Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

I really tried to love Banjo-Tooie. I've attempted to play through it on at least three separate occasions and I'd make it quite far into the game as well. But I just could never get into it. I could go into detail as to why I don't like it but I'll just say that it made the item collecting feel like a chore, the minigames bored me, and the levels felt like they were huge for the sake of making them huge with no real reason behind it. Oh, and fuck Grunty Industries.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

So with the success of New Super Mario Bros Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns (and to an extent, Sonic Colors), why isn't the Wii a goldmine for them?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on July 05, 2011, 09:39:59 PM
So with the success of New Super Mario Bros Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns (and to an extent, Sonic Colors), why isn't the Wii a goldmine for them?
Well, Klonoa, A Boy & His Blob, and Wario Land still bombed (Though I hear sales improved tremendously for them after NSMBWii came out... Weird, huh?) so most would argue that it's brand recognition that causes their success. I think recent titles in the genre like the upcoming Rayman Origins and De Blob 2 are multiplatform, so most would choose the version on the most capable system and split the sales, I'd imagine. But these games still sell best on the Wii. The platformer audience, however limited it is, seems to follow where the best platformers are, and that tends to be Nintendo systems.

By the way, Sonic Colors cracked a million faster than any Sonic game since the Adventure games and did it in less than half a year. And that's Wii exclusive, so the audience is there. They either aren't being marketed to properly, or there aren't enough games in the genre yet for people to take notice.

I still cringe when I see a copy of Klonoa in the bargain bin with all the shovelware. It's a fucking masterpiece, it doesn't deserve that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

I had thought about getting Klonoa but I had heard it was absurdly short. Like, beat it in a couple of hours short.

Rynnec

Quote from: Eddy on July 05, 2011, 10:21:20 PM
I had thought about getting Klonoa but I had heard it was absurdly short. Like, beat it in a couple of hours short.

Yeah, it was rather short, but I thought it was worth it.

(Reminds me that I need to playthrough that game again someday. And get the sequel for the PS2 as well. Argh!)

Spark Of Spirit

Klonoa 2 is almost as good, but the first tops it. I think 2 is a bit too easy and short compared to 1. They're both insanely cheap, though. So get 'em! Especially if you love the genre.

Quote from: Eddy on July 05, 2011, 10:21:20 PM
There's a mirror mode after you beat it, and some good hidden stuff in the levels. For the $10 to $20-ish dollars it goes for now (It came out for $29, IIRC), it's a steal.

It's a pretty average length to most 2D platformers, only a few hours. But for one of the first 2.5D platformers the level design is masterful and the mechanics fully fleshed out. The story is cute, and the ending is surprisingly effective. IMO, it's one of the tops of the genre.

It's the PS1 version that is massively overpriced. The Wii version, which is superior, and its bargain bin price is an absolute steal.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Eddy on July 05, 2011, 08:56:50 PM
If you still have an N64 (or have a 360) I suggest checking out Banjo-Kazooie. I really think it's one of the best 3D platformers ever made.

I kind of hate Banjo-Tooie, though.
I definitely did not have a N64. That's what I was implying. My brother had a friend who let him borrow his 64 for a few months. He only had said Smash Bros game (which my brother of course beat me senseless in)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Can't wait for Rayman Origins. Probably anticipating that more than Sonic Generations
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I'm playing the Sly Collection on the PS3 right now. I beat the first two worlds of Sly 1 so let me relay this to you:

Sly 1 is still an awesome game. The platforming, stealth, and level design is as good as ever, and the new moves you can unlock (a 3D platformer where collecting something gives you a reward? Unseemly!) make movement even smoother. The refreshing the collection gives the games make them look even sharper than they did before and it really gives the great art direction a lot of pop. So far I've played through 14 stages, and 11 of them are fantastically made platforming levels. The problem is (with the series as a whole, too) that the other 3 weren't platforming levels at all. A stupid twin stick shooter level that lasts way too long, a racing game that's as boring as it is dumb, and a level where you have to cover an NPC as he runs to the goal... Really don't have any place in the game. They aren't very fun and they sure as heck aren't as good as the platforming levels by any stretch.

The bosses (SO FAR) are decent, but nothing special. At least they're based around dodging and attacking like most good platforming bosses are, they just don't really have memorable patterns or anything. I know there's a particularly nasty (and annoying) boss coming up, but again, when Sly 1 sticks to platforming, it really is fantastic.

Kiddington

Would you say that the graphical upgrades and/or other improvements for the Sly Collection make it worth a purchase? I already own all three of the original copies on the PS2, but I'd be willing to buy the re-makes, if they truly add that much more to the gameplay (once I do eventually get a PS3, that is. Soon... soon).

...and yeah, I love this franchise as well. So glad we're finally getting a 4th installment next year... which, of course, will be yet another reason for me to get around to finally buying said PS3.

Spark Of Spirit

Unless you really like the games or want trophies, then not really. I didn't actually own 3 and really loved the first two games so it was a no-brainer for me. There are Move mini-games, but I bet they suck so I don't think that's a selling point. Still, these are probably the best versions of the games, and for some reason I found the originals really blurry (even on an SDTV) so the sharpness really helps me. I don't really recall any framerate problems in the originals, but this seems locked at 60fps to me. If there are any glitches, I also haven't noticed any outside of dumb NPC AI (which is of course not something that would be fixed), so if there were any, I'd guess they were fixed.

Anyway, I beat the swamp world. Yeah, it's easily the weakest part of the game. Out of the seven levels, only 4 of them are platforming levels this time and the other three involve lighting torches (pretty easy), A dual stick shooter (also fairly simple), and a chicken killing minigame (Fuck this game and all its ancestors) with the boss being the worst one by far. QTE boss fights are not fun game developers, don't ever do them again, please.

On the plus side, the rest of the game aside from the final boss is pretty good from what I remember so I should be in for a pretty smooth ride.

Spark Of Spirit

Who loves IGN?

Mario just can't compete with deep works of art like Limbo or Braid!

Rynnec

QuoteDon't get me wrong, I love Mario, Donkey Kong and Kirby as much as the next guy, but it can't be denied that these games are selling gameplay that hasn't necessarily evolved since the NES and SNES eras, at five times the price of new and original games being released on PSN, Steam and XBLA. These titles don't have the added bonuses of HD graphics, online play, leaderboards, true 5.1 sound and the potential for DLC expansions.

None of those features (aside from DLC) would really add anything to those franchise's.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, in other words IGN is still full of journalists who know nothing about gaming but like to pretend that they do? Really, as outrageous as this article should sound, is anyone really surprised by this point that IGN would churn this out of its ass? To be honest, I can't find myself offended by this article because I can't even take IGN the least bit seriously anymore. They have basically become one big joke among most gamers with any shred of common sense, these days.

Spark Of Spirit

My favorite part was this:

QuoteTurning back to PC, PS3 and 360, let's take a look back at all the brilliant games and developers that have helped to bring 2D storming back.

One company that really led the charge of the genre migrating from retail stores to the downloadable marketplace is The Behemoth. Exclusively focused on creating brilliant 2D side-scrolling throwbacks, the developer has released some of the best 2D platformers of recent years.
The Behemoth hasn't made a single platformer.