Dragon Ball (All Series)

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 14, 2011, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Either way, movie adaptions aside, it was sure a much better experience than GT and I'm glad it was made at all.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on January 18, 2018, 02:42:32 PM
It looks like Dragon Ball Super will be going on hiatus starting in April. The new Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro show will be taking over its timeslot.

This also confirms previous statements by Super's staff that the Tournament of Power will indeed end in March. However, it's a safe bet to assume that Super will continue or a new Dragon Ball series will be created in the future, probably after production on the new movie wraps up. Going on hiatus will definitely help the production of the series overall - Super has had a notoriously tight schedule from the beginning that has led to episodes rushed out the door without clean-up and corrections on animation, so this can help the show finally get into the groove of a healthy schedule which will lead to a better managed production and a better quality show.
"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo-" *remember Spring anime season will be lit. Oh thank God, I wouldn't have lived if not for that.
But yeah, as much as I've become a part of the "ANIMENOWDONTWAIT" problem, a break will only help. They'll obvious not stop the series so I can't wait to see what they'll return with. They also need to keep Yuya Takahashi full time.
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 18, 2018, 03:53:09 PM
Either way, movie adaptions aside, it was sure a much better experience than GT and I'm glad it was made at all.
Same. There has to be like 5 GT>>>Super guys left, but then I'm underestimating the internet.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daxdiv

With Super going on a Hiatus, I want them to continue off where the original series left off, expect for animate the part where Goku gave Uub the Kinto'un/Flying Nimbus. That was like one of my favorite additions Toriyama did for the Kanzeban release all those years back.

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So Kanzenshuu recently did a podcast on their thoughts and speculation about Super ending so suddenly.

You can listen to the full podcast on their YouTube channel, but essentially they feel that the main cause for the ending was due to the animation staff being ridiculously overworked because of Toei's poor planning and scheduling for this show since the beginning. It's no secret that Super is notorious for being hell to work on behind the scenes, and with the movie coming out later this year, there was just no way possible to divide up the team and still keep any semblance of quality going across the year. Also, in general, a lot of Super's story and pacing problems can also be blamed on the rushed production of the show.

While they do speculate that Toei is going to bring Dragonball back to TV in one way or another (Super has just done far too well financially for them to outright ignore the DB IP), they aren't expecting anything to come of it for at least a full year after Super ends. Additionally, while this would give Toei the perfect opportunity to learn from and amend their mistakes, they are doubtful that they will, because....well, because it's fucking Toei. Why else?

Spark Of Spirit

They won't learn. This has been their way of doing things for decades.

That said, it'll come back. I would be very surprised if it didn't.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

So has anybody here read that Dragonball AF manga Toyotaro drew before he was hired to do official Dragonball stuff? Because he mined a couple of ideas for Super from that old fanfic of his, like the idea of an evil version of Goku partnering up with a corrupt Supreme Kai. Maybe it can give some clues for what the next installment will do.

LumRanmaYasha

If nothing else, at least this new movie should look pretty dope. They're giving it more pre-production time than they did Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' so I'm expecting an upgrade in quality.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 29, 2018, 05:40:47 PM
So has anybody here read that Dragonball AF manga Toyotaro drew before he was hired to do official Dragonball stuff? Because he mined a couple of ideas for Super from that old fanfic of his, like the idea of an evil version of Goku partnering up with a corrupt Supreme Kai. Maybe it can give some clues for what the next installment will do.

Interesting. Is a translation of that circulating around somewhere? Curious to check it out.

Dr. Insomniac

LumRanmaYasha

Wow, you're not kidding about him reusing ideas for Super. Majin Pooh was definitely the inspiration for Botamo. At any rate, I hope he doesn't try and make his Xicor OC canon in any way. That was super cringey. Also Toyotaro really hates Goten, doesn't he? It's no wonder he's gotten the shaft in Super.

One of his ideas I could most see being used in the show is Freeza's mother being a Kai or at least some kind of god. Especially if he's brought back to life after the Tournament of Power. The Ryu'shin Realm thing could be something they could do too, minus the presence of the Shadow Dragons. I also like the idea of Android 8 partnering up with 17 as a fellow wildlife conservationist. That'd make for a cute filler episode.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've been wanting to write an article on Super and the general state of DB as a franchise right now, in terms of why it has had such a huge resurgence in popularity in recent years, the missteps that Toei has made with Super's production, and how these issues could possibly be fixed in the future. At the very least, though, I'll wait until the show has finished its run in March before I post up a piece about it.

Dr. Insomniac

I know this sounds too much of a stretch, but the Universal Survival Saga feels like a meta-narrative arguing for Dragonball's place in Toei's catalogue, where they have to fight against their other brands like PreCure (i.e. Ribrianne) and Super Sentai (the Pride Troopers), while the child-like yet sociopathic Toei overlords (Zeno) decide which of these franchises is deemed appealing enough to survive. Helps that Super is in the same time slot as some of Toei's other shows, meaning the company regularly duels with itself in the ratings.

Daikun

gunswordfist

This was the last episode Hiromi Tsuru recorded, right?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Super Eyepatch Wolf just released a pretty neat video about the impact and influence of Dragon Ball Z: https://youtu.be/tuvSwb5KM6Q