Dragon Ball (All Series)

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 14, 2011, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

They finally showed Broly on Nicktoons Network after lying about it for a week. I actually forgot how ridiculously strong he was. "Oops! Did I just blow up your planet?"
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

Caught the Broly movie today; first time in a couple of years I've seen it. Couple of notes; first off, I've always found the hard-rock BGM in these things to be horrendously distracting. I know DBZ was originally marketed as all OMG BADASS when FUNi was first toying with it back in the early days, but still; even with that considered, the music is just so painfully out of place. I know the Faulconer score, in so many words, indirectly inspired this soundtrack, but even that was done with a much more methodical and subdued approach (and isn't the kind of screamo, in-your-face bullshit like this is). These licensed tracks are just really terrible, IMO.

The dub actually holds up surprisingly well, though. I was honestly expecting that facet of the movie to be much, much worse, but all of the characters sound almost exactly like they do now in Kai (well, except for Gohan, obviously). The writing still stands to be a little corny, but that's just something we've naturally come to expect over the years.

...anyway, not a bad flick (besides the music), especially in direct comparison to some of the other DBZ movies (lookin' at you, Bio-Broly). Fusion Reborn was also on today as well; didn't stick around for that, as I was already burnt out after one. I did DVR it, though. I'll probably watch it tomorrow, if not this weekend, at the very latest.

Rynnec

I honestly don't mind the liscened soundtracks that some of the movies had. And I did like one or two of the songs in the Broly movie.  The could've at least used something a little more emotional when the other Z fighters were giving their energy to Goku however.

I think movies 4 and 5 had the best use of the liscensed songs. (The scene where Goku transforms into a Super Saiyan against Cooler is particularly effective, IMO)

gunswordfist

Quote from: Kiddington on September 16, 2011, 01:54:31 AM
Caught the Broly movie today; first time in a couple of years I've seen it. Couple of notes; first off, I've always found the hard-rock BGM in these things to be horrendously distracting. I know DBZ was originally marketed as all OMG BADASS when FUNi was first toying with it back in the early days, but still; even with that considered, the music is just so painfully out of place. I know the Faulconer score, in so many words, indirectly inspired this soundtrack, but even that was done with a much more methodical and subdued approach (and isn't the kind of screamo, in-your-face bullshit like this is). These licensed tracks are just really terrible, IMO.

The dub actually holds up surprisingly well, though. I was honestly expecting that facet of the movie to be much, much worse, but all of the characters sound almost exactly like they do now in Kai (well, except for Gohan, obviously). The writing still stands to be a little corny, but that's just something we've naturally come to expect over the years.

...anyway, not a bad flick (besides the music), especially in direct comparison to some of the other DBZ movies (lookin' at you, Bio-Broly). Fusion Reborn was also on today as well; didn't stick around for that, as I was already burnt out after one. I did DVR it, though. I'll probably watch it tomorrow, if not this weekend, at the very latest.
yeah, the music was distracting. I liked watching Broly kick ass for so long. It was also good to see them really team up on someone. I don't think Goku ever partnered with more than one other fighter in the show against an enemy. I also watched a little bit of Fusion reborn, which I've also haven't seen in years. It was just beautiful watching SS3 Goku in something I actually like. Didn't get to enjoy his presence in the Buu saga because I lost interest.
Quote from: Rynnec on September 16, 2011, 02:22:43 AM
I honestly don't mind the liscened soundtracks that some of the movies had. And I did like one or two of the songs in the Broly movie.  The could've at least used something a little more emotional when the other Z fighters were giving their energy to Goku however.

I think movies 4 and 5 had the best use of the liscensed songs. (The scene where Goku transforms into a Super Saiyan against Cooler is particularly effective, IMO)
Cooler's Revenge is my favorite DBZ movie. If I ever get the DVD, I'm replaying Cooler flying through Goku's blast over and over again.

gunswordfist

Dragonball Z Kai's greatest mistake was leaving this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkeAQG6kQw The entire saga is almost unwatchable without it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The reason that DBZ Kai doesn't have any of the music from the DBZ dub is because FUNimation wanted to stay faithful to the Japanese version this time and leave in the music that was already in the Japanese version of DBK. Of course, that was "before" that whole plagiarism shit came up, but either way they would have gotten a lot of flak from fans if they included any of the music that they used in the old DBZ dub. Most people actually hate that they changed the original musical score from the Japanese audio track and replaced it with synthesized music like that which didn't fit the tone of the series.

Besides, it wouldn't make sense to use the music from their old dub in Kai. If you want to here that music, then that's what the old dub is there for. Kai wasn't meant to be a copy and paste of the old dub, but FUNi's chance to actually do a DB anime the right way and without completely butchering the dialogue and voice acting like in the old dub.

gunswordfist

gunswordfist

Last week I realized that Goku has only killed one main villain in DBZ, Kid Buu. (which shows how lame that saga is.) Once I think about, I think that's the only person he has killed in the entire show, unless future Goku killing Frieza and his Dad counts.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

What do you mean by Future Goku killing Frieza and his father? Future Trunks does that. Unless you're referring to some spin-off that I'm unaware of, Goku never managed to actually finish Frieza off and he never even met his father (mainly because Future Trunks killed him before Goku even arrived back on Earth).

At any rate, Goku did manage to kill a useless minion or 2 throughout DBZ (such as one of Bobbidy's lackeys, who's name I forget, for example), but yeah other than Kid Buu Goku never actually killed any of the main villains. To be fair he is supposed to be the good guy of the show so I guess it makes sense that he's not a killer. He did at least defeat Frieza and the severe damage that he caused to him delayed him from getting to Earth. He also did manage to severely weaken Vegeta in their initial fight so he was still primarily responsible for saving the world in the Saiyan arc.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 20, 2011, 10:32:48 PM
What do you mean by Future Goku killing Frieza and his father? Future Trunks does that. Unless you're referring to some spin-off that I'm unaware of, Goku never managed to actually finish Frieza off and he never even met his father (mainly because Future Trunks killed him before Goku even arrived back on Earth).
I think he meant the Goku from the universe that Future Trunks came from.

Kiddington

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 20, 2011, 10:32:48 PM

At any rate, Goku did manage to kill a useless minion or 2 throughout DBZ (such as one of Bobbidy's lackeys, who's name I forget, for example), but yeah other than Kid Buu Goku never actually killed any of the main villains. To be fair he is supposed to be the good guy of the show so I guess it makes sense that he's not a killer. He did at least defeat Frieza and the severe damage that he caused to him delayed him from getting to Earth. He also did manage to severely weaken Vegeta in their initial fight so he was still primarily responsible for saving the world in the Saiyan arc.

You're thinking of Yakon, I believe. Yay for useless DBZ knowledge.  :awesome:

...anyway, according to this (not sure how reliable it is; it is a wikia, after all), he is actually the very first villain that Goku kills in DBZ. This only accounts for Z though, mind you; apparently, they aren't factoring in all of the random baddies he knocked off in the original Dragon Ball (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since it is the same character, but whatever).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 20, 2011, 10:34:19 PM
I think he meant the Goku from the universe that Future Trunks came from.

Oh, I see. Well, that's part of an alternate/parallel timeline (as clearly stated by Future Trunks himself), so I don't really think it counts. I suppose one could argue that it does, though.

Quote from: Kiddington on September 20, 2011, 10:47:41 PM
You're thinking of Yakon, I believe. Yay for useless DBZ knowledge.  :awesome:

Yeah, that's him alright. Heh, Now that I think about it I believe you're right. Well, I could have sworn that I saw Goku knock off a goon or 2 in some of the plethora of filler material that DBZ had, and maybe in some of the movies as well, which is what I may have been thinking of. But going strictly by canon material, yeah, Yakon is the first villain that he kills in DBZ.

Spark Of Spirit

Goku killed King Piccolo by firing himself like a cannon through his stomach.

It was also pretty bad ass.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, but that was Dragon Ball. Goku actually killed quite a few villains in DB. Going strictly by the parts of the manga that DBZ covered, Goku didn't really kill anyone until he fought Yakon in the Majin Buu arc.

I do agree that Goku killing King Piccolo was one of the most bad-ass moments in the entire series, though. We don't ever get epic villain death scenes like that anymore in modern shonen anime. Usually we just get some crap of the hero beating the villain and then making him change his ways or having the villain go out in some anticlimactic manner or some shit like that. I like how DB villains were at least true to their selves and stayed jack-asses right to the very end. It made them more bad-ass and made each villain demise truly epic and stand-out moments in the series. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 20, 2011, 11:24:11 PM
Yeah, but that was Dragon Ball. Goku actually killed quite a few villains in DB. Going strictly by the parts of the manga that DBZ covered, Goku didn't really kill anyone until he fought Yakon in the Majin Buu arc.

I do agree that Goku killing King Piccolo was one of the most bad-ass moments in the entire series, though. We don't ever get epic villain death scenes like that anymore in modern shonen anime. Usually we just get some crap of the hero beating the villain and then making him change his ways or having the villain go out in some anticlimactic manner or some shit like that. I like how DB villains were at least true to their selves and stayed jack-asses right to the very end. It made them more bad-ass and made each villain demise truly epic and stand-out moments in the series. ;)
Didn't this come up in Bakuman once? I think they said that a shonen hero can no longer directly kill their enemy in Jump with extreme exceptions or some sort of outside interference. It could be possible that after DB and before he started on the DBZ half that the restriction was already in place, it's just that Toriyama was really smart about using it in the story.

Uh, anyway, this is sort of off topic. But yeah, Goku only really killed Yakon indirectly and Kid Buu at story's end.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton