The 90s Are All That

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 10, 2011, 05:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

1. Yeah, I went out and bought the Hey Arnold set this morning; $20 at Walmart. Haven't broken into it yet, though, but I'll probably watch some later tonight.

2. So... looks like pretty much every major set from here on out (those with more than 13-episodes) is being broken into two-parts. That's... pretty gross, I must say. I guess this is better than the project being shelved altogether, but still, I'm pretty disappointed. It'll just end up costing us more money down the line, and will probably hurt the overall sales, as a whole (breaking up the sets like this is more than bound to turn off a few people, I'm sure).

Avaitor

It depends on how many episodes are in a season, I guess. I'd rather not buy 40 episodes at one time, and wouldn't mind just getting half at a time, but there's only like 20 or 30 episodes in a season, just suck up the extra price hike and pay up.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on August 09, 2011, 05:42:20 PM
It depends on how many episodes are in a season, I guess. I'd rather not buy 40 episodes at one time, and wouldn't mind just getting half at a time, but there's only like 20 or 30 episodes in a season, just suck up the extra price hike and pay up.

:srs:

Nah, but really; that's no problem on my end. I'm willing to spend a little extra on this kind of stuff, as long as the sets are complete. My main issue with this decision is that it'll just end up hurting the overall sales totals (especially amongst the casual fans/impulse buyers), which will, in turn, cause Shout to potentially shelve the project altogether.

Obviously I want all of these sets to sell; even the lame(er) ones like CatDog and The Wild Thornberries. Their success is pretty much dependent on whether we get any potential new offerings down the road (Doug, Rugrats, Clarissa, etc.).

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I hate the whole "part season" releases for shows like this, especially considering what ended up happening to something like Gargoyles which never got the last volume out because of it.

They could at least give the shows a better chance at success if they would release the parts on the same day.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Tommy would be old enough to drink now!

But yeah, hard to believe how much things have changed since the originals premiered. I definitely wouldn't have for-seen all that happened to the channel since as a kid.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

It's incredible, isn't it? Hard to believe that it's been 20 whole years since these three shows, and the brand name as a whole, burst onto the scene. It's just too bad that Nick isn't choosing to celebrate this occasion at all; they really missed a great opportunity to finally give us a Complete Series DVD set of Rugrats (or Doug, for that matter).

...but, well, that's perhaps a rant best saved for another day. In the meantime; happy birthday, Nicktoons!  ;D

Avaitor

Got into some cash by selling some of my old books today, and I decided to use some of it to buy the HA set. I haven't watched it yet, but I'll try to get through it soon.

New blog!

Kiddington

Yeah, I broke into mine the other day. Just getting finished up with Disc 1; I'd say my favorite episodes so far are "Stoop Kid" and "The Baseball".

It's interesting, watching some of these early episodes. The animation looks different than I remember; I don't know if it's just me, but things don't really look the same. Especially Arnold; his head looks smaller in Season 1 (something weird I've noticed; not sure if anyone else sees it or not).

Ah well, it's still fun. I've always loved this show, but I can see how it became sort of an "acquired taste" in having a niche audience; it is a bit slower than the other Nicktoons of that time. Still a great series, though.

Kiddington

In what looks to be our last Nicktoons DVD set until October, Seasons 1 and 2 of The Angry Beavers arrives in stores everywhere today.

Anyone plan to pick this up? I probably won't make it down to Walmart until tomorrow, as I have to go out then anyway, but it's definitely in the cards. Really looking forward to watching this again; it was always one of my favorite Nicktoons growing up, so it'll be interesting to see how well its aged, all these years later.

Avaitor

Not enough money, and it's not one of my favorites, so I have to pass for now. I hope it does well, though.

New blog!

Kiddington

Actually, my math was a bit incorrect in that last post. We are getting one Nicktoon set in September: Season 1 of Danny Phantom, which had totally slipped my mind.

...honestly though, does anyone here even care about that one? I'm willing to support these Nicktoons releases through thick and thin, in so many words, but even I have my limits. I mean, I hate this show; always have, always will. It's a pathetic effort by Hartman trying to be all "LOL SRS BUZINESS" that just fails miserably, because you can't actually take any of the themes in this show seriously (especially the animation style, and how it's exactly like FOP, where these characters can fit so seamlessly into that universe). And in typical Hartman fashion, it's also painfully unfunny when it tries to a comedy. It simply fails on all accounts, and I just can't see myself spending any kind of actual money on it.

I bought the Thornberrys set (which, I don't hate; I just find incredibly boring, sans Nigel), and I've even mulled over the idea of buying CatDog... but this? Nope. Unfortunately, this is where I draw the line. I just hope that if this set doesn't do well, it won't drag the others down with it.

...anyway, I bought the Beavers set today, and watched about 3-4 episodes of it earlier. I'll post my thoughts about it in that show's respective thread later on.

Avaitor

Yeah, not getting Phantom. Always thought AmDrag was better in every single way, even rewatching that now.

New blog!

Rynnec

Quote from: Kiddington on August 24, 2011, 10:29:00 PM
Actually, my math was a bit incorrect in that last post. We are getting one Nicktoon set in September: Season 1 of Danny Phantom, which had totally slipped my mind.

...honestly though, does anyone here even care about that one? I'm willing to support these Nicktoons releases through thick and thin, in so many words, but even I have my limits. I mean, I hate this show; always have, always will. It's a pathetic effort by Hartman trying to be all "LOL SRS BUZINESS" that just fails miserably, because you can't actually take any of the themes in this show seriously (especially the animation style, and how it's exactly like FOP, where these characters can fit so seamlessly into that universe). And in typical Hartman fashion, it's also painfully unfunny when it tries to a comedy. It simply fails on all accounts, and I just can't see myself spending any kind of actual money on it.

Eh, if season 2 gets released on DVD then maybe I'll buy it, maybe .

Most of the problems of the show can be traced back to creative differences between Butch Hartman and Steve Marmel (who wanted the show to take a more serious turn). Hartman won out, and it all went downhill from there.

Avaitor

Whoa.

According to Joe Murray's Facebook, not only is season 2 happening, but he's working on the cover, and there might even be legit bonuses. Super pumped now.

New blog!