The Simpsons

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 29, 2011, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

This is still up there.

But there's plenty of classic scenes we can list all night.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Do you remember the first episode you saw?

I barely remember seeing the early seasons, but I was watching the show since before I can even remember. I used to have Homer At Bat on a tape and would watch it all the time, I used to love that episode. I would catch reruns every day, too. Since this was long before DVDs, and this was the only way to see the show on any sort or regular basis.

I think I stopped watching about three seasons ago. Not out of any sort of malice towards it, but I just felt that I had seen enough and was ready to move on. I still own the first ten seasons on DVD and rewatch them (well more 2-9 than the other two) every now and then, and am really surprised at how well it all holds together.

I'm still kind of surprised that MacFarlane could get 3/4 shows and we couldn't get one Simpsons spin off. I would have watched "Skinner & The Superintendent"!

Still, what a fantastic show.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Oh man, I have no idea. I do remember when I first started watching the show, though. I was finally allowed to watch a "grown-up cartoon" and watched the syndication slots daily. I think that happened around the time season 9 was airing, so I caught on around the glory years.

I also remember having a 3-tape set of Halloween-themed VHSes I got a year or two after I got into the show. Only one of them had Treehouse of Horror eps, but another one had "Cape Feare", so I watched them pretty regularly.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I personally consider season 9 one of the classics. I know it has its detractors, but I personally think it's really funny and the writing still has a lot of life to it. Season 10 has a lot of cracks, but it has a lot of gems in it, so I don't mind having it in my collection.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'm still paying catch-up on the DVDs, and I'll stop after 10 myself, maybe on discount. Same with the first 2.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Also, I would say this show is the prime example of not knowing when to stop. While it still makes money (mostly merchandizing), around season 10 when the cracks began to show and the staff was all but gone, they probably should have called it a day.

Like, you all know how much I loathe seasons 11 and 12 (while newer seasons may be forgettable, nothing they've ever done is as terrible on average as these seasons) but when Al Jean came back in season 13 as show runner.... The show became locked in time, it never changed, it never really tried anything new, and it fell into the loud humor Family guy style of comedy, forgetting character humor along the way. It feels like an overly long epilogue that just won't end, nothing to add to the main story, just forever wrapping up loose ends while creating others and repeating plot points you might have forgotten.

None of the show's creators were even involved post-season 10 and it shows. I'm hoping they just end it soon and move on. There's just nothing left to do in Springfield and there hasn't been in years.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on May 29, 2011, 10:07:03 PM
I'm still paying catch-up on the DVDs, and I'll stop after 10 myself, maybe on discount. Same with the first 2.
Same here. Well I got up to season 4 or 5 on library DVDs anyway. Made me consider The Simpsons the most immersize show ever.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Commode

Only one of my favorite things ever.  I've been watching this damn show about as long as I can remember(somewhere in the late second season), actually remember when it aired on Thursdays instead of Sundays, remember when they moved it back to Sundays, was there when it entered syndication and I could watch it for an hour every day, and only really stopped watching the new seasons a couple years ago.  I had toys, keychains, T-shirts, and of course the video games for the SNES and Game Boy(didn't play the NES games until I actually got a NES later on in my life) at an early age.  My parents never objected to me watching the show either, which I was always grateful for, because I knew kids that couldn't watch Hey Arnold!, never mind The Simpsons.

For me, pretty much anything from season one to season sixteen is watchable, but my favorites are seasons 3-7.  At this point though, I don't really care if the show stops or not, because even if it does it's bound to come back again down the road(hopefully when it does, the quality will be better than it is now).  The only thing that I think that should end is Al Jean's tenure as showrunner.  He's been in way to long and has dragged the show down with him.  I truly think if you got some new blood in there that potentially the show could be awesome again.

As for one of my favorite moments, it comes from an episode I don't really recall(I think it was "Trilogy of Error", but I could be wrong) and it's where Chief Wiggum receives a dispatch to "123 Fake Street", and later on in the episode you see the address surrounded by cops.  I love how over the top the joke is, that what seems to be an obviously fake address is actually a real place in Springfield.

And of course some of the classics are always good.  "I for one welcome our new insect overlords", "My Eyes!  The goggles do nothing!", etc.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on June 10, 2011, 07:21:31 PM
Only one of my favorite things ever.  I've been watching this damn show about as long as I can remember(somewhere in the late second season), actually remember when it aired on Thursdays instead of Sundays, remember when they moved it back to Sundays, was there when it entered syndication and I could watch it for an hour every day, and only really stopped watching the new seasons a couple years ago.  I had toys, keychains, T-shirts, and of course the video games for the SNES and Game Boy(didn't play the NES games until I actually got a NES later on in my life) at an early age.  My parents never objected to me watching the show either, which I was always grateful for, because I knew kids that couldn't watch Hey Arnold!, never mind The Simpsons.

For me, pretty much anything from season one to season sixteen is watchable, but my favorites are seasons 3-7.  At this point though, I don't really care if the show stops or not, because even if it does it's bound to come back again down the road(hopefully when it does, the quality will be better than it is now).  The only thing that I think that should end is Al Jean's tenure as showrunner.  He's been in way to long and has dragged the show down with him.  I truly think if you got some new blood in there that potentially the show could be awesome again.

As for one of my favorite moments, it comes from an episode I don't really recall(I think it was "Trilogy of Error", but I could be wrong) and it's where Chief Wiggum receives a dispatch to "123 Fake Street", and later on in the episode you see the address surrounded by cops.  I love how over the top the joke is, that what seems to be an obviously fake address is actually a real place in Springfield.

And of course some of the classics are always good.  "I for one welcome our new insect overlords", "My Eyes!  The goggles do nothing!", etc.

Lord Dalek

I did a Best Episode Ever entry extolling my love for Cape Feare, so I'm gonna go with that.

Spark Of Spirit

There's a reason Conan is a national treasure.

Geezer

I don't know why, but I find this scene hysterical.  It's still one of my favorites.

Pretty sad what the show's become.  I stopped watching it regularly ten years ago and haven't looked back since.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Geezer on July 03, 2011, 11:23:55 PM
I don't know why, but I find this scene hysterical.  It's still one of my favorites.

Pretty sad what the show's become.  I stopped watching it regularly ten years ago and haven't looked back since.
I stopped watching around the same time as well. adult swim replaced the show just because I had cable. I had no clue it gotten so bad until I checked it out again years later

Eddy

I also stopped watching the show on a regular basis years ago. It is sad to see what The Simpsons has become, but nothing can take away what made those great seasons so great. When I catch Simpsons reruns they still manage to make me crack up. I should really get those classic seasons on DVD.

"Hello, my name is Mr. Burns. I believe you have a letter for me."
"Alright, Mr. Burns, what's your first name?"
"...I don't know."