Transformers

Started by Avaitor, April 11, 2011, 06:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I've been wanting to make this thread for a while, especially since JO's boyfriend did his review of Animated. Here it is now. Talk about anything related to the Transformers and their animated forms, from the original to the new show.

I think I mentioned this before, but I love the original Transformers show. I remember reading about it a lot in Wizard back in the early aughts and saw that my local Blockbuster had a bunch of tapes, so I rented them all, and even bought a couple at various points. I thought it was awesome because I liked seeing robots fight, could hear Frank Welker and Peter Cullen's voices almost instantly, and thought that Starscream was epic. I especially loved the movie.

I've taken the time to watch some of it again, and while I still enjoy a lot of it, this isn't a good show at all. The inconsistencies are through the roof in terms of both animation and story, there are so many characters in the show that it's impossible for half of them to get enough development or screen time to hold up, and the humans are just worthless. It's a very dated show that doesn't hold much appeal if you didn't watch it when you were younger.

Like I mentioned in the JesuOtaku thread, I thought Animated was a good show. It kept ties to G1 while not being afraid to make fun of its weaker elements and be its own thing. The show wasn't perfect and I wasn't interested initially, but this was a damn fine Transformers show.

I'm not familiar with most of the other Transformers series. I honestly couldn't take Beast Wars seriously as a kid, but I'm willing to give it another chance soon, the Cyberton series bored me to tears, and I haven't seen the new one yet.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

As I said, I think a lot of people when they remember the series think it was like the animated movie... Which it totally wasn't. I think the movie is still a fun popcorn flick today, but the show is a lot like the old TMNT show in that I can't watch it for extended periods without feeling like my eyes are going to fall out of my head.

I'm not sure why you didn't care for Beast Wars but, other than a few shaky early episodes, I think its still a lot of fun to watch now even with the dated CG. Every character is given a defined personality, things actually happen, and it's actually well written.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Eh, that was more childhood bias than anything. I thought that transforming mechanical animals was more silly than awesome, which is why the show didn't really do much for me. Same reason I didn't get into Zoids.

Reading up on the show, I'd enjoy it a lot more now than I did back then. Eventually I'll get to it though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I even like the sequel/conclusion Beast Machines despite it being a bit overly dark. I'm still disappointed that none of the recent Transformers series have been close to as good, or why they haven't gotten another shot at the franchise. Beast Wars was like a 'Friendship Is Magic' style revival at the time, so I'm surprised that Hasbro never tried to do a series with Mainframe/Rainmaker again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

I guess we should give this a bump for Beast Wars making the list?

Seriously, Beast Wars is easily the best thing I've ever seen from the franchise. Nothing else seemed to come close.

Avaitor

I dunno, have you checked out Animated? I was going to write a little about it for the tz articles this week, but the list took top priority for me and I bailed out before I could.

But Beast Wars is high on my list of stuff to finally check out once I can.

New blog!

gunswordfist

I am not sure if I watched Beast Wars or Beast Machines as a kid but whatever it was, I did not care for it
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on April 11, 2011, 08:30:34 PM
Eh, that was more childhood bias than anything. I thought that transforming mechanical animals was more silly than awesome, which is why the show didn't really do much for me. Same reason I didn't get into Zoids.

Reading up on the show, I'd enjoy it a lot more now than I did back then. Eventually I'll get to it though.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on April 11, 2011, 08:30:34 PM

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on July 01, 2011, 01:26:24 AM
I dunno, have you checked out Animated? I was going to write a little about it for the tz articles this week, but the list took top priority for me and I bailed out before I could.

But Beast Wars is high on my list of stuff to finally check out once I can.
I haven't seen Animated. I know it's gotten positive word of mouth, but literally every Transformers show has since Beast Wars ended so it's a bit hard for me to take seriously. But if this one is actually good like you say and not boring as hell, then I'll give it a fair shake.

Dr. Insomniac

Wait, when did BM or the Unicron Triliogy get positive word of mouth?

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 01, 2011, 03:23:10 PM
They haven't, maybe aside from some delusional dihards. And Prime doesn't have a very big reception, either.

And yeah, Animated may start off a little slow, but like just about every other good action cartoon, it really picks up by the end.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 01, 2011, 03:23:10 PM
Maybe I was listening to the wrong people, but every single Transformers show got positive word of mouth and how "they finally did it!" this time.

It was actually a lot like that Sonic Cycle thing.

Avaitor

Maybe you were, or I guess it's been so long ago since all these other series have come out that I forgot about their positive reception. If that's true, then the hype must have died down fast for everything but Animated since Beast Wars.

New blog!

Lord Dalek

Don't forget RiD/Car Robot. That was pretty horrifying.