Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

In my opinion, the greatest genre in gaming and the most influential by far.

Platformers are essentially obstacle courses designed around the player utilizing the skills (and environment around them) in order to scale the environment around them. This spun out into many other genres taking cues from different aspects such as action platformers becoming shooters and hack n slash games, and Metroidvania style games turned into adventure games (with help from Zelda and text adventures, of course) and most action games. Even most early FPS games contain platforming elements, though most were eventually fazed out even if they left the jump in for some reason.

So what are the best platformers? I dunno, the ones that are the most fun! Let's discuss them here.

My favorites:

1. Super Mario Bros. 3 - Something about this game has always resonated with me more than any other Mario game. It might be the tight level design and dead on feel the game gives you, the great art design and music, and the great stage and world ideas. But of all the Mario games, this is the one I replay the most.

2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Durr. Like you didn't know I would pick this. Sonic games are weird for me, because unlike Mario games I don't play them to blast from point A to B as fast as I can. No, I use them to explore the environment for hidden paths and power ups while at the same time aiming to get the fastest time possible, and beat the baddies. S3&K rewards exploration the most of any Sonic game, and in my opinion, probably more than any other platformer by far.

3. Mega Man X - The peak of the action platformer. Masterful level design that encourages both speeding through and exploring, as well as enemies that are really satisfying to blow up. There is no Mega Man game better.

4. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Like a living cartoon, no? Despite the glorious art style, music, and dead on controls, the level design is masterful. Easy enough for casual play, yet challenging enough for 100% completion.

5. Kirby Superstar - The single best thing to come out of the Kirby franchise, this game does it all and has so much content (all of it excellent) that it's hard to really sum it up. The only negative is that not a single Kirby game released since has come close to it in awesomeness.

6. Donkey Kong Country 2 - While it can get a bit over the top with the difficulty, it really is one of the best in the genre. Secrets everywhere, and surprises in every level, it is by far the best game in the series.

7. Mega Man 3 - The best of the classic series. The game is the longest by far, the slide makes the gameplay far smoother on the player, and the blance of powers is just right. Also, you gotta love the top spin, right?

8. Contra - Yeah, this is a bit of a stretch, and the sequels put more emphasis on shooting things to crap with crazy guns, but the first game had a lot of dodging obstacles via jumping, ducking, and even shooting things out of your way before it hits you. While the sequels put platforming on the backburner, it's very much as important as shooting in this one.

9. Sonic The Hedgehog - Yeah, I like the first game more than the sequel. More platforming, and the lack of the spindash means more careful usage of speed is needed, the level tropes are great, the music is excellent and the difficulty (other than Labyrinth Zone, which should have been right near the game's end) is just right. I love this game.

10. Rocket Knight Adventures - By far the best game to come out of the whole mascot craze, like a crazy combo of Contra and Sonic, this was a real gem of a game that was unfortunately overlooked and forgotten over time.

11. Klonoa - The game was perfect on the PS1, but with the definitive Wii version anyone can experience this classic for cheap (the original game is expensive as hell), but the simplistic controls and creative 2.5D level design still date well and the charm is still there by the bucket load. I just wish people would buy these games.

12. New Super Mario Bros. Wii - The return of the king. It's almost like Nintendo hadn't missed a step since the SNES, and I couldn't be happier. Also, 4 player platforming? It's not as insane as you'd think!

13. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 3D platformers perfected. Classic 2D simplistic design mixed with expansive 3D insanity leads this to probably be the single best a platformer will ever be in 3D. But that's good because it's awesome.

14. Cave Story - Part Metroidvania, part action platformer, and all done by one man. There's so much Cave Story does right and so little it does wrong, that there's very little else I can add that hasn't been said before. Well, it's free on PC, and you can buy it on WiiWare or your portable Nintendo system, so go do that. Then you'll know the greatness.

15. Sonic Colors - Pure fun, no filler. Few platformers are just a joy to play through as this one is. Mixing the high speed thrills of 3D Sonic with the platforming of 2D Sonic and creative wisp powers that expand on Sonic's moveset and you have a just plain fun romp. It's not perfect, but it sure is exhilarating to play, and isn't that what really matters?

16. Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus - A stealth platformer. I didn't think this could work until I played it. My only issues were the pointless hubworlds (these were done better in 2, even if they ditched the level concept) and some frustrating boss battles, but this is one slick 3D platformer.

17. Super Mario World - Well, you know.

18. Duck Tales - One of the best licensed games ever. Varied environments that encourage exploration for treasures and secrets and a unique way of beating enemies, there is no other platformer like this.

