The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I'm doing the preorder soon, and the game will be either a late birthday or early Christmas present, depending on whatever decision my mom and I make.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Wow, I just realized that I think I've gotten every Zelda game short of the N64 ones within the launch month. Skyward Sword is most likely in my future.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

The Zelda community is currently in an uproar. Why? Well somehow, the Skyward Sword text dump has been leaked.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm still ignoring all news on this game. I want to go into this blind.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on November 09, 2011, 01:41:31 PM
I'm still ignoring all news on this game. I want to go into this blind.

I think this thread's avoided news. As for SS, I've avoided news too... But people who've kept up with it are telling me the story is good... like, really good. AND the controls are perfect. AND the difficulty is great. AND the game is full of content. AND the graphics are gorgeous.

So yeah, SS couldn't come soon enough. I'm hoping it'll at least be as good as Wind Waker or Twilight Princess.

Angus

Are we still expected to buy Wii Motion Plus wands? And how many?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

talonmalon333

Quote from: Angus on November 10, 2011, 05:33:49 PM
Are we still expected to buy Wii Motion Plus wands? And how many?

It's sold separately. But there's also a collector's edition that comes with a gold Wii Motion Plus.

Angus

Got that Gold thingy pre-ordered   .3. suppposedly comes with a music CD too. I guess we'll have another player for Mario Kart ;)
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, the game has been getting pretty high review scores (as expected for a Zelda game) from most gaming sites and magazines, but for some reason a lot of people seem really pissed off about 1 review in particular, which is Gamespot's review (they gave the game a 7.5/10).

I haven't seen the review myself, so I'm not sure what the big fuss is over one review (especially from a site as biased as GS), but from what I've heard apparently the reviewer said that the controls were bad but then admitted to not knowing how some particular key functions were supposed to work (that's only what I've heard, anyways). Personally I don't really care about reviews, but just for reference no other review that I know of complained about the controls at all (most were apparently surprised by how fluid it was, for a Zelda game that fully utilized motion controls).

Personally I'd have picked this game on on day 1 (it'd be the rare occasion where I'd save up for a game months in advance and pre-order myself a copy of it) if I actually owned a Wii. I still really want to get a Wii for this, and of course Twilight Princess as well.

Spark Of Spirit

Heh, Gamespot was the outlier on Twilight Princess, too. It's just one of those franchises they don't care for, I'm guessing.

Avaitor

Isn't OOT one of like, 2 games to get a perfect 10 from them, though?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on November 16, 2011, 06:25:14 PM
Isn't OOT one of like, 2 games to get a perfect 10 from them, though?

As far as I know they've given 4 games a 10 (probably more than that, but that's all that I know of): OoT, Soul Calibur, MGS4, and GTA4.

It should probably be noted that so far, Skyward Sword's average score is 94/100 (according to Metacritic), so its still fairing extremely well among most reviewers. I believe IGN even gave it a perfect score.

Foggle

7.5 is still a good score. I can't see why people would complain unless the scores were <6.

Besides, they're just reviews. Unless a legitimately good title is unfairly bashed or a terrible/mediocre game is praised as being excellent, I don't see why anyone should care. Fanboys should just play the damn game and decide for themselves.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on November 16, 2011, 08:23:18 PM
7.5 is still a good score. I can't see why people would complain unless the scores were <6.

Fanboys of big franchises in particular just can't stand it when a game series they love gets a game released that scores anything less than a 9/10, for some reason. They feel as though those games are just obligated to get high scores just because they are part of a great franchise, regardless of their own merits as a stand-alone title.

As I said, though, personally I stopped giving a fuck about review scores a long time ago. At best its useful enough to use a review score average to gauge whether or not a game is generally fun or total garbage, but even in that case you can't trust review averages too much because the games could still be fun but the critics may be too busy being snobs about trivial shit to notice that (see games like Duke Nukem Forever and Splatterhouse to get what I'm talking about).

Avaitor

I know Perfect Dark also got a 10. I think the first MGS might have too.

But yeah, you guys are right, reviews are meaningless.

New blog!