Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on October 13, 2017, 02:58:22 PMThis is actually one of the greatest years for gaming in history IMO.

And one of those great games is coming to your platform of choice next month, so you have fewer excuses to keep ignoring it. :humhumhum:

Well....unless it's a shit port, which is possible given the publisher involved.

Mustang

Quote from: Foggle on October 13, 2017, 02:58:22 PM
cuphead already has an easy mode though

Quote from: Mustang on October 13, 2017, 02:32:05 PM
I mean, I can see both sides of the argument, but good God, maybe it's just bad time for gaming in general.
This is actually one of the greatest years for gaming in history IMO.

Great year for sure. Bad timing as of now (Aug, Sept, and now). It seems like it's been mostly whining. Silly/petty stuff at that. Nothing here, just everywhere else I tend to go.
Street Fighter 6 - Ken, Cammy
Tekken 8 - Hwoarang, Lee, Kazuya

Spark Of Spirit

2017 gave me a new 2D Sonic, one of the best Zelda games ever, and a new 3D Mario. It hasn't been all bad.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 13, 2017, 03:43:16 PM
Quote from: Foggle on October 13, 2017, 02:58:22 PMThis is actually one of the greatest years for gaming in history IMO.

And one of those great games is coming to your platform of choice next month, so you have fewer excuses to keep ignoring it. :humhumhum:

Well....unless it's a shit port, which is possible given the publisher involved.
PC is only my platform of choice for immersive sims and multiplayer stuff atm. My system is slowly dying right now. :'( Anyway, I do plan on getting Nioh, don't worry. :D

Quote from: Mustang on October 13, 2017, 04:13:51 PM
Quote from: Foggle on October 13, 2017, 02:58:22 PM
cuphead already has an easy mode though

Quote from: Mustang on October 13, 2017, 02:32:05 PM
I mean, I can see both sides of the argument, but good God, maybe it's just bad time for gaming in general.
This is actually one of the greatest years for gaming in history IMO.

Great year for sure. Bad timing as of now (Aug, Sept, and now). It seems like it's been mostly whining. Silly/petty stuff at that. Nothing here, just everywhere else I tend to go.
Yeah, there's definitely been a lot of drama lately, whether exaggerated or justified. But damn, every game I've been interested in this year has been a winner. Every generation has that one year where it's just hit after hit and I think this is the one for gen 8.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, apparently Wolfenstein 2 "peer pressures" gamers into playing on harder difficulty settings.

Or, you know....maybe the developers just have a sense of humor.

For real, this is why I can't take game journalists seriously on any matters regarding difficulty. To be clear, I have no issue with people who prefer to play games on easier modes, or at whatever matches their skill level. The writer of the article mentions that they had much more fun playing on the game's easiest difficulty. That itself is perfectly fine, but to then complain about an obvious joke which is merely just paying homage to Id's classic games (the original Wolfenstein and older DOOM games did the exact same thing with their difficulty titles) is pretty ludicrous.

It's not peer pressure if you are given the option to have that easy mode in the first place. If the developers didn't really want people to have an easier experience with the game if the default stuff was too much for them, then they wouldn't give them that option to begin with. The fact that they did is in itself proof that they acknowledge that others may need things to be toned down a bit. The fact that they have a jokey title for it is just that, a mere joke. It's clearly not intended to demean the player or be taken all that seriously to begin with. Ninja Gaiden Black did something similar with its Ninja Dog mode, and nobody ever complained about that.

It just seems odd to see someone complain that a game offers them the easier mode that they want, but doesn't treat them like some special bad-ass for choosing to play it.

Foggle

I will say that, comparing the default difficulty settings of Wolfenstein 2 and The New Order, Wolf2 is a lot harder. At first I found it frustrating because of this, but eventually I learned that the game expects you to play it more intelligently than you would most other FPS, and the early sequences being really hard before you start getting upgrades actually makes sense in relation to the story, so I ended up finding it quite satisfying. There's nothing wrong with playing on the easier settings, of course. I don't think the game "pressures" you into not doing so, and hopefully most people old enough to be playing such a title would know it's referencing Id's classic Wolfenstein 3D, though I can see its jokeyness wounding people's fragile masculinity to the point of complaining about it online. :il_hahaha: A better subject for an article like this would be a game that deliberately cuts content out if you play on the easier difficulty settings, though I suppose that would be a different argument entirely.

Painted Outlaw

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As ususal, thank you TGBS for telling it like it is: https://youtu.be/5jMJ39_j6NQ

The funny thing is that so many critics calling this game so much better than the old series, which many of these same critics praised to no end back in their day, only goes to prove just how shallow-minded and easily impressed these journalists are. Those games WERE incredibly basic spectacle-fests with an unlikable main character and tons of violence just for the sake of it, but apparently that was enough for people to claim that they were masterpieces at the time even though people who actually cared about good action games could see them for what they were to begin with. Oddly enough, though, even those still look more interesting than the shit that just came out. I mean at least those old games had spectacle and some form of combat variety. This new game scraps even those things and swaps out a juvenile main character and story (which, to be fair, at least the old games were somewhat self-aware of that) for a pretentious main character and story. Everything else that was even remotely appealing about the series has been stripped away....but apparently that's what qualifies for good game design these days: The less actual game, the better.

