Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

I thought Black Panther was all right. But it felt like a movie where the supporting characters were more interesting than the lead. Man-Ape, Shuri, Claw, and especially Killmonger were well-written, but it just made T'Challa look a little bland by comparison.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't think that I'd call T'Challa bland, myself. On the contrary, I'd say it's a strength of the film that its supporting cast was so memorable instead of this just being a one-man show. I still felt that T'Challa had an interesting arc to go through himself, though.

Dr. Insomniac

As for Adam's review, he lets his smugness cloud his vision too much to see superhero movies as anything more than children's fare, that when a film actually does something above and beyond, he's unable to comprehend it. Instead falling back on his usual complaints whether or not they actually apply.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The thing about this one is that he didn't really even point out any actual flaws in the movie other than the lack of blood in scenes where there clearly should have been some; granted, it's a PG-13 movie, but that just goes to show how heavily censored anything under an R-rating has become these days (I still remember when the PG Poultergeist was allowed to show the imagery of a dude ripping his own face off).

Other than that, he mostly just repeats that he found the movie to be boring and dumb, that all Marvel movies are boring and dumb, and gets pissed that people are treating the film as topical when it's meant to entertain kids while the Best Picture-winning 12 Years a Slave and Moonlight are somehow largely ignored.

It's at that point that I have to question why he would even bother spending money on watching more Marvel movies and reviewing them (even for a quickie) if he already knows full well that he doesn't like them.

Dr. Insomniac

I think the archetypal angry youtube critic has run out of things to complain about, so they're just stretching for things and criticizing superficial elements or people because they're unable to find legitimate issues, all the while letting their reputation become their personality and mutating into a stereotype in and out. Same thing with RLM or Moviebob. These people have run out of new things to say, so they've taken to making the "How dare people enjoy things?" argument instead of making an entertaining video.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 18, 2018, 05:11:16 PM
I thought Black Panther was all right. But it felt like a movie where the supporting characters were more interesting than the lead. Man-Ape, Shuri, Claw, and especially Killmonger were well-written, but it just made T'Challa look a little bland by comparison.
There's nothing wrong with that. MCU's problem is the villain and/or supporting cast is usually dull.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be fair to YMS, while I highly disagree with his Black Panther video or general outlook on Marvel, he doesn't beat this topic down like a dead horse as Mother's Basement does with Sword Art Online or RLM does with Star Wars. As I said, I'm not sure why he even watched Black Panther in the first place, but his superhero rant videos both begin and end with a few quickies. The vast majority of his content is still the thing that he built an audience off of in the first place, which is making fun of obscure bad movies, along with the occasional blockbuster like The Hunger Games.

The video itself doesn't really bother me. I'm just sick of the anti-superhero film mentality in general because for one thing plenty of other great movies still get made every year and for another thing nobody is actually being forced to watch MCU movies.

Daikun

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 18, 2018, 10:37:52 PMI think the archetypal angry youtube critic has run out of things to complain about, so they're just stretching for things and criticizing superficial elements or people because they're unable to find legitimate issues, all the while letting their reputation become their personality and mutating into a stereotype in and out. Same thing with RLM or Moviebob. These people have run out of new things to say, so they've taken to making the "How dare people enjoy things?" argument instead of making an entertaining video.

When does MovieBob do that? He tends to be pretty positive in his videos.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Daikun on February 19, 2018, 12:10:00 AM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 18, 2018, 10:37:52 PMI think the archetypal angry youtube critic has run out of things to complain about, so they're just stretching for things and criticizing superficial elements or people because they're unable to find legitimate issues, all the while letting their reputation become their personality and mutating into a stereotype in and out. Same thing with RLM or Moviebob. These people have run out of new things to say, so they've taken to making the "How dare people enjoy things?" argument instead of making an entertaining video.

When does MovieBob do that? He tends to be pretty positive in his videos.
He made a 3-hour rant about BvS that could have been only 30 minutes, several videos telling people they were wrong for thinking Marvel comics were going downhill while painting them all as bigots, and just comes off as pompous even when I agree with what he's saying.

Dr. Insomniac

Been thinking about how Days of Future Past and Logan work so well as finales to the X-Men movie universe, that the later installments, even the ones I like such as Legion, come off as afterthoughts. It's why I don't feel particularly hyped about the Dark Phoenix movie. The curtains have been set, and the leads have bowed to the audience.

I also like to think DOFP and Logan are parallel to each other instead of taking place in the same continuity, so DOFP functions as the good end of the X-Men where everybody's alive and Logan has another chance to be together with Jean. And Logan's the bad end where the future of the Mutants is only a ray of light rather than a definite path. Mostly because of how even though both films are wonderful, the latter movie's existence sours the happy ending of the other.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, apparently Avengers: Infinity War has had its release date moved up a week earlier to April 27th.

Kind of odd and out of nowhere, but hey, I'm not complaining. I suppose one could assume that they don't want an Avengers film and a Star Wars film (two properties both owned by Disney) potentially competing with each other in the same month, especially since Solo looks like ass and could use as little competition as possible after The Last Jedi failed to meet Disney's lofty financial expectations.

Really though, I just feel bad for any films releasing on the same week that were looking to get a little head-start over the summer blockbuster juggernaut competition. That's really got to throw a wrench in their plans.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm curious to see the New Mutants film, but as a whole I'm kind of done with that strain of X-Men film. They already had good endings, there's no point in milking it more.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I think this is going to be the first time since Disney started releasing Star Wars movies that (at least one) Marvel will beat SW in the box-office.

Err, domestically and worldwide. I forgot that Civil War did beat Rogue One globally. It helps that China doesn't give a fuck about Star Wars.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 01, 2018, 03:30:31 PM
So, apparently Avengers: Infinity War has had its release date moved up a week earlier to April 27th.

Kind of odd and out of nowhere, but hey, I'm not complaining.

This is how they made the announcement:

They really know how to use social media to market.

gunswordfist

That was so amazing. I also believe in the theory that the Fantastic Four will show up in Infinity War.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody