Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/14/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-has-a-20-dlc-season-pass/ Just when I thought Nintendo Switch couldn't look any more uninteresting to me after it being overpriced and lacking upcoming games, the one game that I really wanted has now become unappealing. What a shame.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

This somehow manages to simultaneously be both an example of how to do DLC right and how to do DLC wrong. The second pack, launching almost a year from now and containing entirely new story and levels, sounds fantastic, but the first pack is downright shameless - an extra challenge room, a piece of map functionality, and a harder difficulty setting? Jeez. I feel like the industry has been getting slightly better about this kind of thing recently, and it's unexpected from a first-party Nintendo game to say the least. Won't affect my decision to buy the game, but I doubt I'll be shelling out for the season pass or that first DLC pack. There will probably be a GOTY Edition by the time I pick up a Switch anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Character Action Games, 3D Beat-em-ups, Hack n' Slash games....whatever you want to call them; this is my favorite genre in gaming. I can replay games like DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden Black just as much as Spark can for a Mario or Sonic game. Basically, the best games of this genre have so much value to me that it only takes a core few games to make it something truly special in my view.

I've come to the realization that the genre that I love is either dying out or changing for the worse. The fact of the matter is that Platinum's Transformers game is the last good 3D beat-em-up/character action game to come out this generation, and it really shows how much the genre is dying out. I really have to share in the frustration of people like myself who are fans of this genre that apparently nobody else but Platinum is making worthwhile 3D beat-em-ups anymore. It makes the gameplay reveal of Insomniac's Spider-Man game even more disheartening since it could have really been something special, but instead we are getting an uninspired Arkham clone, and I really have to say that I have come to utterly detest that franchise's influence on action games in general (even more than God of War).

On that note, I don't care about Shadow of War either. I'd rather Monolith make a new FPS, or even a new F.E.A.R. or Condemned game. The Assassin's Creed and Arkham formula derivatives have gotten so stale for me.

Yes, sorry, I know how jaded and cynical I sound, and believe me I don't like to be that sort of guy, but seeing my favorite genre being so mishandled in the current state of game development has really left me in a sour state of mind about the industry

Mustang

I haven't bothered playing these type of games for a while now. Anyway, I wouldn't say the genre is dying, but I'd definitely say it maybe changing for the worst. I will say that nobody in their right mind is playing Assassin's Creed for combat. As clunky as the controls have been for that series, yeah, no one is playing that game for combat. Folks are playing that for assassinations or just to view what "such and such" look like in a game (not to mention the historical figures). Slap them if they're saying they're playing for the combat.

Outside of Shadow of Morder, it's only Assassin's Creed. It's just been so many Assassin's Creed. Including Origins there are 10 AC games. HOLY HELL.

As for Arkham, I got nothing. I was so disappointed in Arkham Knight because I was forced to drive. If I were to ever go back and play those games, it's mainly because it feels good. I mean the impact of some of those hits just felt so good to connect, especially when one is in a bad mood.

Now, for me, you can add the Souls style to that list. Just know that I hate stamina bars. I hate them with a passion. That being said I'm seeing more and more of these type of games than what you've mentioned. I'm not gonna take anything from them because they have a butt load of people that support this style, and I get why people love these type of games. I don't have the time nor do I really care about figuring out attack patterns against the CPU these days. Strategically planning out your next move and whatnot. Yeah, I'm good. I'm already using too much brain power playing fighting games. I don't need to waste the rest of what little I have left on these type of games.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Cammy
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Souls style games aren't really that common, though. The only clones that I can think of are Nioh, Bloodborne (which is made by the same studio anyways), Lords of the Fallen, and The Surge. And of those, Nioh has more character action game qualities in its DNA than Souls style combat.

As for the fighting game comparisons, I actually think that getting good at these sorts of games would come easily to anyone adept at fighting games. Execution for moves and the timing of i-frames in good character action games are incredibly lenient compared to nailing down something like parries in Third Strike or successfully chaining combos with one-frame links. Compared to that, getting decent at fighting a predictable set of enemy AI comes off as so much easier.

Of course I enjoy fighting games quite a bit. The difference is that they require other human beings in order to be fun, and of course a loser schmuck like me has no friends who like fighting games to play against. And playing online can be a crap shoot depending on how good the net code is for any given game. Also I need to invest a decent chunk of money into a suitable controller, which is why I still don't currently own any fighting games for the PS4 (I will be investing in a stick sooner or later, though).

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 19, 2017, 04:00:59 PM
Character Action Games, 3D Beat-em-ups, Hack n' Slash games....whatever you want to call them; this is my favorite genre in gaming. I can replay games like DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden Black just as much as Spark can for a Mario or Sonic game. Basically, the best games of this genre have so much value to me that it only takes a core few games to make it something truly special in my view.

I've come to the realization that the genre that I love is either dying out or changing for the worse. The fact of the matter is that Platinum's Transformers game is the last good 3D beat-em-up/character action game to come out this generation, and it really shows how much the genre is dying out. I really have to share in the frustration of people like myself who are fans of this genre that apparently nobody else but Platinum is making worthwhile 3D beat-em-ups anymore. It makes the gameplay reveal of Insomniac's Spider-Man game even more disheartening since it could have really been something special, but instead we are getting an uninspired Arkham  clone, and I really have to say that I have come to utterly detest that franchise's influence on action games in general (even more than God of War).
Sadly, no one makes character action games anymore, period. Not even more basic ones like God of War. The last really good one I can think of is Bayonetta 2. Bloodborne, Nioh, and Nier Automata feature elements of character action games but they definitely lean more heavily toward the RPG genre (they are action RPGs, after all).

As for more traditional 3D beat 'em ups, you should definitely check out the Yakuza series. The gameplay isn't anything particularly complex but they are goddamn fun and full of spectacle in a much cooler & more likable way than GoW. Again, these are technically action RPGs, but you're not gonna have to grind loot or experience points or anything. Just beat the shit out of some gangsters, play some billiards and mahjong, watch the epic hour-long melodramatic crime drama cutscenes, and get immersed in Japan's seedy underbelly!

QuoteOn that note, I don't care about Shadow of War either. I'd rather Monolith make a new FPS, or even a new F.E.A.R. or Condemned game. The Assassin's Creed and Arkham formula derivatives have gotten so stale for me.
Agreed. Monolith is a shell of its former self and should go back to making FPS games. Blood, F.E.A.R., and No One Lives Forever 2 are almost unparalleled in the genre to this day. The Arkham formula got stale (for me) halfway through AC. :-\

Quote from: Mustang on June 19, 2017, 05:11:11 PM
If I were to ever go back and play those games, it's mainly because it feels good. I mean the impact of some of those hits just felt so good to connect, especially when one is in a bad mood.
I do agree with this, though. I'm not a huge fan of the combat system but damn it can feel good to land a blow in those games.

QuoteNow, for me, you can add the Souls style to that list. Just know that I hate stamina bars. I hate them with a passion. That being said I'm seeing more and more of these type of games than what you've mentioned. I'm not gonna take anything from them because they have a butt load of people that support this style, and I get why people love these type of games. I don't have the time nor do I really care about figuring out attack patterns against the CPU these days. Strategically planning out your next move and whatnot. Yeah, I'm good. I'm already using too much brain power playing fighting games. I don't need to waste the rest of what little I have left on these type of games.
I like the Souls series and its derivatives but I got really burned out on them and have no interest in ever finishing Dark Souls 3 even though I'd count both Demon's Souls and Bloodborne among my favorite games of all time. I really enjoyed what I played of Let It Die but I don't know if I'll ever return to it, and despite loving the Alpha, I don't think Nioh would even be on my radar if not for E-K's praise. I'm just kind of over that style of gameplay already, tbh. (But I really want to play Nioh still, don't worry!)

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 19, 2017, 05:35:25 PM
The Souls style games aren't really that common, though. The only clones that I can think of are Nioh, Bloodborne (which is made by the same studio anyways), Lords of the Fallen, and The Surge. And of those, Nioh has more character action game qualities in its DNA than Souls style combat.
There's also Let It Die and Salt & Sanctuary, which are free-to-play and 2D takes on the style, respectively. There are a lot of clones under development in the indie scene now too, so I think they're only going to become more prominent now that From stopped making them, to be honest...

Also, don't bother with Lords of the Fallen. I got it for free and still want my money back. :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ah, yes, the indie scene....in all honesty while you'd expect that to be more up my alley, I actually find a large chunk of it to be even less appealing than most major AAA titles by big publishers. Obviously there are some real gems in the mix, but I've been burned far too often by overhyped games that just turn out to be pretentious arthouse projects disguised as games.

As for Yakuza, believe me, it's on my list. I just have a bit of a backlog at the moment.

With Nioh, it works because it's only a Souls clone in the general sense of the formula, but it's mechanics have an entirely different focus. Admittedly it pales in comparison to the level design structure and interesting lore of something like Bloodborne, but it more than compensates with its incredibly engaging combat system and genuinely well designed boss fight encounters, which are actually not too focused on being overly difficult and instead are more about effectively utilizing whichever skills you decide to have your character specialize in.

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on June 19, 2017, 05:49:23 PM

I've come to the realization that the genre that I love is either dying out or changing for the worse. The fact of the matter is that Platinum's Transformers game is the last good 3D beat-em-up/character action game to come out this generation, and it really shows how much the genre is dying out. I really have to share in the frustration of people like myself who are fans of this genre that apparently nobody else but Platinum is making worthwhile 3D beat-em-ups anymore. It makes the gameplay reveal of Insomniac's Spider-Man game even more disheartening since it could have really been something special, but instead we are getting an uninspired Arkham  clone, and I really have to say that I have come to utterly detest that franchise's influence on action games in general (even more than God of War).
Sadly, no one makes character action games anymore, period. Not even more basic ones like God of War. The last really good one I can think of is Bayonetta 2. Bloodborne, Nioh, and Nier Automata feature elements of character action games but they definitely lean more heavily toward the RPG genre (they are action RPGs, after all).

It's very disheartening that I've had to resort to playing Musou-style games to get my hack'n slash fix this gen. Those games are fun for a casual play, but they have nowhere near the depth and replay value that your standard character-action games have.  There's nothing to really improve on once you've completed them other than trying out new characters and leveling them up in an arbitrary level up system that if anything limits the depth of the combat, and the bosses in such games tend to be nothing but overglorified damage sponges with little in the way of actual strategy other than using cheap tactics.

If anything, the new DOOM is the closest game that's come out in the past year that comes closest to a character action game, in terms of having incredibly fast paced yet strategic combat and weapon variety, and that's not even in the same genre.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Rynnec: While it is in the vein of Souls games, I recommend Nioh since it still has elements of Ninja Gaiden and Onimusha in its DNA. Videos like these really show how insane its combat system can be:

https://youtu.be/9b2hHtRphog

https://youtu.be/ztBAbqA0t9Y

Now, bear in mind that by no means can I nor any normal person play the way that this god among men does, but it shows that the potential is there and in that regard it really differentiates itself from the main Souls games and Bloodborne.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, the ability to play as female characters came in free update patches. It is not directly attached to the DLC. That said, I'm really surprised that there is no Ryu Hayabusa character skin, since Koei Tecmo always seems to include that Easter Egg in their Warriors of Orochi games, which aren't even made by Team Ninja, so you'd figure that this game would have it.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on June 19, 2017, 07:33:18 PM
Quote from: Foggle on June 19, 2017, 05:49:23 PM

It's very disheartening that I've had to resort to playing Musou-style games to get my hack'n slash fix this gen. Those games are fun for a casual play, but they have nowhere near the depth and replay value that your standard character-action games have.  There's nothing to really improve on once you've completed them other than trying out new characters and leveling them up in an arbitrary level up system that if anything limits the depth of the combat, and the bosses in such games tend to be nothing but overglorified damage sponges with little in the way of actual strategy other than using cheap tactics.

If anything, the new DOOM is the closest game that's come out in the past year that comes closest to a character action game, in terms of having incredibly fast paced yet strategic combat and weapon variety, and that's not even in the same genre.
I know the feeling. Shadow Warrior and Red Steel 2 are better character action games than anything made recently. And that's not what they were made to be.

I've been enjoying older stealth games more recently. I played a good chunk of Deus Ex: Human Revolution as one, and I've also played a bit of the Styx games. I do enjoy playing as a character and employing their skills to make my way through.

Unfortunately, genres are all being streamlined these days to play more like interactive movies. It simply cuts down on the options players are allowed to have when they don't want to play the interactive set piece the way the dev wants them to.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 19, 2017, 06:27:00 PM
Ah, yes, the indie scene....in all honesty while you'd expect that to be more up my alley, I actually find a large chunk of it to be even less appealing than most major AAA titles by big publishers. Obviously there are some real gems in the mix, but I've been burned far too often by overhyped games that just turn out to be pretentious arthouse projects disguised as games.
The one indie Souls clone I played was called Malebolgia. Oh god. The art style was cool but the gameplay and level design were just awful. There were like no battle sound effects at all, which made the combat really unsatisfying.