Mustang

Isn't it about time you start ignoring critics?  :sly:

Joking aside, the only folks I listen to for any opinion at all is Easy Allies and even that would be a stretch because I mainly listen for the sake of hearing the conversation instead of their actual opinion on said games. On the subject of God of War I don't think I've heard them say its better than the older games, but they did mention its a great game.

As far as The Gaming Brit goes, I get why he did it, but he should've never bothered reviewing/playing God of War in the first place (That's what I can't stand. Wasting your time playing a game you know you're not gonna like. That's YouTube, no matter what you do you are not going to win against the comment section)

I don't mind the direction God of War went though. I guess that's because all the action games seem to be going the Souls route and I'm not down with that (I can't imagine a Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden with a stamina bar, ew). Not to mention that I'm also at a point where I content with simplicity (fighting games are the exception)

I will agree or acknowledge that the time we're in sucks. Sacrificing gameplay for story, that's not cool especially in games that don't need it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The thing is, TGBS says in the video that he didn't want to make it for that very reason. The only reason that he did is because a bunch of fanboys were harassing him about how he should play it after it got rave reviews since he claimed that it would suck in a video that he made two years ago, and the whole point of this video was to prove that exactly what he said was what he got so that people would shut up and stop messaging him about it.

Mustang

I guess that's where he loss me at. To be blunt I think it's weak to go that route. Just like I can't stand when people hear through word of mouth that a game is bad and still play it anyway just to see if it's that bad only to come back and start bitching about it. That's weak. To play a game you know you won't enjoy just because fanboys are harassing/pressuring you to play it. Clap back at them and tell them to fuck off or ignore them. It's already a battle he won't win because it's the internet. He might lose a few followers in the process, but he'd lose less sleep.

I'll admit that I don't tolerate much.  :sly:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's a fair enough point (I kind of get ticked off at YMS for doing the same thing with Marvel movies), but in this case I'm also incredibly biased and kind of enjoy seeing someone point out how pretentiously bland mainstream gaming has gotten, along with how useless most game journalists are.

Mustang

So we can't play games in public anymore without feeling safe?

I'm sure most of you heard about it yesterday, and I started to talk about it but I was not in the mood for it. The Jacksonville shooting had me worked up because it hit pretty close to home with me and fighting games. My time at Evo back in 2012 was great because being right there with the rest of the community felt awesome. To be apart of the crowd when Daigo lost to Infiltration and when Infiltration won it all was a good feeling.

Now you got this punk ruining it for everyone, and despite it not being said, I want to say there was some sort of "trash" talking involved. Not all people are cut out for it, I get it, but Madden of all games, you got nothing but dudes in there with high testosterone. No doubt there's trash talking going down. Honestly (I don't mean to make myself sound like hotshit) I'd put you on your ass if you take it too far (That's my old school mentality and a lot of folks in the FGC my age would do the same. The FGC in a sense police itself), but with that being said, you lose you hold that L, congradulate your opponent, think about why you lost and move on. Shooting people up because you lost, get outta here with that.

Hope the community can bounce back from that bullshit.

Dr. Insomniac

Has anybody else been following the Soulja Boy saga? It's been wild watching him die on this hill, acting like it's perfectly okay to sell game emulators and pretend Nintendo won't sue him. There's a guilty pleasure in watching these has-been celebrities unravel and die on hills like these.

Mustang

Don't get me started on Soulja Boy. That clown deserves no attention from anyone.

My beef lies within (you guessed it) the FGC. Every time I get pumped to play Street Fighter 5 I lose all interest because there's so much whining within the community. I'm old school so I stay far away from social media and stick to message boards, but all this ish is being brought to message boards now.

The latest thing people are complaining about now. The neutral game. You know that dancing back and forth game of footsies and fundamental talk, yep, that neutral game. Personally, I'm neutral (no pun intended) on the situation. I mean what's done is done. Yes, Woshige (top Guilty Gear player) is behind the gameplay/combat and you can clearly see it (with GG being a rushdown oriented game you can see how and why this is causing a rift). Street Fighter 5 is basically a rushdown heavy game. I've come to accept that. I'm what you'd consider an 09er (came in with the Street Fighter 4 crowd). My problem is with a lot of these OG players (09ers and further back). Always asking about neutral. This day in age, unfortunately/fortunately we are into combos, and for the most part a lot of people have come to accept that. The oldies are steady complaining about it instead of actually playing any of the games that heavily focuses on the neutral. I love Street Fighter 3rd Strike and continue to play every time I get the chance. 3rd Strike's small community is still striving. Street Fighter 2 Super Turbo still has a scene yet these folks want to reign on the parade of those trying to enjoy Street Fighter 5 for what it is (and no one is saying SF5 is better than those other games) .

The latest BSing counter to this sort of rant is "complaining about those complaining about the game"... Really!? So you rather waste your time complaining about said game that you don't like instead of actually playing a game that you do like? That's where we're at now within the FGC.

Don't get me started on the talk of balance either. These folks complain about balance almost everyday but don't want to give Tekken 7 a shot..  :wth: Your die hard Street Fighter folks I swear.

Sorry about the rant. Something I've been holding in for a while now.