Gary Moore.

That's going off the mark, but we're losing a lot of good ones lately, the people responsible for the DCAU in particular. And yeah, I did not see that coming five miles away.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

He was responsible for a lot of great stuff and helping make one of the best animated shows ever. This is a real shame to lose someone like that so early.

Here's hoping that at least his work will live on. We all know it deserves to.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Yep.

Watching the end of the Cadmus saga now, and I might watch "A Better World" afterwords. I forget if he wrote that or not, but it seems appropriate.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Wait, WHAT?!

*checks Toonzone*

God, that's awful. RIP McDuffie. Thanks for Static Shock and putting JL on the right track.

It's gonna make reviewing All-Star Superman awkward as hell though.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 22, 2011, 08:08:29 PM
Wait, WHAT?!

*checks Toonzone*

God, that's awful. RIP McDuffie. Thanks for Static Shock and putting JL on the right track.

It's gonna make reviewing All-Star Superman awkward as hell though.
Hmmm, and he worked on Static Shock too? What a shame.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

He created Static Shock, actually. It's a real loss.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I feel so bad. I had really meant to post much earlier about McDuffie's tragic passing a few days earlier, but I didn't get around to coming to this thread and forgot to post. Anyways, the man was responsible for some truly great animated material. He wrote some great Justice League episodes, and even though I wasn't a fan of JLU I really enjoyed the Cadmus arc and I really can respect his work. Its always sad to see such a talented figure involved with the animation industry pass away, but its always good to remember their greatness through the amazing works that they have played a huge part in making, and McDuffie is truly deserving of praise for his works.

Aurora

Unfortunately, I don't know much about Mr. Dwayne McDuffie work outside the DCAU, but Justice League/Unlimited (I consider them both one show) is my favorite cartoon of all time.......ever.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I'm going to have to wait a while before I can get to watching STAS since I don't have any of the DVD sets for it. On the other hand, my friend is letting me borrow his JL DVDs, so I'll be re-watching that first and will end up going back to STAS later on whenever I can get the DVD sets for that. This time I'll be going into JLU with a much more fresh perspective, so maybe I'll enjoy it  more this time.

I actually did watch a good chunk of season 4 and at least liked the Cadmus-related stuff well enough, but I'll see if I can appreciate the rest of what JLU has to offer which I couldn't really get into before.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've been re-watching a bunch of JL episodes recently. Man, there are a lot of dirty little jokes in the writing here and there that I completely missed back when I first watched the series, and the funny thing was that I was old enough to understand them, but for some reason I missed a lot of them back then).

Anyways, while some of you guys have expressed a certain distaste for earlier episodes in the series, I think that taking them for what they are shows that they have aged fairly well on the whole. The first season certainly doesn't stand up to later seasons, but at the same time its still entertaining and contains some really solid stories in the mix. Though, I don't really feel like every story deserved to be a multi-parter. Stuff like "In Blackest Night" and "Metamorphosis" really could have easily been handled in 1 episode each, and having both of those be 2-parters just like the rest made them feel way too dragged out. That, and I wasn't too keen on either of those stories, anyways.

Season 2 seems to have some more consistently good episodes, and even though it was before the series made the jump to JLU, most of the stories this time feel big enough to justify 2-parters as opposed to season 1 which took some very basic stories and just over-glorified them by making them go on longer than they really needed to. I think that one of my favorite episodes from that season is Wild Cards, mainly because it somehow manages to combine the big scope and feel of JL with a lot of touches and an overall tone that is very reminiscent of BTAS, and of course with The Joker being the main villain of that episode (I'm counting the 2-parter as one episode since nearly ever single episode from the first 2 seasons was a 2-parter), it really helped to strengthen that BTAS vibe going on throughout.

Avaitor

So one of our local Blockbusters is closing down. So far, the sales aren't too great and while there are a couple of movies I want, there's nothing I really need at these prices. I'll come back in a week or too to see if anything good is still there when the prices get better.

I did find one major exception, though. SubZero for $3.50. Totally hit that up. About time, too.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 23, 2011, 06:12:19 PM
He created Static Shock, actually. It's a real loss.
I just found that out yesterday. I also put on hold the one Static comic my library had.

Now if only those dumbasses could get DC animated movies that are after Wonder Woman.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Looks like this is a thread for general DC animated universe discussion. I decided I'd put them all in order.

1. Batman: The Animated Series
2. Justice League
3. Superman: The Animated Series
4. Bayman Beyond

Is Static Shock in the continuity? I never really liked it since I was a kid, and think it even created some confusion for the continuity as a whole (Robin was with the Teen Titans in this universe?). So for multiple reasons I just think it should've been kept separate.