The 90s Are All That

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 10, 2011, 05:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Disney owns their episodes, and Nick owns theirs. Since Nick was able to put all of Doug on their MOD service (a couple of episodes in the last season aside- why, I still don't get), they should be able to put it out on DVD.

And yeah, there's no reason to aim these releases at anyone but the people who grew up watching these shows. Also, I wonder if the resurgence of Nigel Thornberry has helped to rise the sales for the Wild Thornberrys' set.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

ToonFaithful

...It's sad that this block is probably gonna last about two months. Better than nothing though, glad they're listening to fans.

Avaitor

Well, if nothing else, season 2 of Wild Thornberrys is happening.

Looks like these are a success so far.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

As long as we get the rest of the originals (specifically Rocko) and Angry Beavers, that's good enough for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

I'll be more comfortable when Rocko/Hey Arnold/Beavers/etc. Seasons 2 sets are announced, but this is OK. At least it shows they're not planning to abandon these releases yet... and if they're going through with another Thornberrys set, the others really shouldn't be that far behind (after all, one would naturally assume the Thornberrys would end up as the weakest seller of this announced group, but apparently the first set did do well enough to warrant a second).

Spark Of Spirit

The first Angry Beavers set has season 1 and 2, since they make up 26 episodes by themselves. But season 3 is 22 and 4 is 15 (why does this show have such awkward season runs?) so I don't know how they'll handle those.

I hope we make it to the final volume so we can get the unaired finale.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Thornberrys was fairly popular though. True, it wasn't as huge as Rugrats or SpongeBob, but it did get two films released in theaters, even though one of which was a Rugrats crossover. The movie even did better than Arnold did.

But I do agree that there probably wasn't as big of a demand for it compared to the other show's they're putting out or could release. Still, I'd think that it would outdo CatDog or even Real Monsters.

New blog!

Kiddington

Quote from: Desensitized on July 25, 2011, 06:52:12 PM
The first Angry Beavers set has season 1 and 2, since they make up 26 episodes by themselves. But season 3 is 22 and 4 is 15 (why does this show have such awkward season runs?) so I don't know how they'll handle those.

I hope we make it to the final volume so we can get the unaired finale.
Ahah, that's right; I forgot that Angry Beavers had both of the first two seasons in the up-coming set. Moi mistake.

...as far as that unaired finale goes, was that episode even animated and finished? I know the voice acting was all pre-recorded (as seen here), but there doesn't seem to be any trace of this episode actually being finished beyond that; at least, as far as I can see, anyway.

Given that Nick has creative control over what goes into these releases, though, I highly doubt we see any evidence of the finale, animated or otherwise, on the theoretical Season 4 set. Nick didn't want anyone to see it the first time, so I doubt they'll let anyone set it now. But, we'll see I guess.

Quote from: Avaitor on July 25, 2011, 06:52:27 PM
Thornberrys was fairly popular though. True, it wasn't as huge as Rugrats or SpongeBob, but it did get two films released in theaters, even though one of which was a Rugrats crossover. The movie even did better than Arnold did.

But I do agree that there probably wasn't as big of a demand for it compared to the other show's they're putting out or could release. Still, I'd think that it would outdo CatDog or even Real Monsters.
Eh... I dunno. Personally, I think Nick tried to push that show a bit harder on its viewing audience than a few others, mainly because of its "edutainment undertones". I mean, was there really THAT much of a demand for one movie, let alone two? I never thought it was that popular.

...of course, you do make a good point; it did out-perform the Hey Arnold movie, which, in itself, had a pathetic run at the box office. Maybe I'm underestimating the clout that the Thornberrys had back then. Hmm...

Spark Of Spirit

I have yet to actually meet anyone in real life who liked the Wild Thornberries... if they even knew what it was. Hey Arnold I always assumed was more niche, so it didn't surprise me when the movie didn't exactly light the world on fire. They should have just did a Rocko movie, that probably would have done better than either of them.

Speaking of Rocko, did we ever learn why it was never picked up for a final season? It seems strange that it never made the 65 episode limit of the time despite its popularity.

Avaitor

I do know a fair amount of people who watched Thornberrys back then, but a lot of those were kids who would watch anything on Nick but the really weird stuff like Zim. And if Nigel becoming a meme in the way he did means anything, enough people must clearly have liked the show enough to remember it.

But I always kind of thought that Nick did push it more than kids were buying, though. I could barely sit through the show back then, unless nothing better was on CN or something. Even then, it lasted a good while, almost 100 episodes I think, and got a lot of merch. Someone must have really liked the show for them to continue selling it for that long.

And I even ended up seeing that movie.

Quote from: Desensitized on July 25, 2011, 07:10:43 PM
Speaking of Rocko, did we ever learn why it was never picked up for a final season? It seems strange that it never made the 65 episode limit of the time despite its popularity.
I actually read up on that a while ago. Apparently Joe decided to take a hiatus after the fourth season so he can focus on his real life. I think his wife just had a kid at that point. But Nick decided to end the show outright instead.

Or something to that extent. Ah well, Hillenberg got to end up selling SpongeBob since he didn't have to work on Rocko, so that worked out in his favor.

New blog!

Katie Holt

Quote from: Desensitized on July 25, 2011, 07:10:43 PM
I have yet to actually meet anyone in real life who liked the Wild Thornberries... if they even knew what it was.
I did, but seeing it now it doesn't exactly hold up.

QuoteHey Arnold I always assumed was more niche, so it didn't surprise me when the movie didn't exactly light the world on fire. They should have just did a Rocko movie, that probably would have done better than either of them.
Well, the failure of the Hey Arnold movie killed future plans that Craig Bartlett had, including (but not limited to) a spinoff series centering on the Pataki family and one final season of Hey Arnold itself. He had everything perfectly planned out and to this day he's kinda ticked it didn't work out.
twitter.com/autistic_pidge

tweet me if you wish

now back after a long absence with a different display name. yeah

Neomysterion X. Prime

I'm currently watching the block right now, and it's a decent start to a good vintage Nick network. Viacom has all sorts of good vintage teen sitcoms, sketch comedies, game shows, and Nicktoons, and more that should air in rotation.

I missed watching All That, hasn't been since 2005 or something since the last time I watched an episode of that show. I could remember Nickelodeon airing Kenan and Kel for some odd time in late 2007 or 2008 (completely forgot, but I do recall Nick airing that show somewhere around then).

...and I do remember Nick airing Legends of the Hidden Temple back in May 2007 or around then. I didn't mind short blasts into the past with all of these occurences and the old Nick Rewind block that Nick had every Sunday at 1PM with vintage Nicktoons like Ren & Stimpy, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, and even Rocket Power. :P

Since I'm a night owl type, I hope that this new programming block really does last a long time for anyone raised in the 90s or any kid who wants to experience the 90s.

Avaitor

Yeah, they've been doing little tests here and there over the years on regular Nick. There was that block, which only had Nicktoons as votable options, even some like Teenage Robot, and the brief Legends run you mentioned. Not to mention a couple of tries for Rugrats and even a brief Doug run as well. Oh, and the DVDs and Hot Topic stuff.

The funny thing is that even though kids today aren't interested, it often seems like older viewers keep up with these things. There's always been a market to bring back the old shows, and it seems like Nick's finally catching on.

New blog!

Kiddington

Too bad CN isn't also catching on.  :humhumhum:

Ah well; we've still got 9-more years left in this decade. Hopefully at some point, everybody'll decide to jump on the 90's nostalgia bandwagon like Nick seems to have.

Avaitor

Two things here.

1- Hey Arnold's out today. Anyone bought it yet? If I get some more money in the next few days, I'll pick it up. Was considering buying either it or The Fox and the Hound, which also came out this week, but I'd rather get Arnold for now.
2- Definite confirmation for Wild Thornberrys S2.

New blog!