Yu Yu Hakusho

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inS9gAgSENE Yu yu Hakusho. I've been a big fan of the show since I was Yusuke's age.  :)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

I really need to re-watch YYH again at some point.  Despite it being one of my favorite anime, I really haven't revisited it in recent years.  Although,  I think I went through the entire anime 6 or 7 times when I was younger.   :sweat:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I found this Digibro video from a few months ago about why Yu Yu hakusho still holds up today: http://youtu.be/2mwouh5raDg

I think it's a pretty fair, unbiased look at the strengths and flaws of the series, and I do agree with his ultimate point that what it lacks in originality, it more than makes up for in execution and tonal complexity.

And for as much as I love the Chapter Black arc, he does have a point about the animation quality going down (aside from the Doctor episodes) by that point in the series. It's not bad, just not as lively and dynamic as the Dark Tournament arc's general quality of animation. And he's pretty spot on about Three Kings.

I only really disagree with him about the Cahapter Black arc lacking the emotional payoff of the Dak Tournament arc. While the climax itself wasn't on par in that regard, there were plenty of emotional resonant moments dispersed throughout the story arc itself.

gunswordfist

Hmm, I've been wanting to watch his Hunter X Hunter review based off of the thumbnail. I'll view both in due time.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Didn't know where to put this, but I decided to link Digibro's retrospective on Akiyuki Shinbo here because he spends a good five minutes detailing all the work he did as an episode director on Yu Yu Hakusho, and how he was responsible for the shows most visually striking moments and episodes (both times Hiei used the Dragon of Darkness Flame in the Dark Tournament, Yusuke vs. Doctor, etc.)

LumRanmaYasha

Thought I'd share this - Wave Motion Cannon translated an interview with Nozomu Sasaki, Yusuke's japanese seiyuu, from a 1993 issue of Animage. His understanding of Yusuke's character and favorite moments in the series are pretty interesting.

Spark Of Spirit

He has had some of the best roles in anime. Never get tired of hearing him. Really wish he got more roles these days.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I do love hearing a voice actor give their own insite and interpretation of the character that they play. Nozomu Sasaki in particular is a great fit for someone with Yusuke's attitude and heart.

LumRanmaYasha

A website was put up for the Yu Yu Hakusho anime's 25th anniversary.

Here's the key visual:

And a photo from Anime Japan 2017:

Don't know if this means anything, necessarily, but I wouldn't be surprised if a new anime project of some kind for YYH was announced sometime soon.

Spark Of Spirit

A new OVA or movie would be great.

Not sure a new series would do anything for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

Well Hunter X Hunter is half past dead so Togashi's got to make money to take longer hiatuses somehow.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

He's married to the creator of Sailor Moon, who still makes a fortune in royalties from that series long-lasting success to this day. I'm pretty sure Togashi could just flat-out quit at this point if he wanted to and still be set for life.

As for the 25th anniversary stuff, it's pretty neat. It's nice to see this series is still fondly remembered in Japan to this day. That said I don't really expect any new content out of this, least of all from Togashi himself. There isn't really much point since unlike HXH, Togashi actually finished YYH and it already got a complete anime adaptation. At most it may be some sort of ultimate collector's edition set being announced, or some new YYH related merchandise to cash in on nostalgia (not criticizing, here; I'd totally splurge on something like that myself if I had spare cash).

Lord Dalek

Its gonna be a pachinko machine and a maid cafe. Get used to it.

Avaitor

It feels like everything's coming back in one way or another lately, including DB and Kenshin, so part of me wouldn't be surprised if we get some form of new YYH. The reason that I'm not 100% expecting it, though, is because of Togashi's schedule, or lack thereof.

Chances are that they might just make another OVA short like the one they did for the Blu-Ray releases a couple of years ago.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Markness

I'd like to see a new anime in that art style, even if it's something short. Though I like HxH, a part of me has always wanted to see Team Urameshi back in action.