19. Banjo-Kazooie - Probably the best "collectathon" platformer I've ever played because all the tasks require platforming and scaling the environment, and the skills are all rather creative to execute. Also, every level (except Clanker's Cavern, which is awful) is masterfully designed and tons of fun to hop through.

20. Jak & Daxter - The only other "collectathon" I've really enjoyed, only this one makes use of a seamless world full of platforming challenges, and tight controls. I don't like how the sequels went all shooteriffic, but this one has a good balance of fun and frustration.

So that's my top 20. Any questions?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Oh man, that list... *drools*

Some of my favorites, some I've neglected for so long. Platformers are my overall favorite, and the type of games that I always go back to.

Where do you think DKC Returns would make it out of the top 20, though? I've been dying to replay that myself.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

I can never put my finger on what makes a platformer great. If someone asked me what would the perfect Mega Man game be like, I'd give them a look that'd make them think I've just been lobotimized. I guess it's the right unique combination of many different things that makes the great platformers great.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

It's a weird game for me. It's really good when it's centered on platforming, and the controls are great for the most part, but it has some quirks that kind of annoy me.

1. Shaking to roll is annoying and a bit finicky. Someone made a hack that maps it to a button and I'd like to use it, because it's kind of annoying as is.

2. Lack of DK barrels. The game has a lot of one hit kills from pit deaths, so not having a power up (as that's what Diddy is in this game) that makes jumping smoother available is quite annoying and unlike the old games if you die in a pit with both Kongs you lose them both for some reason. Also, unlike the old games not every checkpoint has a DK barrel which is just a weird oversight to me.

3. Weird collision. Like you bounce oddly off of walls and the like if you don't time your jumps well. It leads to a lot of deaths for people who aren't good at platformers.

4. I hate the rocket barrel levels.

5. The music is weak. Get David Wise or don't make a DKC game, Nintendo.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great platformer, but the quirks in the game are really, really weird and are really what hold it back from being as good as 2.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM
16. Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
The first two worlds are amazing (worthy of a 10/10, no exaggeration), but (IMO) it really goes to shit in the second half and the last world especially is absolutely fucking terrible. The stealth and platforming are excellent, so of course it makes sense that the latter portion of the game is 80% mini-games. The final world literally only has two platforming sections, one of which is 30 seconds long and the other of which is glitchy and jank as hell. The gun turret sections and races are far too numerous and 100% garbage, the endboss is exceedingly lame, and the 5+ minute long QTE boss fight is downright heinous.

I don't typically enjoy collect-a-thons, but the two Banjo games are some of my favorites (that Nuts and Bolts atrocity doesn't fucking count), and while I enjoyed Jak 2 and 3 more than the original, the first one was still great. I know it's heresy that my favorite platformer of all time is 3D, but I still love Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando more than damn near any other game. I've played it at least 15 times. <3

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on June 21, 2011, 12:46:42 AM
Quote from: Desensitized on June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM
16. Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
The first two worlds are amazing (worthy of a 10/10, no exaggeration), but (IMO) it really goes to shit in the second half and the last world especially is absolutely fucking terrible. The stealth and platforming are excellent, so of course it makes sense that the latter portion of the game is 80% mini-games. The final world literally only has two platforming sections, one of which is 30 seconds long and the other of which is glitchy and jank as hell. The gun turret sections and races are far too numerous and 100% garbage, the endboss is exceedingly lame, and the 5+ minute long QTE boss fight is downright heinous.
I haven't played the game in like about two years (I plan on a replay when the collection is cheap), I don't recall having a hard time with the game outside of two particularly noteworthy boss battles, and I remember enjoying most of the worlds a lot. I enjoyed hopping through the city, rooftops, snow peaks, and the like. Sure the swamp was a bit dull, but nothing too tedious.

But you're right about the QTE boss at the end. Like I said, the one thing the game really sucks at is anything that isn't pure platforming. It's just when it does focus on it, it's REALLY fucking good. Which is why it's a shame that the third game focuses on ALL of the crap no one liked from the first two games.

I really hope the fourth game is focused on being a platformer first and foremost.

Also, I have yet to play another R&C game since the first which I didn't really like. I was hoping for another collection, but I don't know if that'll happen any time soon.

Foggle

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hate on Sly Cooper. The platforming levels are some of the finest gameplay money can buy. But the second half really does overdo it with the mini-games. :(

I haven't played Sly 3, but I love the platforming/stealth from Sly 1 and pretty much all of Sly 2. What's so bad about the third one?

