Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I was going to try this, but I realized that I've only seen a lot of the more recent films just once, when they were in theaters, and haven't thought much of them since.

All I know is that Iron Fist really is as bad as everyone's said, I may give AOS another shot after its likely end, and I've cooled on Doctor Strange a little since it came out. Not that my opinion on it was glowing, but it's really kind of samey.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 25, 2017, 09:09:46 PM
I don't think I've done this in a while so...

GREAT TIER:
Winter Soldier, Civil War, Daredevil S1, Luke Cage S1

GOOD TIER:
Jessica Jones S1, Iron Man, Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy

OKAY TIER:
Agent Carter, Doctor Strange, Iron Man 3, Thor, The Avengers, Ant-Man, Daredevil S2

BACKGROUND NOISE TIER:
Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk, Age of Ultron

SHIT TIER:
Thor the Dark World, Agents of SHIELD

M&MS TIER:
Iron Fist S1
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: If you have Winter Soldier as your number one. I might even like it more than DD S1 or Luke. need to rewatch.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The reception to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is rather odd. If you were to go by Rotten Tomatoes, the movie seems to be doing quite well with critics, albeit not quite as well as the first film. However, actually reading these reviews shows that opinions are a lot more "meh" about the movie then the actual scores would let on.

The real consensus seems to be that it's alright, and not much else.

Avaitor

It doesn't look like a game changer or all that different from the first one. That's what I was expecting, but if it's at least half as fun as the original, I'm sold.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Spoiler
So what's the deal with Starhawk's team in the post credits scene? I guess it might be another cameo like Howard the Duck, show some nerds the original Guardians, but it seems like a waste to get Stallone, Ving Rhames, and Michelle Yeoh out for only a few minutes of screentime.
[close]

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 08, 2017, 04:16:34 PM
Spoiler
So what's the deal with Starhawk's team in the post credits scene? I guess it might be another cameo like Howard the Duck, show some nerds the original Guardians, but it seems like a waste to get Stallone, Ving Rhames, and Michelle Yeoh out for only a few minutes of screentime.
[close]
Spoiler
I've read that Gunn is interested in using the original team in some capacity later on. Possibly in Vol 3, or maybe even Infinity War, since he is a producer.
[close]

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Spoiler
I'd be down for a Ravagers film myself. But cameos in Vol. 3 or Infinity War would be cool too.
[close]

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, there goes my unrealistic dream of ever seeing Hellboy 3 fully realized. :imnothappy:

While I can understand that this is the only real option for a franchise like this (which has had two films both underperform at the box office) to have another feature green-lit, It's hard for me to imagine them working without Ron Perlman in the role. It may be bold of me to say this, but I associate Perlman with Hellboy in the same way that I do RDJ with Tony Stark/Iron Man or Jackman with Logan/Wolverine. I just can't imagine anyone else in the role.

Rynnec

I would've much preferred an animated movie, or even an entire animated series if it meant having Perlman back as Hellboy, even if it was CG. No GDT is understandable due to having other commitments, but no Perlman is an outright crime.

Avaitor

I'm in the minority of people who didn't like del Toro's take on the franchise. Perlman was fine, but he's not that big of a loss to me. I'm interested to see a new take on the character.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I really enjoyed them, personally. Easily some of the most unique films in the genre, and personally I feel that they were ahead of their time. Back when movies like The Dark Knight and Iron Man,  while great in their own rights, were tiptoeing around the more outlandish elements and lore of their source material, the Hellboy films truly embraced the absurdity and weirdness of comic books in a way that we never really saw again until Guardians of the Galaxy. And to be honest, I feel like hey hold up better for that very reason.

Avaitor

I can see that, but I never really clicked with the films when they were out, and I found out why when I read the comics- I much prefer Mignola's original stories. That, and frankly, I think del Toro is better in theory than in actuality.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Insomniac

I found an old NeoGAF thread from 2005 regarding Marvel movies.