Dragon Ball (All Series)

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 14, 2011, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on September 05, 2017, 04:58:11 PM
Krillin took out two people..
More than that even.

I know its fun to make jokes about him, but he really does deserve more respect than he gets. He's the strongest human character canonically and yet he's always treated as two steps away from Yamcha.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I do respect Krillin as a character....in Dragonball/Z. Simply having DBS's version of him eliminate some canon fodder that literally ANYONE from Universe 7 could have taken out and then be the first person from the team to get eliminated isn't exactly praise-worthy, especially when he required 18's help to do it.

For a point of comparison, he was much more useful and a better written character in the Namek arc, and he could barely even put up a fight against mist opponents there. However, what made him more interesting and less of a chum is how he took over the role as leader of the group and it was primarily his strategies that kept himself, Gohan, Bulma, and Dende alive until stronger characters Goku and Piccolo arrived.

The reason that I say that Tien has it at least a little bit better is that he helped to take down a duo that was causing half of the team trouble. While he didn't do it alone, either, it at least says something that people like Piccolo, Gohan, and even Goku and Vegeta needed his help in a strategy to take out the sniping team.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 05, 2017, 09:59:56 PM
More than that even.

I know its fun to make jokes about him, but he really does deserve more respect than he gets. He's the strongest human character canonically and yet he's always treated as two steps away from Yamcha.
Pretty much. He was knocked out by someone he'll never beat and in a sneak attack at that. No shame in that and I have been loving all the attention and development Krillin has been getting. He honestly got more episodes than even Vegeta ever since Goku Black ended.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on September 05, 2017, 11:03:50 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 05, 2017, 09:59:56 PM
More than that even.

Pretty much. He was knocked out by someone he'll never beat and in a sneak attack at that. No shame in that and I have been loving all the attention and development Krillin has been getting. He honestly got more episodes than even Vegeta ever since Goku Black ended.
That was the low point of the arc for me.

One of the major points of Krilliin in Super is supposed to be him crawling out of his rut of giving up on ever catching up to Goku. He even got some good moments and technically beat Gohan using the tournament rules. Remember, this is supposed to lead up to the end of Z where he becomes the greatest human fighter.

So in this arc after all that buildup he is beaten by a cheap shot simply so we can get more Krillin jokes. I remember seeing articles entitled "The first person eliminated is exactly who you think it is" when it happened. Every character dumped on him because he got cocky which he never even does at any point in serious battles and lost.

Seeing them drop the ball on him like that was lame.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Deviantart strikes again
Spoiler
[close]

Dr. Insomniac

What? Is she going to be an android made after the likeness of Dr. Gero's daughter or something?

Painted Outlaw

"I am a new android made by Dr. Gero"
"But, Gero's dead"
"....I am a new android made by Shut up!"
"Ooh, can I meet this "Shut up!"?"
"KAKAROT!"

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 16, 2017, 01:23:10 PM
What? Is she going to be an android made after the likeness of Dr. Gero's daughter or something?
I'm scared to find out. At this point I think Toriyama is just trolling. Yes, he actually created her...or he just mostly sucks at female characters.
Quote from: Painted Outlaw on September 16, 2017, 02:35:24 PM
"I am a new android made by Dr. Gero"
"But, Gero's dead"
"....I am a new android made by Shut up!"
"Ooh, can I meet this "Shut up!"?"
"KAKAROT!"
Vegeta [to Trunks]: Is that TEN androids I see?!

Rynnec

Daxdiv

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, with this video Mistare Fusion finally caps off the Freeza arc: https://youtu.be/GG5EYtGYHbM

As I suspected, he gave it a 5/10 in the ranking, stating that the first half contains some of Dragon Ball's strongest material and that the second half has some of its worst writing. While I do personally enjoy the arc as a whole, I do agree with a lot of his points and criticisms of it. What I appreciate though is that they are legitimate criticisms. Not useless and mis-interpreted fodder about how it's all power-ups and power-levels. Mistare Fusion actually legitimately analyzes and critiques the story structure and it's numerous strengths and weaknesses.

On another note, though, this proves that I was right about the Saiyan arc being superior and more deserving to be placed in our top 30 story arcs list whereas Lum was wrong about claiming Namek to be the better story arc. Of course I can't resist an opportunity to rub that in his face. :sly:

LumRanmaYasha

I admit, while I still love the Namek arc, in hindsight I would agree the Saiyan arc is a stronger story containing the most intense and satisfying fight in the series. There are a few things I'd change if we were to re-do the story arcs list, and switching those two would be one of them.

I was expecting MF to give Namek a 5/10 based on his praise of the first half and frustration with the second, and he made many good points which while they don't break the arc for me are definitely flaws. I'm guessing that he'll end up giving the Cell arc the 3/10 and Buu the 1/10, but I'm more interested in how he breaks down each of their strengths and weaknesses, since as much as I love the Buu arc both it and the Cell arc are by far the most unfocused and inconsistently plotted arcs.

gunswordfist

The Saiyan arc is my current favorite. I haven't finished the others in years...hell, I have never watched the others in completion and in order. Either way, Saiyan seems to be the most well put together arc in Z and Vegeta is my favorite team fight in the franchise.

Spark Of Spirit

The Saiyan arc was also the only one left completed for a long time in North America. The original run stopped at the Ginyu Force's arrival and it took forever to see how Namek ended.

That probably helps account for how popular the first half of DBZ is.

gunswordfist

Oh yeah. I waited fffoooorrrreeeevvvveeeerrrrrrr for Goku to return. I honestly meant I've only seen it in order in Kai many years later though. I am good at missing episodes of long running shows.