Alternate versions of songs

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 16, 2011, 01:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I was listening to the alternate version of No Doubt's Spiderwebs (the one on Guitar Hero) and wondering if there are other songs out there where you feel that the "official" or album version just doesn't measure up?

Other examples for me would be Weezer's Maladroit where songs like Burndt Jamb used inferior cuts (chopping off the best part of the song, the epic second solo) and outright cutting great songs like Saturday Night (way better opener than American Gigolo), Living Without You and Listen Up failed to make the album for some weird reason while boring songs like Space Rock and December made it on. I haven't even mentioned how much better the single version of Keep Fishin' is over the album version.

But I could fill a whole topic on Weezer songs, are there any songs you guys can name from some other albums/bands of yours?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

Pretty much the entire first year's worth of Joy Division is alternate versions of tracks from the Warsaw album. In many ways this is a good thing (Warsaw is pretty crummy album production wise), in some cases it isn't.

Angus

Quote from: Lord Dalek on March 16, 2011, 06:14:33 PM
Pretty much the entire first year's worth of Joy Division is alternate versions of tracks from the Warsaw album. In many ways this is a good thing (Warsaw is pretty crummy album production wise), in some cases it isn't.
I do like some of New Order's alternative versions as sung on b-sides and in concerts where they change up the lyrics.

Then there's Dire Straits Alchemy album changing up their popular Sultans of Swing with an extra guitar solo.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Lord Dalek

Dire Straits is another thing. Knopfler never sang Money for Nothing live the same way on the album. Its interesting and also a little annoying.

Angus

Yeah, wasn't really thrilled about the collaboration versions.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Commode

Quote from: Desensitized on March 16, 2011, 01:26:21 PM
But I could fill a whole topic on Weezer songs
Yeah, they did this with Make Believe as well.  The first printing of the CD version has different versions of "We Are All On Drugs" and "Perfect Situation" than later releases, and I like that first version of "Perfect Situation" much more than the familiar single version.

Another one for me is two of blink-182's first songs to get major exposure; Dammit and Josie.  There's two versions for each, the album version and the single version, and I prefer the single version of Dammit over the album version(the single version added a drum roll to the intro, which I feel makes it flow better), while I prefer the album version of Josie to the single version(the single version cut the intro pretty significantly, the album version lets it build up).
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on March 17, 2011, 10:05:15 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on March 16, 2011, 01:26:21 PM
But I could fill a whole topic on Weezer songs
Yeah, they did this with Make Believe as well.  The first printing of the CD version has different versions of "We Are All On Drugs" and "Perfect Situation" than later releases, and I like that first version of "Perfect Situation" much more than the familiar single version.
Did you know that the entire tracklist for Make Believe was chosen at the last minute?  I think the only songs that survived the cut from the original tracklist was The Other Way and This Is Such A Pity were the lone survivors (I also think they were the best songs on the album) from that tracklist. Alone even includes a song that was in early contention

The Alone albums also include some of the best song that never made a Weezer album like My Brain Is Working Overtime and Walt Disney...Like I said a whole topic on just Weezer is so easy to do. ;)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton