Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Already my most anticipated movie of the year
Spoiler
because Robert Rodriguez
[close]
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Teaser Trailer for the new animated Miles Morales Spider-Man movie: https://youtu.be/6yPsDcKeXQ4

It's not much to go on, but I'm really digging that animation, and this trailer has at least got me more curious about this film.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, this gets me nostalgic in all of its cheesy goodness, but I'm glad that this is back: https://youtu.be/y6wdHF4r8O0

Dr. Insomniac

So what's the current list of Marvel characters that aren't allowed to be in the MCU, now that said list has considerably shrunk in light of recent events?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Updated MCU Rankings:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Captain America: The First Avenger
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. The Avengers
5. Iron Man
6. Thor: Ragnarok
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
8. Avengers: Age of Ultron
9. Captain America: Civil War
10. Doctor Strange
11. Ant-Man
12. Thor
13. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
14. Iron Man 3
15. The Incredible Hulk
16. Thor: The Dark World
17. Iron Man 2

For Age of Ultron, I still feel that the movie gets way more flak than it actually deserves. I've re-watched it several times and it has issues but also more merit to it than most people give it credit for. Civil War dropped a bit for me. I still do really like it, but I can't help but feel that certain aspects of the film stagnate its plot and hold it back from feeling as impactful as it's meant to feel. My top three I consider to be great films not just within the comic book movies genre but in general as well (some of my personal favorite blockbusters, at that). As for 4-9, I think of them as generally great genre flicks with a lot of re-watch value, just lacking the same connection that I was able to develop with my top three picks. With 10-14 I consider them to be decent for a single viewing but which I'm not all that eager to jump back into, and the bottom three I consider to simply just be bad movies. Not nearly the worst that I've seen, but the worst that the MCU has to offer so far.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just got back from seeing Black Panther. I may be biased because I'm a fan of Ryan Coogler, but this is easily a top 3 MCU movie for me, and Michael B. Jordan as Killmonger is easily my favorite MCU villain up to this point. The end of the film actually managed to reach me on an emotional level as well, which I haven't felt from any movie since Logan.

Avaitor

Black Panther might be the best MCU film. Maybe? I'll need some time to grow on it, especially after Homecoming dropped a little bit for me in hindsight. But on first viewing, I feel like it got almost everything right.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Interestingly, Homecoming actually rose a bit for me in hindsight (as did Guardians 2), whereas Civil War, while I still enjoy it, did actually drop a bit for me.

As for Black Panther, I'm pretty comfortable saying that it's either my second or third favorite MCU movie to date (The Winter Soldier is still my favorite). For comparison, Wonder Woman was a movie that was massively overhyped and I called it out on that as soon as I saw it (I still liked it). I was wondering whether the same would be true of Black Panther but Ryan Coogler once again proves that he's got talent, and that Fruitvale Station and Creed weren't just flukes.

Seriously, man, that Killmonger flashback alone puts it pretty high up there for me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Saw that. I'm not surprised since Adum has flat-out made it apparent for years that he is mostly not a fan of superhero movies aside from maybe the first two Raimi Spider-Man movies, and he hates Marvel Studios for the whole Edgar Wright incident (which is understandable, but he won't ever let that go). Even so, he gave movies like Guardians, Civil War, and Homecoming fairly positive reviews by his standards.

With Black Panther, though, while I disagree with his opinion, I'd be fine with his viewpoint on it in the same way I am with his stance on the last three Planet of the Apes films despite those being among my favorite science fiction flicks from this decade. What really rubbed me the wrong way was when he showed anger towards this movie and outright insulted the MCU fanbase for this film getting so much attention and claimed that films like 12 Years A Slave and Moonlight get largely ignored....You know, two films that both literally won best picture in their respective years and had critics praising them for months afterward.

This is exactly what my point was on what bothers me about the MCU hate. People seem to act like audiences who enjoy Marvel movies don't know any better about more artistic films. News flash, lots of people, including myself, have seen and talked about films like 12 Years a Slave, Moonlight, and other films that he and other film buffs like, while still casually enjoying fun comic book films. Those kimds of pictures are more niche than big-budget blockbusters, but that has always been the case, whether super heroes were involved or not.

I also wonder, just for shits, if he realizes that John Ridley, the writer of 12 Years a Slave, has actually written a superhero comic book before (and is currently in the process of writing a sequel to it).

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 17, 2018, 01:42:24 AM
Interestingly, Homecoming actually rose a bit for me in hindsight (as did Guardians 2), whereas Civil War, while I still enjoy it, did actually drop a bit for me.
The thing that put me off of Homecoming a little is that I don't think that it showed enough of Peter's struggles being Spider-Man. It's there a little, but he mostly gets off pretty easily. I especially don't like that Uncle Ben isn't acknowledged at all.
While Marc Webb's movies still made it seem like Captain Stacey was more important to Peter, Ben wasn't entirely ignored in those, like he was here. At the end of the day, that's still at least part of what drives Peter to do what he does, and it would've helped to make the movie feel a little whole.

Still though, Tom Holland is a damn fine Spider-Man AND Parker, while Tombs is still among the best villains the MCU has to offer.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 17, 2018, 01:42:24 AMFor comparison, Wonder Woman was a movie that was massively overhyped and I called it out on that as soon as I saw it (I still liked it).
Yeah, I definitely still think Wonder Woman was overhyped. I'd still give it a 4 out of 5, but that's about it, as opposed to the full 5 stars I'd give Black Panther and Logan, or even the 4 1/2 for Ragnarok (which in case I didn't mention before, I gave another shot and got why it clicked). Homecoming and Guardian Vol. 2 might just be 4's, but they're closer to that extra half star than WW was IMO.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/