DCAU

Started by Avaitor, February 22, 2011, 03:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstar

Quote from: hobbyfanStarfire. What do you suppose is the BIG difference? On TV, she's more naive than she was presented in the books.

Not to mention less endowed and more modestly clad. But let's face it, there's no way that WB would've been able to get comics Star past the PTA.

QuoteI had a problem with the Americanized Anime of the Teen Titans series. I'm sorry, but it didn't fit.

Yeah, the wannabe anime stuff is part of what turned me off from the show. (That and their decision to go with the 80's team rather than the Founding Five or some derivation thereof, kind of like what we got in season 1 of Young Justice.) I have nothing against anime, but an American show trying so hard to imitate anime for no other reason than "kids think anime is kewl" doesn't sit right with me.  I understand that the producers didn't want TT to just be "Justice League, Junior", but still...
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

talonmalon333

I quite liked Starfire's naive personality. Very fitting for a teenage girl who's new to the planet.

Also, here's another thing that keeps TT from the DCAU: Flash is still a kid (and if I remember correctly, he's implied to be Wally West).

Silverstar

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 13, 2013, 11:17:41 PM
I quite liked Starfire's naive personality. Very fitting for a teenage girl who's new to the planet.

You must have never been on TV.com then, 'cause most of the people there accused Starfire of being either cerebrally challenged or a blithering idiot. Myself, while I felt the writers carried the "foreign exchange student" shtick too far at times, I didn't mind it overall. Starfire was one of the few things about TT that I really liked.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

hobbyfan

@Silverstar: You're spot on about the less endowed Starfire. My best guess is that in the comics, she debuted at the approximate Earth age of somewhere between 17-19. On TV, she was presented as if she was anywhere from 14-16. As I noted, that allowed the producers to take their time developing the inevitable romance with Robin, which, one must assume, will carry over into the new show. Come to think of it, that may be the only reason for me to check out TTG, to see if there is any carryover.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Silverstar on January 14, 2013, 08:05:12 AM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 13, 2013, 11:17:41 PM

You must have never been on TV.com then, 'cause most of the people there accused Starfire of being either cerebrally challenged or a blithering idiot. Myself, while I felt the writers carried the "foreign exchange student" shtick too far at times, I didn't mind it overall. Starfire was one of the few things about TT that I really liked.

I used to visit TV.com and was in this discussion probably quite a few times. I feel like people just miss the idea, really. They executed it quite well and I also think she has a good voice actress.

gunswordfist

Hmmm, sounds like I need to learn more about, as you call it, Teen Titans Go.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 11, 2013, 12:20:03 AM
So are there any future plans for the DCAU? If not, what do you guys think they should do? Shame that some of the other Justice League members didn't get their own animated shows.

I'd like to go back to my earlier question. Even though it's nearly impossible now, would you guys like to see them create some more series' in the DCAU continuity? And if so, what should it be about?

Silverstar

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 15, 2013, 06:53:39 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 11, 2013, 12:20:03 AM
So are there any future plans for the DCAU? If not, what do you guys think they should do? Shame that some of the other Justice League members didn't get their own animated shows.

I'd like to go back to my earlier question. Even though it's nearly impossible now, would you guys like to see them create some more series' in the DCAU continuity? And if so, what should it be about?

Nah, not me personally. I wouldn't mind seeing some new DC animated shows of course, but they don't have to be in the DCAU continuity for me to enjoy them. It's over and I'm cool with that. The DCAU was OK when it was around, but I've moved on from it. I honestly think people tend to romanticize the DCAU a little too much. It was OK, but it wasn't this shining brand of gold. Like all shows, there were some things I liked about the DCAU and some things I didn't like. I personally only care if the show is good. Connected universes and the like have never been a major selling point for me.

Goldstar

The DCAU was cool and all, but I'm personally ready for some new and different takes on the DC characters and franchises. If I want to relive the DCAU, I can always watch my DVDs.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

talonmalon333

I think if the question came up when the DCAU was still alive, like 10 years ago or something, I would've definitely said yes. But now, I'd probably agree with you guys. I'm over it.

Rynnec

Outside of spin-offs centering on the secondary JL characters like the Question and Green Arrow, I don't think there's much else to explore in the DCAU.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, the DCAU was a good thing for what it was, but it ran its course and thankfully came to an end before it dragged itself through the mud for too long. I can look back on it and enjoy my favorite episodes of Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, and Justice League/Unlimited (I never really cared for Static Shock, personally), and that's good enough for me.

As for the current DC animated offerings on Cartoon Network, I do enjoy what I've seen of Green Lantern: The Animated Series, though I wouldn't say its necessarily great or memorable. I did have some fun with the first season of Young Justice, but felt that it fell short of its potential and held out high hopes for the 2nd season to improve on it....and now I've kind of just been following the show without much enthusiasm, as it has personally disappointed me for the most part with what's been aired of the season 2 episodes so far.

gunswordfist

Time schmine. I want DCAU to return. Preferably with new Static and Batman Beyond and a Flash show but of course this is all asking for too much.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

So I've got a few questions that I'd be interested in getting some opinions on. These questions are:

1. What is your favorite DCAU show?
2. What's your favorite story in the DCAU?
3. What's your favorite scene in the entire DCAU?

I'm curious what you guys think. But I'll start with my own answers.

1. Right now I'm thinking of making this one a tie between Batman, and Justice League.
2. Mask of the Phantasm
3. There is so much to choose from here. But I have to choose, in Return of the Joker, the whole backstory sequence that tells of the Joker's death.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 23, 2013, 12:23:37 PM
1. What is your favorite DCAU show?

Batman: The Animated Series

Followed fairly closely by Batman Beyond and Justice League.

Quote2. What's your favorite story arc in the DCAU?

Now, you see, you should have just said story. By story "arc" I feel like you're implying that its a story that occurs over the course of a longer period of time than the usual ones, and encompasses multiple episodes. In this regard, JLU is really the only DCAU show that has any arcs to it, whatsoever. The other shows have their 2-parters and whatnot, but they never have exceptionally long stories. If I had to say my favorite story arc in the series, I would probably go with the Cadmus arc from JLU, but if I had to give you my favorite stories in general, then I'll just give you my top 10:

1. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (BTAS)
2. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (BB)
3. World's Finest (STAS)
4. Beware the Gray Ghost (BTAS)
5. Mad Love (TNBA)
6. Starcrossed (JL)
7. Heart of Ice (BTAS)
8. Robin's Reckoning (BTAS)
9. Epilogue (JLU)
10. Cadmus arc (JLU)

Quote3. What's your favorite scene in the entire DCAU?

Basically what Talon said. That's honestly my favorite scene in the entirety of the DCAU. Its just so dark yet so memorable.