Freaks and Geeks

Started by Commode, March 09, 2011, 11:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

Anybody ever watch this show?  If you haven't I strongly suggest that you do, it's pretty freaking epic.  It was short-lived when it ran on NBC back in 2000, it only produced 18 episodes, but at the same time I kind of think it ran for the perfect length.

It's about two groups of kids going to high school in 1980, the freaks, or burnouts, revolving around Lindsay Weir, and the geeks, revolving around her brother Sam Weir.  A typical episode has plots that involve both groups intertwined, and features both siblings trying to fit in with their respective groups.

Plus, the series has an awesome soundtrack.  I just watched episode eleven of the show, and in the first ten minutes the songs "I'm a Man" by Joe Jackson and "Slip Kid" by The Who were played, which are both excellent songs.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Insomniac

Watched it last semester. And yeah, it's brilliant.

Though I disagree about it being the perfect length, since it seemed like we only saw the start of a bunch of character arcs (Coach Fredericks slowly becoming a father figure for Bill, the Schweibers' marriage crumbling, Ken's girlfriend, Allen's relationship with the Geeks, etc.), and it just kind of stings to know that none of them will be followed up on.

Spark Of Spirit

Yep, it was a great show and one of the many that never got the chance it deserved to find it's audience.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Yeeeeeaaaaah... anyway, just thought I'd let everyone know; if you're interested in watching this (and don't already own the DVD set), Teen Nick appears to be airing it in reruns for the foreseeable future. From what I take, it's on at 9:00 PM my time (PST), so that should mean it's on at 12:00 AM for those of you who are on EST (I'm not completely sure how Teen Nick works, though; I don't believe they have a west coast feed, so this should be accurate... but again, I'm not certain on this).

Whatever the case, it's there; if you have Teen Nick, you should be able to find it. Those of you who haven't gotten a chance to see this marvelous series yet, I highly recommend watching it now.

Avaitor

Yeah, I've been watching this and Undeclared thanks to Teen Nick.

I don't really like all the characters in the latter too much, but F&G is really something special. It deserved more episodes, though, despite an epic ending with Lindsay becoming a Deadhead.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

I've seen the series numerous times, but I did watch it a few times in the last couple weeks when I was at my parents house.  Given that there is only 18 episodes though, I have noticed that they reran the same episodes a couple of times; I know I saw the last episode and the episode where Daniel becomes a punker at least twice.

And I still haven't seen much of Undeclared, but I did download it and will get to it sometime.

Commode

Both this show and Undeclared are now on the US version of Netflix(not sure about other countries). 

Currently doing a watch through of it now.

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

Still don't give a damn about their bad reputation, it seems.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

It's weird how Lindsay and Neal haven't aged much.

Avaitor

Yeah. Who's the girl next to Sam though?

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

I think that's Cindy Sanders.

Avaitor

Huh. She and Millie aged well then.

New blog!