Animation Revelation's Top 65 Cartoons Talkback Thread

Started by Avaitor, June 27, 2011, 10:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

I made it 5 minutes into that video, then I made a fatal mistake and skipped to the "poetry" part. I don't know how I survived.

I'm very traumatized.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 19, 2012, 06:51:58 PM
For a second, I actually thought we had an Applejack smiley.

Me too. I was actually kind of dissapointed that that wasn't the case.

Kiddington

Foggle

Dr. Insomniac

Kiddington

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 28, 2012, 12:39:41 PM
I never grew up with Ducktales, and I've only ever seen a few episodes of the show. Perhaps I should watch a good chunk of it and be the unbiased judge of whether its a good show that has stood the test of time or is a product of nostalgia. What I've seen of it was surprisingly good, but not exactly top 20 material, either, but I'd need to see a lot more of it, myself.
What an oddly worded statement. You make it sound like you had more than one chance to grow up. :>
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 21, 2012, 09:03:08 PM
I never grew up with Ducktales, and I've only ever seen a few episodes of the show. Perhaps I should watch a good chunk of it and be the unbiased judge of whether its a good show that has stood the test of time or is a product of nostalgia. What I've seen of it was surprisingly good, but not exactly top 20 material, either, but I'd need to see a lot more of it, myself.
What an oddly worded statement. You make it sound like you had more than one chance to grow up. :>

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 21, 2012, 09:03:54 PM

:anger:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd give you credit for putting forth some effort, but your joke doesn't even remotely make any sense, on top of making you look as lame as ever.

Typical, GSF. :>

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Eddy on August 19, 2012, 07:20:54 PM
I'm totally going to make a My Life Me thread.

Please don't. We have enough cancerous canadian cartoon discussion with Johnny Test.

Avaitor

TV Guide recently tried their own list for the 60 greatest cartoons of all time, and this is what they came up with:

1. The Simpsons- Well, the first 8-10 seasons are full of enough greatness to justify its ranking at #1, but I still think that it's far from consistent enough to be THE greatest.
2. The Flintstones- Okay, I'm the biggest defender of the show on this site and genuniely enjoy a lot of episodes, but #2? Hell no.
3. Looney Tunes- I know, there are racist moments and a lot of weak shorts, but I still wouldn't put this below The Simpsons or The Flintstones. When the originals got it right, they're still among the funniest things ever made.
4. The Peanuts specials- Eh, give or take.
5. Scooby-Doo- Fuck. And. No.
6. Rocky and Bullwinkle- I'm okay with this where it is, but that's just me.
7. Batman: The Animated Series- Y'no, the show is already starting to show its age now, although moreso in the animation and pacing departments than  when it comes to writing, atmosphere, or voice acting. However, I still think that B:TAS will remain as the golden example of action-oriented animation in another 20 years, at least.
8. Spongebob Squarepants- I know, the show has had some good episodes and a big impact on pop culture. But honestly, even if you ignore the post-movie episodes, it just isn't THAT good.
9. Family Guy- Fuck no.
10. South Park- Compared to some of the shows on here, it should be higher, for sure, even if it's not a personal favorite. But still.

They only rank the "Top 10", and here are the other 50 they considered.

Adventure Time
Animaniacs
Archer
Batman Beyond
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Battle of the Planets
Beavis and Butt-Head
Bob's Burgers
Daria
Dexter's Laboratory
Dora the Explorer
Drawn Together
The Fairly OddParents
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
Futurama
George of the Jungle
Gravity Falls
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
The Huckleberry Hound Show
Iron Man: Armored Adventures
Jem and the Holograms
The Jetsons
Jonny Quest
Josie and the Pussycats
Justice League/Justice League Unlimited
Kim Possible
King of the Hill
The Magilla Gorilla Show
Mighty Mouse
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
Phineas and Ferb
The Pink Panther Show
Pinky and the Brain
Popeye the Sailor
The Powerpuff Girls
Ren & Stimpy
Rugrats
Samurai Jack
The Smurfs
The Spectacular Spider-Man
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Super Friends
Superman: The Animated Series
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Tom and Jerry
ThunderCats
Underdog
Woody Woodpecker
The Yogi Bear Show

There's some deserving series on here (KOTH, SSM, the other DCAU shows, Archer), some way-not deserving series (Drawn Together, Iron Man: Armored Adventures, Magilla Gorilla, pretty much every 80's toon), and some series which are terribly missing (EEnE, Gargoyles, DuckTales, at least a dozen anime). This list really seems to go for recognizability and the first shows they could come up with, and it shows. Say what you will about our list, but we got it better.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

The Shadow Gentleman

Most lists of Top X Whatever seem to go for "most famous" rather then "best in quality", don't they?

Yeah, the Top 65 list has it's flaws, but I can safely say I agree that most of the series on it deserve a spot somewhere.

Lord Dalek

Our Top 65 list is garbage purely because I had nothing to do with it and disagree with 50% of it.

It must burn.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Lord Dalek on September 28, 2013, 08:46:06 PM
Our Top 65 list is garbage purely because I had nothing to do with it and disagree with 50% of it.

It must burn.

Only 50%? You're right, we did something wrong. It's only a good list if you disagree with the whole thing. :>