The Simpsons

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 29, 2011, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Eddy on July 05, 2011, 03:06:54 PM
I also stopped watching the show on a regular basis years ago. It is sad to see what The Simpsons has become, but nothing can take away what made those great seasons so great. When I catch Simpsons reruns they still manage to make me crack up. I should really get those classic seasons on DVD.

"Hello, my name is Mr. Burns. I believe you have a letter for me."
"Alright, Mr. Burns, what's your first name?"
"...I don't know."
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

So... in case you guys haven't heard, I thought I'd pass along a bit of information here:

Right now, Best Buy has every season of The Simpsons (those that are currently available on DVD, obviously) on sale for $17.99. If you still have any catching up to do on your collection, especially with some of the older and harder to find sets, I'd suggest heading down there soon. For these prices, it's a great deal (especially since the majority of Simpsons DVD sets tend to cost at least $20-$25 on Amazon alone).

Avaitor

I'm still behind on a few, but I'm also really low on cash. I'll probably get another one or two at Target on Black Friday this year, when they're around $10-$13.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

Pffft, you guys are slow.  Just about every set I've gotten on launch day, with only a couple being very soon after.

And I could care less if I spent full price on them, to me it was worth it(well, for most them so far).
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Sounds cool, but I'm content with my first ten season sets.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

I would assume most people are already pretty well caught up, but still; it's a good sale for those who are lagging behind a bit.

...anyway, I did buy one set today; Season 11, to be specific. Yes, that Season 11, when the hit-or-miss ratio really went off the charts. For $18, though, it's not a bad deal... and since it's been a while since I've seen the majority of this season (usually I tend to avoid these episodes when they're on TV, for obvious reasons), I may find a few hidden gems that I missed the first time around.

I may or may not buy the other two I'm still missing later this week; we'll see. I've got some money saved up, but being out of work again and all, I've been trying to keep most of my purchases lately under $30.

Avaitor

Still wonder why [as] or other cable networks aren't airing repeats of the show? This might explain it.

There's enough episodes now to fill up a channel, and there should be plenty more by the time it ends (and I, for one think Fox will call it a day when one of the main voice actors dies; they can take out Phil Hartman's characters, but Dan Castellaneta and Hank Azaria are irreplaceable), but is there really a demand for an all-Simpsons channel? Just about all the best episodes are already out on DVD. Who in their right mind would want to watch season 21 repeats at 2 AM?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on September 17, 2011, 02:14:17 PM
Still wonder why [as] or other cable networks aren't airing repeats of the show? This might explain it.

There's enough episodes now to fill up a channel, and there should be plenty more by the time it ends (and I, for one think Fox will call it a day when one of the main voice actors dies; they can take out Phil Hartman's characters, but Dan Castellaneta and Hank Azaria are irreplaceable), but is there really a demand for an all-Simpsons channel? Just about all the best episodes are already out on DVD. Who in their right mind would want to watch season 21 repeats at 2 AM?
There's someone who can watch decade-old Family Guy reruns or random Spongebob episodes. Surely, they can find someone who thinks this is the best use of their time.

Avaitor

Eh, true. You'd think that repeats would be a dying thing, thanks to the age of DVDs and the internet, but syndication seems as viable as ever.

There probably is a market for an all-Simpsons channel, as much as I'd like to think otherwise.

New blog!

Kiddington

I find the proposed idea of an all-Looney Tunes channel much more intriguing, as it, IMO, actually makes sense. Sure, the average LT short isn't as long as an average Simpsons episode... but the sheer volume of material in that animation library alone would be more than enough to fill out a days/weeks worth of programming. At the very least, it's a far more viable idea than an all-Simpsons network (which, just saying the mere idea aloud, sounds ridiculous).

If they are seriously considering this, they might as well just go ahead and make the Animation Domination brand its own network, or what have you. At least that makes a little sense, for variety sake. Simpsons, Family Guy, AD, Cleveland, King of the Hill... hell, maybe even throw in some old Futurama (or raise Jay Sherman from the grave) for kicks. Certainly they can do better than run one series, and one series only, ad nauseum for 24 hours a day.

Commode

I can't see that working very well at all.  Even with the amount of episodes they have at the moment, if the channel was launched this fall it'd would have long grown old by the end of the year.  I honestly don't see a whole channel dedicated to one sole franchise(no matter what it is) working well at all, it would become stale, and vastly contribute to the staleness of the franchise itself.

I still think giving the rerun rights to cable networks is the best route.  Every other classic show from television history has gone this way, and many of the best ones are still ran somewhere on cable to this day.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

Lord Dalek

Daxdiv

I still think Fox will cave in and give the VAs all the money they demand like all the other times this has happened.

Avaitor

They'll reach a compromise. I don't think the show's going to end just yet.

New blog!