The Parks

Started by Avaitor, May 27, 2011, 05:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

Ooh, I remember going to Hershey Park long long time ago. No what scale it is these days.

Bummer that Jaws is gone.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

Y'no, as I've been thinking about it, I do wish that EPCOT added Canada to the park.

They can have a Tim Hortons, so the east coast can finally get one, as well as a replica Second City Theater, a Niagara Falls ride, and I'm sure more.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/24/the-simpsons-themed-area-coming-to-universal-studios-florida

Whelp DLA, it looks like I'll be making the trip down to Florida sometime in the future.  I just gots to ride that Escalator to Nowhere.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Now that's a good way to celebrate the 25th anniversary!

I actually haven't been on the ride, though. I've only been to Universal Studios twice (but I've been to Islands of Adventure a lot), and didn't get a chance to ride it either time- one of the people I was with the first time can't handle rides like that, so we had to pass, while the second was when I went to see Demi, and I only had an after 5 PM pass, so little time for anything but her.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

I've only ever been to Universal Hollywood,  back in like 2000, so yeah way before the attraction existed.  I've always wanted to ride the ride though...

Google says an 11 hour drive from Norfolk to Orlando.  I think I can manage that, I've got Sirius to keep me company.  I wouldn't be able to do it until September at the earliest, that should give it enough time to actually open.

Avaitor

New blog!

Commode

I know, I'm still thinking about it.  From what I understand Universal is actually two parks, so how much is it to go to both of them?  It kind of seems pointless to go down there and only see one and not the other.

And I don't even want to think about DisneyWorld, even though I'd have to go if I go to Orlando.

Avaitor

There are deals where you can go to both for a certain amount of days for a cheaper price than to just do one or the other. Keep in mind, though, that I'm not a great person to ask about prices for these places, since I'm used to the Florida resident discounts. You'll have to check on your own.

But even if you only go to one of the parks, there is CityWalk, which is free. Which reminds me, I still need to go to the Whopper Bar over there.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

You're along way from home city boy... I'll start a tab.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Quote from: Avaitor on June 06, 2013, 12:57:28 PM
There are deals where you can go to both for a certain amount of days for a cheaper price than to just do one or the other. Keep in mind, though, that I'm not a great person to ask about prices for these places, since I'm used to the Florida resident discounts. You'll have to check on your own.

But even if you only go to one of the parks, there is CityWalk, which is free. Which reminds me, I still need to go to the Whopper Bar over there.
I'm sure I can get some sort of military discount.

Avaitor

Thanks to No-Personality's suggestion not that long ago, I'm watching more of Some Jerk With a Camera's videos, and found this list. As a Floridian, I think it's really cool!

11: Maelstrom- Sadly, my experience at EPCOT is mostly limited to restaurants, shops, and some of the sights. I've always wanted to ride this though.
10: Rock n' Roller Coaster: Aw yeah, I love this one. Aersomith and a fast coaster? Yes, please! And screw you man, Here We Go Again is a fantastic album.
9: Test Track- Yeah, haven't rode this one either. But it looks like fun!
8: The Cat in the Hat- Ooh, I rode this one when I went to Universal last month. It's very cute!
7: The Great Movie Ride- I've only been on this one once, because whenever we do MGM/Hollywood, no one else wants to go on. But the film lover in me makes me it a lot of fun for me.
6: Kilimanjaro Safaris- I haven't done Animal Kingdom at all, but I really want to go on this one with my mom, who can't do most rides, but is very interested in AK.
5: Spider-Man- This recent trip to Universal was the first time I didn't do Spider-Man while there, which saddened me. We went on Transformers, which is supposed to be the same thing, but isn't nearly as awesome.
4: Mickey's Philharmagic- I saw this once, and it was a lot of fun! I'd gladly go again. And I remember that Lion King show it replaced. That was around back when we went to Disney a bunch, and it was my mom's favorite thing at the park. I got sick of it after a while, but now I kind of miss it.
3: Men in Black Alien Attack- Ugh, I never get the high score on this one, but I love it each time.
2: Expedition Everest- Something else I really want to do. :/
1: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey- It really is good stuff. I do recommend it, and I'm not even much of a Harry Potter fan.

New blog!

talonmalon333

So recently, a friend of mine, who is a big fan of Disney World and has been there multiple times, went to Disney Land for the first time, since it would be a newer experience than going to Disney World again. He said what I figured he would, that it's certainly not as good as Disney World (World has many awesome parks, Land has two, one of which is supposedly a slightly less awesome version of Magic Kingdom), but he's glad he went there instead. Apparently Land is also really good for a smaller, three to four day trip (when we went to Disney World years ago, we went for a full week and still felt like there was more to do). I hear some of its advantages are the much smaller walking distances between parks (no need to ride buses to get back and forth between parks), and that California Scream is one of the best Disney rides ever. Makes me miss Disney World, and of course I'd love to check out Disney Land, some day.

I also wonder about the Disney parks around the world, such as Disney Paris. Of course, I'm sure none of them top Disney World since it's so big, but I wonder what most people consider to be the second best Disney park overall.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Is Harry Potter a Universal ride, or was it part of another them park? Either way, I haven't been to. Universal, Islands of Adventure, or Disney World in over a decade, each, so I never would have had a chance to go on any of the relatively recent rides added to any of those parks.

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 29, 2014, 07:51:15 PM
Is Harry Potter a Universal ride, or was it part of another them park? Either way, I haven't been to. Universal, Islands of Adventure, or Disney World in over a decade, each, so I never would have had a chance to go on any of the relatively recent rides added to any of those parks.
Harry Potter is a part of Universal. Right now, just Islands of Adventure has Hogwarts, but Universal Studios is getting Diagon Alley come this summer.

After seeing Hogwarts and Springfield up close, I kind of wish that Universal could keep the rights to their Marvel land at IOA indefinitely (there are no plans for it to go just yet, but there's little chances of them keeping it for good). When Islands opened up, Universal just wasn't as good at building aesthetics for their parks as Disney is, but they have really stepped up their game recently, so I would love to see them redo their Marvel section.

Oh, and for WDW vs. Disneyland, World has more and bigger parks, obviously, plus California doesn't really have anything like Epcot or Animal Kingdom, some overlap in attractions aside. But Disneyland has its perks from what I understand.

1- It's the original park, the only one that Walt was able to experience as it opened.
2- Disneyland has more, stronger unique attractions to it as compared to Magic Kingdom (not factoring in the other parks outside of the US). The Indiana Jones, Alice, and Pinocchio rides, as well as the Matterhorn Bobsleds, all look awesome.
3- Including Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Snow White Scary Adventures, which MK doesn't have anymore.
4- Apparently, Disneyland's Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Peter Pan are stronger than their WDW counterparts, and they also have an awesome update to Big Thunder Mountain that we have yet to receive. Although I've also heard that we have the better Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on May 30, 2014, 10:24:12 AM
Oh, and for WDW vs. Disneyland, World has more and bigger parks, obviously, plus California doesn't really have anything like Epcot or Animal Kingdom, some overlap in attractions aside. But Disneyland has its perks from what I understand.

1- It's the original park, the only one that Walt was able to experience as it opened.

That's true. There is something special about it for that reason. Though it's also true that Disney World was still Walt's idea and vision. He just didn't live to see it fulfilled.

Quote from: Avaitor on May 30, 2014, 10:24:12 AM2- Disneyland has more, stronger unique attractions to it as compared to Magic Kingdom (not factoring in the other parks outside of the US). The Indiana Jones, Alice, and Pinocchio rides, as well as the Matterhorn Bobsleds, all look awesome.
3- Including Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Snow White Scary Adventures, which MK doesn't have anymore.

Wasn't Mr. Toad's Wild Ride replaced with a Pooh ride? Or was that in Disney World?

Quote from: Avaitor on May 30, 2014, 10:24:12 AM4- Apparently, Disneyland's Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Peter Pan are stronger than their WDW counterparts, and they also have an awesome update to Big Thunder Mountain that we have yet to receive.

That's what I heard. I actually remember thinking that Big Thunder Mountain was slightly underwhelming (still awesome, just not as good as I thought it would be before I first went on it).

Do you know anything about the other Disney parks around the world?