Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

:thumbup: You have yet to see Thor 2?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 16, 2014, 02:28:15 AM
:thumbup: You have yet to see Thor 2?

Yeah, I haven't seen Thor 2 yet. Also, looks like we have the same list with the exception of me including Iron Man 3.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 15, 2014, 08:13:17 PM
Actually, while I really, really like The Avengers on a pure entertainment level, I feel that people somewhat overrate it on a level of writing, story, and character development, which is very predictable stuff, and while executed to great effect by a talented director like Joss Whedon, is not really on the level of the best of the genre like The Dark Knight. I mean, I do still adore that film, but also wholly admit that it's not really a masterpiece.

Is there really anyone who says The Avengers is more than just a fun movie that brings together all these heroes to work off each other and fight a lot of monsters? I actually haven't heard anyone claim it has more than a basic story. Of course, that basic story worked, but I'd definitely agree that it's not on the level of The Dark Knight.

gunswordfist

Yeah it is, hence the thumbs up. :) I hope I like Iron Man 3 that much as well.

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 16, 2014, 02:58:09 PM
Yeah it is, hence the thumbs up. :) I hope I like Iron Man 3 that much as well.

Most seem to agree that Iron Man 3 is much better than Iron Man 2, but probably not quite on the level of the first movie. So I might be a minority in maybe preferring Iron Man 3. I feel like Robert Downey Jr. was at his best in it, even more so than he was in the first movie.

gunswordfist

I might have to watch them back to back to really see for myself. Any word on an Iron Man 4?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

When it came out, everyone was claiming it was the greatest superhero film of all time. I have no idea how you missed that.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 16, 2014, 03:36:19 PM
When it came out, everyone was claiming it was the greatest superhero film of all time. I have no idea how you missed that.

I didn't miss that. And if people were ranting about The Avengers for having a particularly special story, then I wouldn't have missed that either. :P

GSF, I haven't heard anything on Iron Man 4.

Spark Of Spirit

Downey was signed for 3 Iron Man movies and 3 Avengers movies, if I recall correctly.

And that Whedon was a better director than Cameron.

Based on one movie.

I don't even like James Cameron much as a person, but he has done far more than Avatar and it seemed people forgot that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Didn't Whedon have a hand in Toy Story?

LumRanmaYasha

How do they forget Cameron's work on the first two Terminator movies and Aliens:whuh:

Also, the fact that he apparently wants to make a Battle Angel Alita live-action movie makes him a-ok in my book (I haven't even read much of BAA, but I do know that it is a great series).

Spark Of Spirit

He also did True Lies which I always thought was a good one.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 17, 2014, 04:46:53 PM
Didn't Whedon have a hand in Toy Story?
He took one of the passes in writing the script.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually like Whedon, but no, just no. With the sole exception of Serenity, which I love and is really underrated, nothing that I've seen of Whedon's compares to either of the first 2 Terminator movies or Aliens, and yes, I even really like Titanic even if the whole romance plot is rather cliche. It still had solid acting and the directing was executed well on Cameron's part. Honestly, while I don't love Avatar, I though it was an OK film. Yes, it is cliche and has 1-dimensional characters, but nothing about it stood out as overtly terrible to me like people claim. It was just a mediocre sci-fi movie. It certainly didn't desrve any of the high-praise it got, but it's definitely not as bad as some haters make it out to be, either.

gunswordfist

And that Whedon was a better director than Cameron.

Based on one movie.

I don't even like James Cameron much as a person, but he has done far more than Avatar and it seemed people forgot that.
[/quote]Glass hand reasons?

Spark Of Spirit

If I were to rank the Marvel movies based on their waves of releases, I'd probably rate them as such:

Captain America
The Avengers

High
Iron Man
Iron Man 3

Middle
Thor
Thor: The Dark World

Low
The Incredible Hulk
The Hulk

Bottom
Iron Man 2

I haven't seen either Hulk movies in ages, but from memories that would be what I would rate the "Wave" pictures.

gunswordfist

Whedon talk, eh? Where's Avaitor... :sly: