Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I think if I had to choose 5 more to make a top 25, it would probably include Donkey Kong '94, Mega Man 9, Maximo, Sonic CD, and Shinobi 3.

The genre really has it all.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I love platfromers, though I do prefer when a game can combine elements of the platformer genre with that of the action genre, like Mega Max X or the NES Ninja Gaiden games and such. To me, that hybrid genre is truly the best game genre ever.

Anyways, my favorite platformer by far is Yoshi's Island. I'll get into details of why I love it so much later on, but to me its better than any other Mario game, even Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World.

Spark Of Spirit

The Ninja Gaiden games are great action platformers too, but seriously fuck those birds.

The only two genres of platformers I'm not too big on are frustration platformers and puzzle platformers, because I like being able to complete levels at my own pace and on my own terms and not have to follow a strict guideline to finish a level. IMO, that not only kills replay value, but they almost feel like movie shooters in a way in how little you can do outside of what they allow you to.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I still say that Shinobi 1 remade with 3's graphics and moves would blow 3 away. I wouldn't mind seeing that rock falling level in 3D if done right.

Still need to play MM 9 and 10.

Love the hell out of Yoshi's Island. I believe I only played it once and loved the hell out of it. Such a great game and from what I played, it had some of the best bosses ever. Yoshi needs to play like that in a regular Mario game.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on June 21, 2011, 04:22:56 PM
The only two genres of platformers I'm not too big on are frustration platformers and puzzle platformers
Frustration platformers? Wut?

Spark Of Spirit

Also, Platformers have by far the best music in gaming. Seriously no matter what the game is, it's a universal truth or the game just doesn't work.  ;)

Quote from: Foggle on June 21, 2011, 05:18:53 PM
The only two genres of platformers I'm not too big on are frustration platformers and puzzle platformers
You know like those Kaizo Mario hacks, or Super Meat Boy. Stuff that you have to do pinpoint precision the way the game wants you to in order to beat them. Not really my bag.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Foggle on June 21, 2011, 05:18:53 PM
Google "I Wanna Be The Guy".

But DON'T DOWNLOAD IT!!!

Spark Of Spirit

So with news that Ms. 'Splosion Man will be 800 points I thought I would talk about the original game a bit. The original 'Splosion Man is unquestionably Twisted Pixel's best game. But it has it's own issues which were apparently addressed in this game, but I think bear repeating here for comparison.

1. The difficulty is far too reliant on guessing. There were points in the original game where all you did was run forward and guess when to jump because you were being pushed along a 'rail' (IE the overused 'deathwater') leading to many frustrating and unfun deaths as you had to guess what to do as the game wouldn't let you do anything but run along that stupid rail to completion. There is no replay value in such levels. Bo-op eventually deteriorated into the same thing, but having to have pinpoint precision with your friend (God help you if you're online!) or again, face instant death. Your character dies in one hit anyway, why do you need instant death obstacles to push him along?

2. It was too long and the bosses weren't very good. There was not enough variety for 50 levels of co-op and single player. Too many insta death "rail levels" and not enough levels with gimmicks used creatively to access new areas or defeat enemies. You have a triple jump and a wall jump. You have endless opportunities for clever level design. Use them. Oh yeah, and make the bosses have clearer patterns. With one hit kill games, they HAVE to have clear patterns.

3. Netcode was shit. Fix your shit!

If they improve those three aspects, then I'm sure to tremendously enjoy this game. The first game was good, but it easily could have been GREAT. Here's hoping that they understand that.

talonmalon333

THE BEST 3D PLATFORMER

THE BEST 2D PLATFORMER

That will be all.

Spark Of Spirit

I won't argue with either, they're both top tier.

Eddy

I know some argue that the DKC series was kind of overrated, but I stand by the belief that Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest is one of the finest platformers in the SNES library.

gunswordfist

That just reminded me that I am behind on 3D platformers. Prince Of Persia Sands Of Time is my favorite so far. I have never beaten a N64 platformer. My Nintendo track record sucks and Super Smash Bros is probably the only game I've beaten on the console. I believe the only other 3D platformers I've beaten are Spyro and Crash 1 and 3
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Eddy

If you still have an N64 (or have a 360) I suggest checking out Banjo-Kazooie. I really think it's one of the best 3D platformers ever made.

I kind of hate Banjo-Tooie, though.

Foggle

I've always liked Banjo-Tooie way more than the first one.

Spark Of Spirit

I tried to like Banjo Tooie, I really did. The first game clicked with me eventually, but Tooie never did.

The lack of platforming for minigames probably contributed to it, but I just find it dull.