I've had pretty good luck with indie games lately, though. Check out Lisa, The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile, Khimera: Destroy All Monster Girls, The Count Lucanor, Odallus: The Dark Call, Super House of Dead Ninjas, and Lakeview Cabin Collection on Steam - they're all varying levels of fantastic. There's also a full-fledged Wolfenstein game being made by a mod team on the Doom 2 engine and the demo for it is totally bonkers. It's almost as good as The New Order, seriously.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 19, 2017, 08:15:06 PM

Now, bear in mind that by no means can I nor any normal person play the way that this god among men does, but it shows that the potential is there and in that regard it really differentiates itself from the main Souls games and Bloodborne.
Sick footage! Didn't expect anything that level from Nioh from what I played. There's three really good boss fights in Bloodborne that kind of remind me of Devil May Cry 3... unfortunately, two of them are in the DLC pack (which is amazing) and the other is in the secret level (which is also amazing).

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 19, 2017, 08:48:05 PM
I've been enjoying older stealth games more recently. I played a good chunk of Deus Ex: Human Revolution as one, and I've also played a bit of the Styx games. I do enjoy playing as a character and employing their skills to make my way through.

Unfortunately, genres are all being streamlined these days to play more like interactive movies. It simply cuts down on the options players are allowed to have when they don't want to play the interactive set piece the way the dev wants them to.
Check out the new Hitman game and Splinter Cell: Blacklist! They do a great job modernizing the classic stealth gameplay without dumbing it down, especially Hitman.

Rynnec

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 19, 2017, 08:15:06 PM
Rynnec: While it is in the vein of Souls games, I recommend Nioh since it still has elements of Ninja Gaiden and Onimusha in its DNA. Videos like these really show how insane its combat system can be:

Also, in case anyone is wondering, the ability to play as female characters came in free update patches. It is not directly attached to the DLC. That said, I'm really surprised that there is no Ryu Hayabusa character skin, since Koei Tecmo always seems to include that Easter Egg in their Warriors of Orochi games, which aren't even made by Team Ninja, so you'd figure that this game would have it.

I played the Nioh Alpha last year and generally enjoyed it. Though at the time the stamina mechanic was new to me and since Nioh punishes you for depleting all of your stamina I had a really rough time adjusting to it. Now that I've played BloodBorne and am more used to stamina mechanics, I'll probably be able to appreciate Nioh a lot more. Only reason I haven't played the final game yet is because I'm still playing through BloodBorne and my PS4 is running out of space, I'll be sure to pick it up once I find a way to upgrade my PS4's hard drive to 1 or 2 terabytes.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 19, 2017, 08:48:05 PM

I find it funny that out of all genre's, it's FPS' that are slowly breaking out of this trend and returning to its more free-style roots.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on June 19, 2017, 09:30:06 PM
Only reason I haven't played the final game yet is because I'm still playing through BloodBorne and my PS4 is running out of space, I'll be sure to pick it up once I find a way to upgrade my PS4's hard drive to 1 or 2 terabytes.
The PS4 supports external hard drives ever since the 2.0 patch a couple months ago. I haven't tried it myself, but I hear you can plug in an external drive and expand your space with no hassle or slowdown (provided it's USB 3.0).

Rynnec

Now THAT'S a huge relief. I brought a 2GB hard drive to back up my stuff before that update hit, but I'll see how well the 2.0 update works soon. Only problem will be that I usually play with headphones on. :sweat:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Rynnec: FYI, the game has undergone a lot of changes since the Alpha. Most notably, you are no longer punished to endure a recovery animation whenever you deplete your Ki (stamina in this game) normally. That only happens when your guard is broken (as punishment for over-relying on blocking) or an enemy attack depletes your Ki (however you can also do this to your enemies). You can also regain Ki faster by Ki-pulsing, which was in the Alpha, but in the final build of the game you can acquire the ability to Ki-pulse automatically when you dodge. That's right, you can actually gain stamina back by performing an action that would normally deplete it so long as you time it right (which has a much more lenient window than you might think). It's a really great system that keeps you from overly spamming attacks, while still keeping combat consistently engaging and offensive.

Also, unlike in the Alpha build your weapons no longer break on you, so you don't need need to constantly keep worrying about checking your durability. I'm glad that they removed that feature since it doesn't fit the more combo-centric nature of this game.