Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

There are reasons nobody takes NeoGAF seriously.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Zack Snyder steps down from final Justice League shoots, leaves Whedon in charge.

Before anyone makes jokes, read the article. I feel so very sorry for Snyder.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 10, 2017, 03:12:54 PM
They're rebooting Hellboy without Perlman or Del Toro, and Jeffrey Tambor says what many people think.
I wouldn't put it like that, unless there's something I don't know. I do think it'll probably suck. On the bright side, we did get 4 or 5 Hellboy movies with Ron Perlman. I'll just go watch those.
Edit: Nevermind on the loyalty thing. I can see what Jeffrey means. I didn't pay attention to who that was lol
Quote from: Avaitor on May 23, 2017, 03:39:28 PM
Zack Snyder steps down from final Justice League shoots, leaves Whedon in charge.

Before anyone makes jokes, read the article. I feel so very sorry for Snyder.
My heart goes out to him.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Rewatching Dawn of Justice right now, sort of as my way of paying respects to him, and some scenes after a rewatch aren't as bad as I remember. The "Granny's Peach Tea" quip actually has foreshadowing, for instance. Still not a particularly good movie, but there's some things I admire from a second viewing.

Spark Of Spirit

Not the way I wanted him to step down from these movies. My prayers go out to him.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

It's so bizarre that the same guy has his hands in both Justice League and the Avengers. Almost as odd as JJ Abrams being involved in both a Star Wars and Star Trek revival.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 23, 2017, 10:24:03 PM
Not the way I wanted him to step down from these movies. My prayers go out to him.
Yeah, it's really heartbreaking. He tried to continue working but couldn't, and let someone else take over rather than delay the film while he left to be with his family. Dude is a class act, regardless of the content in his movies.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's outright tragic. The death of anyone's close family member is a heavy burden on anyone's heart and emotional state, and regardless of what I think of his filmmaking, I'm genuinely sad to see any filmmaker have to step down from their position for such a devastating event in their life. Hopefully Snyder and the rest of his family are able to recover from this.

As far as the DCEU goes, in a bit of potential good news, early buzz for Wonder Woman from legitimate sources seems to be genuinely positive, including from critics who haven't liked any of the previous DC films to date. Could this finally be their turning point?

LumRanmaYasha

It's a tragedy when someone so young commits suicide, and hits close to home for me. I respect Synder for taking the time he needs to grieve, and wish him and his family well in this difficult time.

Daikun

Following the success of Deadpool and Logan, Fox continues to keep experimenting with their X-Universe in unconventional ways.

New Mutants will be a horror movie.

Avaitor

Um, okay.

I can see this one go either way, tbh.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Quote from: Avaitor on May 27, 2017, 03:31:33 PMUm, okay.

I can see this one go either way, tbh.

Fox seems to be better at breaking away from the superhero formula than making straight-up comic book movies. That seems to be where their strengths lie.

I'm pretty optimistic for this. I wanna see them milk this idea for all it's worth. They can truly stand out and compete with Marvel now instead of stagnate like they used to in the past.

Dr. Insomniac

I don't know. The last time we got a "No costumes, we're going horror!" route from Fox, it was a disaster crafted by inebriated Trank hands. And this film will be directed by the Fault in our Stars guy.

That said, I do appreciate Fox and WB trying to do something different since they know copying the MCU formula without understanding how it works is a doomed idea.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's a weird idea to be sure, but I feel like FOX knows that they have to take risks in order to keep up with Disney's Marvel output. X-Men: Days of Future Past was basically the best that they could do with the more formulaic and predictable superhero movie approach. By the time that we got to Apocalypse, the cliches and tropes were far too abundant and the set-up felt bland and uninspired (and I say that as someone who didn't even dislike the movie that much).

FOX's best recent Marvel projects have been the riskier ones like Deadpool, Logan, and Legion. Of course, that doesn't mean that they will all work, as Fant4stic has already proven, but if you have one dud and three great products out of four attempts, than clearly there is greater potential for something interesting even if the risk for fucking it up is higher as well. I don't mind taking a a spectacular dud every now and then in order to get more interesting movies like Logan, whereas churning out a bunch of safe and mediocre X-Men sequels like Apocalypse would probably be the worst thing that FOX could do at this point.

While I'm skeptical about this New Mutants movie concept, I still have to give the execs at FOX some major props for not being afraid to try new things for a genre that a lot of people have started becoming burned out on.

Dr. Insomniac

The superhero genre is sort of like a phoenix, because it always had a down period every few years before rising back up. Batman & Robin pissed people off, only for them to come back for X-Men and Blade. Spider-Man 3 and Rise of the Silver Surfer burned them out again, only for The Dark Knight and Iron Man to reel them back in.