The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Time to stop it with the suckage and make a topic for the best game series ever.

My favorites are Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker, which have the best stories and most content. I also adore Twilight Princess. And let's not forget Ocarina of Time which, as we all know, has held the title of "Best Game Ever" since 1998. The handhelds, particularly Link's Awakening and the DS title Spirit Tracks , are also great!

I owned the earlier games when I was extremely young, but didn't REALLY start the series till A Link to the Past, back when I was probably 5 or something. I still love that one, but not as much as the 3D games, or Link's Awakening.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Coincidentally I just recently came across my old N64 since I was looking for it to hand down to my little sister, since she's just old enough to start playing those games (though, since she's only 6 she just goofs around a lot in them rather than really understanding what she's really supposed to do).

Anyways, I dusted the old thing off and tried to boot it up with Ocarina of Time, and it did finally start up but only after a few attempts of me using old tricks like blowing on the cartridge and sticking in a mini-dust collecting thing to clean out the inside part of the machine where the cartridge goes. It doesn't always start-up, and if someone moves the system while a game is running it usually freezes, but other than that the games play smoothly and all of the memory from my old save files are still there, including the file where I basically did 100% of everying in Ocarina of Time.

So, I've basically been replaying OoT via a new file, and I'm having a blast with it. Its been well over 2 years since I last touched the game, but badly aged graphics aside, the game holds up almost perfectly, IMO. My only current gripe with it is that the game won't ever save the area of your location, but just any of the items that you've collected and the overall progress you've made with locked or obscure areas in a dungeon. Its a bit annoying having to start back from Kokiri Village everytime I start up the game. Other than that, though, its still just as fun as I remember it. I'm currently at the part where I have to get the Goron's Stone from Dodongo's Cavern (though, I haven't actually entered the cavern yet).

Anyways, after I beat OoT again, I may go on to replay Majora's Mask, as well.

talonmalon333

That's awesome! I think my cartridge still works, though I was kind of a jerk to it when I was younger (for example, glitching the game into converting totally into Japanese). It's aged wonderfully like you said. And even graphic-wise it doesn't look awful, which is how most PS1 games look now. One thing I like about the game is how easy it is to play. Of all the 3D Zeldas, this one is the easiest to pick up and play nonstop, even if it's not my favorite. Admittedly it's not too tough these days, but I won't claim I DIDN'T have trouble on the Water Temple back in the day.

Also, I'm just curious. Like, when did you get it? There's difference between versions depending on how early you bought the copy. Like, some of the sound effects are altered, music has been completely changed, and so on. Do you know how new your copy of the game is?

Spark Of Spirit

I look forward to getting the 3DS version of OoT, as I like my Zelda's portable, but my heart will always belong to the 2D games.

I really wish we could see Nintendo make a new LA/LTTP style game. It's been so long.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Fuck the Water Temple. I hated that shit. Still do.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on May 29, 2011, 09:44:59 AM
I look forward to getting the 3DS version of OoT, as I like my Zelda's portable, but my heart will always belong to the 2D games.

I really wish we could see Nintendo make a new LA/LTTP style game. It's been so long.

Four Swords Adventures for the GameCube was that 2D style, and it was BEAUTIFUL.

Quote from: Foggle on May 29, 2011, 09:56:20 AM
Fuck the Water Temple. I hated that shit. Still do.

I think it's awesome. It's Ocarina of Time's only hard dungeon. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I may be the only one who didn't find the Water Temple to be all that hard. There were some tough puzzles in there, and if you ever had to deal with enemies underwater while wearing the iron boots it would be a real nuissance, but other than that it was all fairly straightforward, IMO.

Oh, BTW, out of curiosity, am I the only one who got freaked out by the Shadow Temple as a kid....or at least the underground passage beneath the well....

talonmalon333

Difficulty-wise, me go...
Water Temple > Forest Temple > Fire Temple > Shadow Temple > Spirit Temple

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 29, 2011, 11:20:27 AMOh, BTW, out of curiosity, am I the only one who got freaked out by the Shadow Temple as a kid....or at least the underground passage beneath the well....

No, no you are not.

Spark Of Spirit

I never found it all that hard either. Inventory switching with the boots was kind of boring, but it wasn't anything mindbendingly hard.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I guess I just get lost really easily. :sweat:

gunswordfist

Link's Awakening is the only Zelda game I've ever beaten.

Never got to play Ocarina Of Time.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

Water Temple still gives me trouble from time to time, even now. It's just a very easy place to get lost in. The puzzles themselves aren't that bad; it's just trying to find your way around, more than anything.

...but yeah, I love OoT. I make it a point to play through it again, at least once every other year. And honestly? It never gets old. Must be the nostalgia factor; either way, I absolutely love that game.

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 02, 2011, 11:19:37 AM
Never got to play Ocarina Of Time.
:whuh:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Kiddington on June 02, 2011, 03:11:13 PM
Water Temple still gives me trouble from time to time, even now. It's just a very easy place to get lost in. The puzzles themselves aren't that bad; it's just trying to find your way around, more than anything.

...but yeah, I love OoT. I make it a point to play through it again, at least once every other year. And honestly? It never gets old. Must be the nostalgia factor; either way, I absolutely love that game.

To be honest, I don't think it only holds up form nostalgia. A lot of its gameplay mechanics STILL feel very well implemented today, and even after all of the modern games with their sandbox gameplay and big environments and such, this game doesn't feel the least bit small in comparison. It still feels like its as big and expansive of a world as ever, and I really get immersed in exploring all of the towns and temples and other areas and such, in order to find every last heart container or other special items. I can agree that other 3D Zelda games are probably mechanically better games than this one, but I still find that this one has my favorite design by far out of all of them (in terms of how its world is designed and how the quests play out). Also, seeing as how every Zelda game has its "gimmick," this is my favorite one, what with being able to switch between child and adult link and going back and forth through time.

Of course, I must admit, I STILL have yet to get a chance to play Twilight Princes but, one of these days....

Avaitor

A friend on FB linked to the Great Fairy Mountain music, and now I have a major urge to play OOT again. Majora, too. I'll try to buy a card to get them both later.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

So guys, what would you say is the best song in the game?