Neon Genesis Evangelion

Started by Avaitor, May 10, 2011, 01:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Cartoon X on May 29, 2013, 04:03:36 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on May 29, 2013, 01:00:14 PM
Tada!

Am I the only person who "got" what was going on in those episodes the first time I watched them, and also didn't think they were all that weird?  :sweat:
Yes.

Daxdiv

LumRanmaYasha

I dunno. At times the show could be a little confusing, but I caught on quick to what was going on. Of course, I went in expecting a psychologically-heavy show so I paid closer attention to scenes and dialogue than a lot of people did their first time, I suppose. There are some things I didn't and still don't get like a fair amount of the symbolism used in End of Evangelion, but as for the series itself it wasn't the life-changing experience not a really philosophically-heavy show like I was expecting from all the fuss and hearsay. I got out of it great character studies and interesting philosophical concepts (although hearing the same ideas get repeated in different ways again and again especially in the last two episodes got a little tedious), and overall I found it to be a highly entertaining, if not perfect experience, and felt it had a quite provocative and interesting story with some nicely intricate, flawed characters that helped the show discuss it's ideas on the nature of humanity, depression, and identity rather brilliantly.

If nothing else, the Instrumentality sequence in End of Evangelion is one of the coolest, saddest, beautiful, horrific things I've ever seen in animation. It's awesome and I loved it.  :D

Daikun

3.33 English dub premieres in NYCC October 11.

I guess the Toonami premiere will be much sooner than we were expecting.

LumRanmaYasha

I'm expecting either daylight savings day or thanksgiving weekend.

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Happy Evangelion Day, everyone! :blush:

Avaitor

3.33 has finally had its stateside release, to what appears to be no fanfare.

Seriously, I didn't even find out until I went to Best Buy today.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

There would have been fanfare... if the movie was actually good.

Daikun

Gainax has been sued.

Well, I guess that explains why Rebuild 4.0 never came out. Anno is behind the lawsuit, since Gainax never paid him for his collaborations with Studio Khara (which includes these films). Oops.

Lord Dalek

Dr. Insomniac

Not only is Netflix streaming Eva, they're redubbing it too. Don't know what to say. The ADV dub had flaws, but the cast grew into their roles over the show so much that it's hard to imagine anyone but Tiffany Grant as Asuka or Spike Spencer as Shinji. Even when Funi had to replace most of the actors for Rebuild since most of them left voice acting by that point, they still hired soundalikes and kept some of the old cast around.

LumRanmaYasha

I'm all for a redub since the original does have its awkward moments, but yeah, I'd want as much of the original dub cast back as possible. Especially Spike Spencer, Tiffany Grant, and Allison Keith. I associate those voices too much with the characters at this point and it'd be a shame to lose them, especially since they're enthusiastic about returning to their roles.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be honest, I got into Eva with the Japanese voices, so I don't have a specific attachment to the English dub, but it seems silly to me to recast the leads if they are still willing to be a part of the franchise.