Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Thor: Ragnarok is doing exceptionally well with the early reviews. Like, better than anyone expected from it. If the buzz is to be believed, then we may have finally gotten ourselves a genuinely good Thor movie after the mediocre first film and the outright bad Dark World. It's nice to know since I always did really enjoy Hemsworth's portrayal of Thor. It was just unfortunate that he never got any strong material to work with outside of the first Avengers movie (whereas the second inexplicably cut him out from a large chunk of the plot).

Daikun

Avaitor

Hemsworth and Hiddleston were very well-casted, but yeah, they've never gotten the movie they've deserved. It's sounding like a lot of fun, and another good addition to the MCU.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Thor: Ragnarok was a lot of fun. I know that tends to sound redundant when describing Marvel movies, but to be honest I don't see a problem with that myself. I notice a lot more snobby reviewers that like to put down MCU films for just being casual entertainment, but watching a movie like this reminds me of why it's fine to have movies of this nature as long as they are executed well, and this one most certainly is.

Dr. Insomniac

I didn't expect to see Hulk's asscheeks.

Dr. Insomniac

Daikun

Deadpool 2 trailer! (Also read the description.)

Release date: June 1, 2018

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And just as expected, the reviews for Justice League range from mixed to negative, with the most praise that I've consistently seen for the film being boiled down to "Eh, well at least it's not as bad as BVS or Suicide Squad."

At any rate, regardless of your feelings on it, this officially marks the end of the Snyder-verse. If nothing else, hopefully these can serve as an example for future DC films to learn from the mistakes of the past and not repeat them.

Avaitor

I can't believe that it happened, but it did- I walked out of an MCU film.

I was suspecting that I wasn't a fan of Taika Waititi. I absolutely hated What We Do in the Shadows. Not my kind of humor at all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on November 17, 2017, 08:18:57 PM

I was suspecting that I wasn't a fan of Taika Waititi. I absolutely hated What We Do in the Shadows. Not my kind of humor at all.
What made you walk out?

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on November 17, 2017, 08:20:48 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on November 17, 2017, 08:18:57 PM

What made you walk out?
Every single gag annoyed me. I could tell that Hemsworth was having fun, but I could tell that this wasn't going to click with me, so I decided to make a peaceful exit.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, while I did enjoy the film myself, I'm not surprised to see some people have that response. The humor can go a bit too overboard for some people, which is understandable. Humor is a very subjective thing after all and if a movie bases its entire entertainment value on comedy and you don't find it funny, then it's just going to be an aggravating experience.

I'd still say it's miles better than the previous two Thor films, myself, though (especially the second, which is flat-out terrible upon a re-watch). The gags may not work for you, but I personally felt a lot of them were played off in really clever ways. There were a few that fell flat for me, though.

Foggle

Having not seen the new Thor movie, I will say that I thought What We Do In The Shadows was absolutely hilarious and Hunt For The Wilderpeople made me cry.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, I thought Ragnarok added some spirit the past two Thor films severely lacked. Sure, it was quippy, but I've gotten used to that in Marvel films.

gunswordfist

Um yeah, it's impossible for Ragnarok to be worse than the first two Thor films.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody