Yu Yu Hakusho

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I don't know whether I prefer western animation or anime. I pretty much hate everything. :thumbup:

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on March 23, 2011, 08:46:37 PM
Isn't the cap for demons on this side of the gate B class? I thought that came up at one point, it even upset Hiei because he wasn't A class, IIRC.
You're memory is complete ass. Hiei was upset and momentarily seperated from the group because Koenma revealed that he was a mid B level demon while Toguro was a high level B demon. Basically he was upset at not being stronger than Toguro.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 23, 2011, 09:47:34 PM
**Resident YYH expert on duty**

Toguro couldn't become stronger because he had nobody to challenge his skills nor did he have a certain unknown blood-line type power-up that a certain character would get later on. Toguro became the strongest demon on Earth, indeed, but in the process since he was so strong there was no way he could get stronger unless he had tougher opponents around to face and overcome, which he mentioned only a couple of times in the series (its classic shonen logic, but I suppose it does make more actual sense than most other shonen "logic"). The whole reason he was interested in Yusuke is because he saw potential in him to surpass him, especially when he realized that he was Genkai's disciple and was sure that Genkai would pass on most of her power to him eventually.

Quote from: Desensitized on March 23, 2011, 08:46:37 PM
Isn't the cap for demons on this side of the gate B class? I thought that came up at one point, it even upset Hiei because he wasn't A class, IIRC.

That cap has more to do with going through realms (Also, Hiei was actually a higher class demon as a child but after getting the Jagan eye implanted by Shigure his power was drastically drained until he worked his way back up to the top at the end of the series). Koenma explains in the Chapter Black arc that the realm is designed to keep out the baddest of the bad guys among demons, so its meant to block any demons of B class or higher. However, for some reason related to how it works, lower class demons that are more minute problems ranging from C class and lower can pass by unnoticed, but it was decided by Spirit World that it was a minor issue compared to letting potential planet-destroying demons into the Human realm. In fact, if you think about it the other "small-time crook" sorts of demons that are of lower classes that could pass through the barrier are pretty much what the job of the Spirit Detective was created for in the first place, hence why all of Yusuke's early foes in the 1st few arcs are all much weaker classed demons.

The whole point of Sakyo's involvement in the Dark Tournament was to win it and be granted the ability to open up a massive portal between the human and demon realms, and in many ways it should be pointed out that he was the real villain of the Dark Tournament arc. Toguro was really more obssessed with Yusuke and admitted that he no longer cared about whether he could make it to the demon realm or not, as his new focus was to draw out Yusuke's potential. Genkai even pointed out that he actually went out of his way to guide Yusuke along, in that it was his involvement that insured that Yusuke wouldn't make the same mistakes that he did in his life which it was pretty heavily implied that he deeply regretted yet accepted that he couldn't ever take it back. This is what I love about Togashi when it comes to villains. The guy can really create multi-layered characters while still making them come off as seriously threatening opposition to the main heroes.
Yu yu Hakusho has no planet destroying demons. Koenma made that clear when I believe Seaman asked why isn't the planet destroyed yet the second the barrier was cut. Koenma then explained that groups of demons would destroy cities and etc. They can't split the Earth in half or any Superman shit.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

First of all, I used it more of a figure of speech in terms of the anime, but since I wouldn't expect a dumb-shit like you to know any better, go read the manga. Its clearly mentioned that such demons exist in that. :>

Of course, I'm glad that YYH never actually bothered to go to that point, but if I were you I wouldn't try to argue with me when it comes to YYH. :sly:

gunswordfist

Post some scans, bitch, or you'll labeled as a liar.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't have a fucking scanner on me, and posting any fan translations are prohibited. How about you stop reading garbage all the time and pick up the manga from some bookstore or something and see for yourself? I just love how you can't admit when you're completely wrong so that you don't look like an idiot, but you don't have to worry about that, because everybody already knows full well how retarded you are. :sly:

Aurora

Well, it's in the manga, but not in anime. And since, I've only seen the anime, and no mention is said of it in the series I'm gonna go with there is no planet destroying demons.  ;D

gunswordfist

Quote from: Aurora on March 24, 2011, 09:53:24 PM
Well, it's in the manga, but not in anime. And since, I've only seen the anime, and no mention is said of it in the series I'm gonna go with there is no planet destroying demons.  ;D
HA!!!!!! And EK, try actually finishing Watchmen before you try and talk about me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

WTF Does that even have to do with anything, dumb-fuck?

Aurora

I have to say....I actually really like Chapter Black now. I never finished it back then........because they changed it at 5 am in the morning for starters.   :devil:

The idea of territories didn't really work with me back then, but I GOT OVER IT!  :sly:

I remember being really disturbed, and even scared by this season compared to all the rest. Seriously, I was like-  :cry:

The Chapter Black tape

The Demon Portal

The S and A class demons

Sensui's Strength and Power.

:shit:

On the plus side when I was young seeing this season.....Elder Toguro. Loved seeing him suffer at the end.  :whip:

gunswordfist

Glad you liked it. Territories are so ingenious.

Aurora

So, you all like the last Season?

It's hate at some forums, but from what I remember viewing it I don't remember being particularly bad. It defiantly could have benefited from a longer season though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The final season is pretty underrated, IMO. Its definitely a lot weaker than the Chapter Black and Dark Tournament arcs, but it had the most potential to be a great arc out of all of them. The problem lies in the fact that it was rushed. Togashi, as I have heard, originally wanted to end YYH after Chapter Black, but was forced by his editors to continue since it was still fairly popular, and he did come up with some really good ideas for the final season, but its clear that his heart wasn't really in his work by that point anymore, and he just wanted to get the series over with by that point. Even so, I think the anime did an excellent job of expanding the thin amount of material that he had there, and aside from the last few episodes which ended up resolving anything with a very rushed and disappointing tournament, I thought the rest of the arc was actually quite well-done. The hate is completely unfounded, since a bunch of people who hate it only hate it for the fact that it wasn't super action-heavy since it just threw in a tournament at the last minute. I can agree hating that final portion of it, but everything up until then was far from bad.

The whole relationship between Kurama and Yomi is excellently written and that aspect of the arc didn't feel rushed at all. I love how Yomi, who was formerly a subordinate of Kurama learned from his mistakes and Kurama's intelligence in the past and actually forced Kurama into a position of being his personal adviser against his will. I really liked how Demon World was actually shown to have its own social structure and politics, and that there were 3 kingdoms vying for power, and pretty much on the brink of all out war. It was an extremely good set-up, and in terms of execution it was handled well up until the final few episodes.

The disappointing aspects of it completely removed Kuwabara from the story and it had a disappointing resolution since it was initially building up a full-scale war which would have been interesting to see Togashi do in YYH.

Overall, though, I mostly disagree with the hate that the final arc gets. I admit that I used to be one of those people who disliked it, but upon re-watching it several times over, it has only grown on me over time.

Angus

I still think it would have been cool to see the Hiei story follow what Togashi put in the manga (sorry to spin an old thought)
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Which particular part of the manga are you referring to? Are you referencing that part where Hiei gives Mukuro a certain little "gift" (in a manner of speaking)? Because if that's so, then I agree with you. :D