R&C 1 is very different from the sequels, which are much funnier and also a lot faster-paced. The PS3 games and Deadlocked are a bit underwhelming (not bad, mind), but Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal on the PS2 are nearly perfect in my book. :) Skip the PSP titles and Quest For Booty, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on June 21, 2011, 01:07:40 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hate on Sly Cooper. The platforming levels are some of the finest gameplay money can buy. But the second half really does overdo it with the mini-games. :(

I haven't played Sly 3, but I love the platforming/stealth from Sly 1 and pretty much all of Sly 2. What's so bad about the third one?
The third game is a mini game fest. If you didn't like the mini-games and other characters from the first two, you're not going to like them here since that's pretty much the whole game.

I'll probably retry the Ratchet games one day, but the first just bored me to tears.

But it is a shame at the total lack of 3D platformers this gen outside of a small handful. Last gen had them finally coming into their own with material like Maximo, and now everybody just makes shooters.

Foggle

Sucks about Sly 3. Oh well. :frown:
Quote from: Desensitized on June 21, 2011, 01:17:55 AM
I'll probably retry the Ratchet games one day, but the first just bored me to tears.
The sequels are far more exciting. The only thing R&C 1 has over the other games is the awesome soundtrack. I still love it, but that might be from nostalgia more than anything. But it is - objectively - better than the PSP games and QFB. If you thought that one was boring, you ain't seen nothin'.

QuoteBut it is a shame at the total lack of 3D platformers this gen outside of a small handful. Last gen had them finally coming into their own with material like Maximo, and now everybody just makes shooters.
Alice: Madness Returns has some pretty good platforming. Beautiful graphics and an excellent story, too. The combat gets in the way sometimes, though. Might want to try renting it. :joy:

Spark Of Spirit

Sounds cool to me. I'll probably look into it, as I like myself some fun platforming.

I do have Up Your Arsenal around here somewhere from when I found it for like $4. Maybe I'll give it a go in the near future. I've been eager to play a 3D platformer I haven't gone through yet.

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on June 21, 2011, 01:28:37 AM
I do have Up Your Arsenal around here somewhere from when I found it for like $4. Maybe I'll give it a go in the near future. I've been eager to play a 3D platformer I haven't gone through yet.
It can get a bit too shooting-heavy at times, but I really do think it's one of the most fun games of all time. Going Commando is even better and doesn't have as much combat.

Avaitor

Quote from: Desensitized on June 21, 2011, 12:45:50 AM
It's a weird game for me. It's really good when it's centered on platforming, and the controls are great for the most part, but it has some quirks that kind of annoy me.

1. Shaking to roll is annoying and a bit finicky. Someone made a hack that maps it to a button and I'd like to use it, because it's kind of annoying as is.

2. Lack of DK barrels. The game has a lot of one hit kills from pit deaths, so not having a power up (as that's what Diddy is in this game) that makes jumping smoother available is quite annoying and unlike the old games if you die in a pit with both Kongs you lose them both for some reason. Also, unlike the old games not every checkpoint has a DK barrel which is just a weird oversight to me.

3. Weird collision. Like you bounce oddly off of walls and the like if you don't time your jumps well. It leads to a lot of deaths for people who aren't good at platformers.

4. I hate the fucking rocket barrel levels.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great platformer, but the quirks in the game are really, really weird and are really what hold it back from being as good as 2.
Actually, I agree with all of these points. Especially 4. The game is needlessly hard in certain aspects where it doesn't need to be. I'd blame it on weird game making choices as opposed to poor ones.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on June 21, 2011, 11:56:24 AM
Quote from: Desensitized on June 21, 2011, 12:45:50 AM

4. I hate the fucking rocket barrel levels.

Actually, I agree with all of these points. Especially 4. The game is needlessly hard in certain aspects where it doesn't need to be. I'd blame it on weird game making choices as opposed to poor ones.
It's pretty much why I hope they get to make a sequel, take out the rocket barrels and put back water levels, smooth out the controls, have consistent design with checkpoints and power ups, and get David Wise back. It's really close to being awesome and a bit more polish and it very well can be.

Lord Dalek

It always annoys me that some people think Super Mario World is a better game than SMB. 3. ITS THE SAME EXACT GAME! Only with 16-bit graphics, Yoshi, and a small degree of non-linear game play.

Super Mario Bros. 3 been there done that.

gunswordfist

Me and Mario 3 didn't get along the last time we met. It was my favorite Mario game but not after the last time I played it
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody