The Simpsons

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 29, 2011, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

As if the show's ratings are the reason why they keep it around.

They'll cave.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I don't know, I think this time the show actually stands a pretty good chance of getting the axe, as evidenced by the attention it's getting.  The last few times the headlines read "Simpsons cast members in contract dispute".  Now they read "The Simpsons Facing Cancellation?"  It just seems more serious this time around.

There's several other factors. Like the fact that it's not profitable anymore, and the ratings are low.  Or, as pointed out in several places like here, Fox could conceivably gain hundreds of millions of dollars by ending the show.  Fox would still get buttloads of money from merch and such too, since if they sell the air rights to cable you know the show will be all over the place.

I don't know, anything could happen, but I honestly think it doesn't look good for the show.  Even if Fox caves, I don't think it'll be that dramatically, and the VA's won't get what they want.  I personally don't think it'll get canceled, something will be worked out, but at the same time I can't say I'm honestly hoping it doesn't get axed.  I just don't want it to be dumped unceremoniously; I'd like to see it end with some dignity.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

You could be right, but honestly I think they're still going to try to squeeze a few more seasons out of the show if only for the attention it would receive after surpassing a few other records. I don't see it making it far past season 25, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

To be fair, when I first heard about the possible Simpsons channel, I did start to think that the show might end soon enough if they're talking about cancellation like that now. But I wasn't expecting it to come this soon.

And I still think they'll reach a compromise. At the same time though, Fox makes enough with MacFarlene's shows, Glee and American Idol (and New Girl isn't a slouch in that department itself so far) that they could do without the show at this point. Anything can happen.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

Yeah didn't something similar occur 5-6 years ago?

Kiddington

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on October 05, 2011, 08:10:26 PM
I don't know, I think this time the show actually stands a pretty good chance of getting the axe, as evidenced by the attention it's getting.  The last few times the headlines read "Simpsons cast members in contract dispute".  Now they read "The Simpsons Facing Cancellation?"  It just seems more serious this time around.

There's several other factors. Like the fact that it's not profitable anymore, and the ratings are low.  Or, as pointed out in several places like here, Fox could conceivably gain hundreds of millions of dollars by ending the show.  Fox would still get buttloads of money from merch and such too, since if they sell the air rights to cable you know the show will be all over the place.

I don't know, anything could happen, but I honestly think it doesn't look good for the show.  Even if Fox caves, I don't think it'll be that dramatically, and the VA's won't get what they want.  I personally don't think it'll get canceled, something will be worked out, but at the same time I can't say I'm honestly hoping it doesn't get axed.  I just don't want it to be dumped unceremoniously; I'd like to see it end with some dignity.

Yeah, this cannot be stated enough. It'd be a real shame for the show to just have the axe dropped on it without even getting a proper finale in the process. It's done too much, and deserves a far better outcome than that (even if the last few seasons have been... well, you know).

Sketch

Honestly at this point I don't remember what a "good" episode of The Simpsons is. I'm just so used to it being mediocre.

It'd be nice if it could make it to 25 seasons but it's coming upon the 500th episode and many would argue it should have ended years ago.

Now that I hear that ceasing production would mean FOX could get The Simpsons on cable and I could see the old episodes on TV again, I'm kind of leaning towards cancellation but cancelling a show for money disputes is such a lousy way to go after so many years on the air.

I think the voice actors could take the pay cut of 45 percent but their offer to take 30 percent is a lot more reasonable and FOX should just do that and extent it for 2 more years but if it ends with this season I'm not gonna shed a tear. I generally agree with the folks who feel the conclusion of the show is long overdue.

Commode

Well, the feud is over, the cast took a pay cut, and Fox has renewed the series for two more seasons.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150853795895557

For those that choose not to use FaceBook:
QuoteFOX ORDERS DOUBLE D'OHS OF "THE SIMPSONS"

Longest Running Scripted Series on Television is Renewed Through Season 25

FOX has renewed THE SIMPSONS, the longest-running comedy in television history, for an incredible 24th and 25th season, bringing the series total to an astonishing 559 episodes. THE SIMPSONS airs Sundays (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

In the words of Homer Simpson, "Woo Hoo! I outlasted Andy Rooney!"

The longest-running scripted show in television history, THE SIMPSONS exploded into a cultural phenomenon in 1990 and has remained one of the most groundbreaking and innovative entertainment franchises, recognizable throughout the world. Matt Groening created the iconic family: Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie. In February 2012, THE SIMPSONS will celebrate its historic 500th episode. The series has won 27 Emmy Awards, been the subject of a hit feature film, created "Krustyland" and a revolutionary virtual coaster – The Simpsons Ride – at Universal Studios, received a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame, been honored with five U.S. postal stamps personally designed by Matt Groening, and named the "Best Show of the 20th Century" by Time Magazine.

Following the MLB American League Championship Series and World Series games on FOX, THE SIMPSONS returns with all-new episodes beginning with "Treehouse of Horrors XXII," on Sunday, Oct. 30 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT). In the spooky opener, Homer takes a dangerous dive into an isolated canyon on Candy Peak, but when a crashing boulder traps his arm, he channels Aron Ralston (guest voicing as himself) to save himself. In "The Diving Bell and Butterball," the first of three hair-raising Halloween tales, a venomous spider bite leaves Homer paralyzed, but when Lisa discovers Homer's ability to communicate through natural gases, he is able to express his love for Marge. The killer spells continue in "Dial D for Diddly," when Ned Flanders, devout preacher by day, transforms into a cold-blooded vigilante by night. In the final terrifying tale, "In the Na'Vi," Bart and Milhouse are assigned on a mission to access a sacred extract on a distant planet. They morph into the land's indigenous one-eyed avatars, but when Bart finds love and an eternal mate abroad, he is caught in planet warfare.

THE SIMPSONS is a Gracie Films Production in association with 20th Century Fox Television. James L. Brooks, Matt Groening and Al Jean are the executive producers. Film Roman, a Starz Media Company, is the animation house.

Visit THE SIMPSONS website at www.TheSimpsons.com. Become a fan of the series on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesimpsons and follow Homer Simpson @HomerJSimpson.
They'll never stop The Simpsons, have no fears, we'll have stories for years...

Rosalinas Spare Wand

25 is a good number to end it on for those with intense OCD and for anniversary purposes.

Still, I am very curious to see how the lead up to the last season will be. Prime time shows never fail to promote the hell out of their last year on the air, and considering how iconic The Simpsons has been for Fox, I'm willing to bet they'll get a huge year long send off from the network itself.

All of which will be countered by the show making constant cancellation jokes until the very last episode.

Commode

Yeah, but nothing's saying that season 25 will be the last one though.  True, we now know that Fox doesn't have too much interest in keeping the show for much longer(then again this could have just been a ploy to get what they wanted), but who's to know if season 26 and beyond is somewhere down the pipeline?

Still, I'm rather surprised that Fox damn well knew they could've made hundreds of millions of dollars by ending the show after the season, and they chose to keep it for at least two more years(thus losing money for two more years).  I guess that option is always on the table though, no matter how long the show goes on for, once it does end it'll be a popular syndication and cable distribution choice.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm pretty sure this is it for the show now. If the actors were willing to take the cut, it was probably only to squeeze these two seasons out and at least end it right.

There's really no reason to keep it going past that point, anyway.

Lord Dalek

Yeah if Fox Animated Sitcoms are cursed by anything, its lousy unfulfilled finales.

talonmalon333

Season 25... I'm assuming that will be 2013 correct?

Kiddington

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 08, 2011, 10:23:43 AM
Season 25... I'm assuming that will be 2013 correct?

Nope; 2014, actually. We're in the midst of Season 23 right now (2011-2012); 24 will be in 2012-2013, and 25 will conclude in 2013-2014.

Angus

I was trying to figure out if the show still gave me a laugh. It almost did. What? Neil Gaiman in yesterday's episode?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon