Hack n' Slash games

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, April 11, 2011, 03:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Play NGS, then DMC 1, 3, and 4, then MGR, then buy an Xbox 360 for NG2, then buy a Wii U for Bayonetta 1 and 2. ;)

talonmalon333

I'll probably just settle for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 when I get there. :sweat:

As for Bayonetta 1, that's on the PS3, right?

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 20, 2015, 02:09:46 PM
I'll probably just settle for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 when I get there. :sweat:
Okay, but from what I've played, it's incredibly inferior to the original, so you might not like it.

QuoteAs for Bayonetta 1, that's on the PS3, right?
Yes, but it's a pretty mediocre port, and Bayo1 comes bundled with 2 on the Wii U. So if you're going to get a U anyway, just wait to play Bayonetta until then.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Sigma 2 is fine. While I don't like most of its changes, it's still probably one of the best action games of its kind on the PS3, and for what it's worth, some of the hardcore NG fans actually prefer it. It is probably worth playing both versions of the game, since they're so different, though. As TS17 put it, there's a trade-off. The original version of the game has glaring balance issues that make the game hard and frustrating rather than fun, but that's only at certain points, and the rest of the game can be incredibly fun if you can look past the flaws. Sigma 2 removes much of the BS and is a more balanced game, yet in the process it also takes out a lot of what made NG2 great in the first place, so it never reaches the lows of NG2, but also fails to achieve the same high points.

Just stay the fuck away from NG3/RE and Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. One is a mediocre and dreadfully boring snore-fest, and the other is probably one of the worst games of last year.

Bayonetta 1 is on the PS3, though from what I hear, it has some performance issues with frame-rate and abnormally long load times, but nothing gamebreaking, and still probably the best multiplatform action game available on either the PS3 or XBOX360, but the Wii-U has the best version of the game.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on February 20, 2015, 02:16:46 PM
Okay, but from what I've played, it's incredibly inferior to the original, so you might not like it.

I mean, if I were to get a 360 for NG2, then I would have likely passed on the original Sigma and just got the XBox version as you guys seem to like that one more. :P

Quote from: Foggle on February 20, 2015, 02:16:46 PMYes, but it's a pretty mediocre port, and Bayo1 comes bundled with 2 on the Wii U. So if you're going to get a U anyway, just wait to play Bayonetta until then.

I imagine I'll get a Wii U around the time Zelda comes out, and I intend on getting Beyonetta 2 as well. If they are bundled together, then that's cool to hear. In a way, it's good knowing I have an excuse to put off that game, as there are a lot that I want to get to in the meantime. :P

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 20, 2015, 02:20:50 PM
Just stay the fuck away from NG3/RE and Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. One is a mediocre and dreadfully boring snore-fest, and the other is probably one of the worst games of last year.

I'm not sure I've heard much about that game, Ninja Gaiden Z. From your description there, it sounds like you hate it even more than 3. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Putting my extreme personal bias aside, NG3 is a mediocre game in and of itself. I hate it, but I couldn't rightfully call it bad in the sense that it borders on unplayable. As for NGZ, though, it is legitimately terrible. The gameplay and difficulty are broken, and when it does work, the combat is incredibly monotonous and lacks the nuance and responsiveness of previous NG games.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

One of the best YouTube channels dedicated to deconstructing game mechanics (besides GMTK) just did a video about Darksiders 2, presenting the good ideas that it's combat has but why it ultimately doesn't work as well as the best games in the genre.

I thought I should link to this not only because I agree with him completely, but because I think it would also help other people understand the things that the best games in the genre do and why they work so well in the first place. Just like him, I do like this game despite its faults, and would actually like to see the new one expand upon its potential if possible. Unlike most other Western action games, Darksiders at least appeals to me in its interesting art design and environments, genuinely decent soundtrack, and unpretentious approach to a narrative. The problems lie in how it takes so many great ideas and inspirations, but fails to implement them in a focused way that works well together.

Really, this does a good job of explaining why Japanese action game design in general works much better than Western sensibilities for the character action genre. That's not me being a weaboo, either. I don't generally care what country a game comes from, but in this case the genre does a lot to showcase just how different the approach is based on the development's point of origin, and why in this particular case Japanese games more often than not tend to nail down the core fundamentals a lot better.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 22, 2017, 12:34:35 PM
Really, this does a good job of explaining why Japanese action game design in general works much better than Western sensibilities for the character action genre. That's not me being a weaboo, either. I don't generally care what country a game comes from, but in this case the genre does a lot to showcase just how different the approach is based on the development's point of origin, and why in this particular case Japanese games more often than not tend to nail down the core fundamentals a lot better.
I think in general the culture created within a country's gaming industry largely affects the end products its people make. It's the same reason French films feel different from Australian films and British music sounds different from Korean music. Independent games made by smaller teams are usually the ones that end up breaking the mold because they aren't overseen by a corporation and don't necessarily subscribe to any industry culture other than their own personal one. So I don't think it's necessarily a generalization or a case of idolizing someone else's country/culture - you just prefer the way Capcom and Platinum make character action games over the way Vigil and Sony do.

A 2D character action game called The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile just got ported to PC and it's absolutely amazing. Dead Samurai was one of my favorite Xbox 360 titles when it came out but I had no idea there was a sequel and I hadn't even thought about the original in years. I went back and finally beat it (I really sucked at the time and couldn't get past the halfway point) - an excellent first crack at the genre from a new developer, especially considering it was only made by a single person, but it got extremely frustrating at times and the presentation/content diversity were lacking. The sequel fixes every problem I had with the original (though, by comparison, the Normal difficulty setting feels way too easy) and is just a joy to play. I can definitely see myself cranking up the difficulty and doing a second playthrough right away. Probably the best American character action game I've played and certainly the best 2D one.

gunswordfist

I still need to get the Dishwasher series.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The most relevant video ever made on the subject of gaming: https://youtu.be/dQoLeqjcg1U

In all seriousness, though, I 100% agree with this take on the "genre" of action games.