Live Music Discussion

Started by Avaitor, April 14, 2011, 12:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

So there have been a few shows I really wanted to head to this year.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor, post-rock maestros, have reunited and done a few US shows and I believe are touring either Canada or the UK now. Everyone who I heard has gone to it was completely blown away and calls it one of the best shows they've ever been to.

Great, except there were and are still no Florida dates planned.

Dinosaur Jr. is playing their landmark album Bug in its entirety now, and are even being accompanied by Henry Rollins. Sounds like a great show, but there are no Florida dates.

I also recently found out that Cold Cave, darkwave giants and The Kills, sleazy indie featuring one of the hottest women alive, Alison Mosshart, will be touring together. This sounds like a match made in heaven... except they're not coming to Florida, either. Alison is a Florida native too, which makes the sting hurt even more.

And worst of all Agalloch, my favorite modern band currently performing, has finally been doing US shows. Again, no Florida, but they did do one in Atlanta, and I had the chance to go down there if I wanted to, but it was 21 and up and now I'm going in a couple of weeks, so no luck there. Press the red button to here them on stage.

I think Mountain Goats are skipping here too, and I'm sure they're not the only ones.

It seems like every artist I like and would shell out good money to see live is not coming to the sunshine state. It would cause me to move... if I didn't have tickets to see the holy ones themselves this Sunday. Iron fucking Maiden in Tampa. Me and my two best friends. Along with Black Tide, who has a couple of passable songs from what I've heard.

But who cares about the supporting act? This is all about Maiden, and will be one of the most glorious things I've been to. I can forgive not seeing GY!BE, Dino Jr., and Agalloch to hear Bruce belt out "El Dorado" and "Rainmaker" better than ever.

I'll post about the show after I come back, but I'm already pumped.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

So yeah, went to see Iron Maiden Sunday. Needless to say, I was completely blown away.

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Most recent concert I went to was Journey w/Night Ranger back in February. Old hat, I know, but c'mon; you gotta respect the classics.

Other than than, I'm not much of a concert guy. I kinda used to be growing up, but not so much anymore. My dad used to take me to rock concerts all the time back in the 90's when I was a kid, though. Speaking of which, funny story; he actually won backstage passes to a Motley Crue concert, which he took me along for. Unfortunately for him, I was still kinda young at the time, and the security staff casually suggested that he not bring me back there to meet those guys, for obvious reasons. We still got to see the show, obviously, but the backstage passes essentially went to waste. Needless to say, he was pretty disappointed. But yeah, when I was a kid, he used to take along with him all the time. I later suspected this was his subtle attempt to get me to like the same kind of music he did. It worked, for the most part.

Nowadays? Eh... he's not really into concerts anymore, now that he's in his 50's. For the most part, I'm not either. I mean, it's still cool to go to one every now and again, but seeing as how I'm out of work at the moment and money kinda is tight, it isn't something I go and do very often. The Journey show was actually my first one in a while; last one before that was Gin Blossoms way back in September, and even that was a free concert (for the Nugget Rib Cook-Off they do every year in Reno), so it's a little different.

Angus

Hmm, haven't been to a live concert in a while; I guess videos will have to do. If you have some DVD recommendations that'd be cool. Youtube concert videos seem to be crap, and live albums can be frustrating.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon