Yu Yu Hakusho

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

True but things get much better right afterwards. I don't think it kills the show's momentum or anything because that was the team's first mission and every other one is greater.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

So because of the recent thread I finally got my hands on Eizou Hakusho + the Movie package that Funi put out.

I gotta say, the movie was a lot of fun despite basically being an episode from the show. But since I like episodes from the show, it was quite enjoyable. It was also nice hearing the original dub cast for it as well. Mu Mu Hakusho was bizarre and the Dark Tournament stuff was cute. The anti-piracy warnings are hysterical, too. Overall it's a great little package for fans of the show. If you're not a big fan, however, I can't see you getting nearly as much out of it.

It is a shame that it's missing the other movie, but it is a very good package nonetheless. I don't think they had to go out of their way to make this, but I'm glad they did.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yusuke: "You know you're not supposed to be throwing this stuff up online, right? Save that for Kuwabara's crappy-ass Megallica music, OK? Those guys can afford it." :D

The package wasn't really made for a real profit, but was a clear love-letter to hardcore fans, and shows you just how much FUNi respects and cares about the series despite it being well past its prime in terms of popularity. I wouldn't recommend it to any casual fans, of course, but I'm really glad to see that FUNi put in the effort to bring this rather obscure OVA package stateside. This is what separates FUNi from Aniplex. They actually care about the fans of the series that they put out, even niche fan-bases, because they are fans themselves.

talonmalon333

Yeah, I still need to get that package (waiting for a Blu-Ray release). I would be great if FUNimation could also get the other movie someday.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not sure if there's much point to releasing it on Blu-Ray since the Japanese versions would have to have been restored frame by frame like the series itself had been. This release is purely the Funimation staff cobbling together all this extra material for release. Apparently they had some issues because they couldn't dub the music portion of the set due to rights issues as it is.

All in all, I would recommend it to anyone on this board as it is. The content for fans is more than worth it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

My brother has been showing a friend of ours this series, and I've watched a good chunk of it with them. Currently, they are at the second round of the tournament. Just a few thoughts I feel like mentioning.

The Spirit Detective arc is good, but I was kind of just waiting for the Dark Tournament the whole time. It's just so much better.

The Saint Beasts mission has not held up well. You guys have already talked to death about this one, but as I revisit that part, I can definitely see it. I feel like Yu Yu Hakusho really makes cliches feel fresh and new, but the Saint Beasts mission makes them feel like, well, makes them feel like cliches.

I also think Yusuke's fight against the first member of the Triad, Miyuki (not sure about the spelling there), shows its age. But the theme of "I'll fight you because you're in our way" still holds strong, and the Rescue Yukina portion is just so great as a whole.

The Blu-Ray episode look nice and crisp, and they actually added English translations whenever an attack or name is shown in Japanese, but this can actually be a bit distracting because the translations are direct, whereas the names used in the dub are not. For example, when Hiei shouts "Dragon of the Darkness Flame", that's not what the translation says. Instead, it refers to the attack by its fully translated name. Minor issue, though.

The Blu-Ray version also changed the text in the opening and closing credits, as well as the text for the episode titles.

I'm so glad the Blu-Ray version changed the menus. The old DVDs were fine with an incredibly catchy background tune. However, the DVD that covers the ending of Chapter Black contained a massive spoiler not only on the menu, but on the DVD cover. Specifically, it showed Yusuke with his long hair and tattoos. I  think it was awful that FUNimation thought that would be a good idea. Anyone who first watched it with those DVDs must have figured out what would happen to Yusuke after his fight with Sensui in the cave just based on that artwork. Now, future newcomers to the series won't be spoiled (that is, unless the later Blu-Ray sets don't have menu spoilers of their own).

Spark Of Spirit

Do the Blu-rays play the second opening at the right place in the show? The DVDs are really bad with the OPs and EDs starting at the correct episodes.

talonmalon333

The second opening is the Chapter Black opening, right? We haven't gotten to that point yet, and since I don't yet have the Blu-Ray set for Chapter Black, I can't say. However, the second ending is playing in the right place, starting early on in the Dark Tournament. So, while I can't say for sure yet, I have a feeling they got it right on the second opening as well.

LumRanmaYasha

I have the blu-rays, and yeah, they start at the right places on those.

Spark Of Spirit

Looks like I'll need to invest in those at some point. The DVDs are good for the core show but the Blu-ray additions really do seem to add just enough.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Cartoon X on November 17, 2015, 10:34:22 AM
I have the blu-rays, and yeah, they start at the right places on those.

Do the later Blu-Ray sets contain any big spoilers?

gunswordfist

Of course you don't appreciate Spirit Detective. :srs:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

I never suggested that.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll be honest, I couldn't find a reliable source for the exact publishing date of the WSJ issue which first debuted the opening chapter of Yu Yu Hakusho.

However, I know that it was in December of 1990, making this month the official 25th anniversary of the series, which is effectively a quarter of a century old now.

You won't see anyone else bring this up because nobody else cares, but for me growing up on this series and having it be a big influence on what I like as well as getting me into anime, this is a pretty big deal.

Having been re-watching YYH with everyone else all year long, I can honestly say that the series still holds up so well after all of this time, and I wanted to express my gratitude to Yoshihiro Togashi for creating it, in this very post.

This manga and anime will always mean a lot to me.

Spark Of Spirit

I guess Viz must have lined up the Jump Back and digital bundle for this month for that reason.

Happy birthday, YYH. I look forward to discussing more of the show in our other thread as we head deeper into Chapter Black.