Animation Revelation's Top 65 Cartoons Talkback Thread

Started by Avaitor, June 27, 2011, 10:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on June 30, 2011, 05:20:15 PM
I enjoyed it a lot, but I do admit it isn't perfect. Fast Forward for instance dragged the ranking on this way down for screwing with the main show and never letting it recover. But all the stuff up to it is pretty fun stuff.

And Turtles Forever is the best TMNT thing ever.
Those are too separate shows.

I want to see the unedited version of Turtles Forever. And The Simpsons Movie. And the Batman Beyond Movie
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I was talking about GSF, not Foggle.

I would consider it the same show, as it was the same staff, time slot, and merchandising, and basic characters. It just wasn't very good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on June 30, 2011, 06:25:53 PM
You, I can tell when you're joking or not. Gunsword gets me sometimes though.
*high five*

And yeah I can tell that Fog was joking

gunswordfist

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 29, 2011, 04:40:28 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on June 29, 2011, 01:48:00 PM
I'm pleased we seem to be getting positive reception so far to the list.

Also, I agree about Evolution. The first season is not all that special, but it eventually snowballs into a great superhero show. If it had been as good as it was by the end for its entire run, I think it would have been a lot higher up.
Dammit, I said yeah the beginning of the show sucks and could have been ranked among my favorites without the high school bs start. If the show was as good as the later episodes throughout, I would have liked it about as much as Justice League Unlimited but in reality, I just like it slightly more than Teen Titans and less than Static Shock

gunswordfist

TRIPLE POST! I've been thinking, I forgot about Avatar which I like more than Titan and I just might like it more than Justice League.

Also here's a list of cartoons that I hope make the list and what probability I think they have of making it:

Guaranteed:
Batman
The Simpsons
King Of The Hill
Futurama
Ed, Edd 'n Eddy
Dexter's Laboratory
Monster
Gargoyles
Cowboy Bebop
Yu yu Hakusho

Likely:
Samurai Jack
Lupin The Third
Rurouni Kenshin
Batman Beyond
Tales Spin
Duck Tales
Darkwing Duck
Trigun

No chance:
X-Men
Star Wars Clones Wars 2003
Sym-Bionic Titan
Samurai Champloo
Fist of the Northstar
Legion Of Superheroes

And heh I found the first post where ensatsuken found out that I was a Yu yu Hakusho fan. Good times. I found that because I have to google to find lists of my favorite anime because I never remember them all  :D

Foggle

None of those made the list. The rest is all 80's nostalgia stuff. GI Joe is number 1.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

That GTO section was the best thing EK has ever written. I couldn't tell he wrote it because everything else he has written might as well have his damn name stamped all over it. :sly: Seriously, good stuff. I'll check out the show.

I never understood Freakazoid. It was just a WTH cartoon when I was a kid.

Johnny Bravo did get neglected by me when I was a kid. Ed, Dexter and PPG had my attention at the time. I wish y'all went into when the show supposedly went downhill and talked about the supporting cast

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 01, 2011, 07:00:39 PM
Johnny Bravo did get neglected by me when I was a kid. Ed, Dexter and PPG had my attention at the time. I wish y'all went into when the show supposedly went downhill and talked about the supporting cast
Hmm, that's a very debatable question, but there were three different eras from the show.

The first season was pretty similar to Dexter and Powerpuff during the peaks of their runs. Pop culture savvy, particularly on the vintage side, clever dialogue, and sharp designs. A couple of differences it had from the other series was the occasional addition of talking animal side characters of varying intellect, as well as prominent guest stars all over the spectrum, from Adam West to the cast of Scooby-Doo.

Even though it was quite similar to some of their other popular shows, JB wasn't a big hit when it premiered, and creator Van Partible either left or was fired from the show (I forget which). The next part of the show retooled the show a little, messing with the designs, focusing more on situational humor than pop culture (although there's still some stuff to that effect, like a Some Like It Hot spoof and a memorable guest appearance with Luke Perry), and adding new characters Carl and Pops. I think this ran for two seasons, but 39 eps were made from this era altogether.

Even though the show became more popular after these changes, it supposed to end with 52 eps. I guess good ratings from the Christmas and Valentines Day specials made after the last few episodes encouraged CN to renew it. This time, they brought back Partible and he took Craig Bartlett, the creator of Hey Arnold, in as story editor.

The last season was kind of a return to the first season, cutting Carl and Pops down to passing references as opposed to supporting characters, but instead of 3 7-minute cartoons like the earlier episodes, had either 2 11-minute segments or one half-hour episode. It kept the designs from the previous era and brought in a lot of guest stars, including Alec Baldwin and Don Knotts, among others.

I honestly liked the whole of the show, but I did rewatch the first episode from the last season on Boomerang a while ago when I went to Atlanta. The one where Johnny went to Hollywood thinking he had a potential career in acting. It was a lot cornier than I remembered, and the guest spots were pointless. But still, if you like the other Cartoon Cartoons, I'd suggest checking out some of JB again.

As for supporting characters, you had Bunny Bravo, Johnny's loving Mama. She's a bit flaky sometimes, but she has a heart of gold and a lot more patience for Johnny than any other sane person would. Then there's little Suzy, Johnny's best friend and neighbor. Another person with a lot more patience for Johnny than most people should have, but I think she likes messing around with him and appreciates their friendship, since he thinks like a kid. Johnny thinks she's a nuisance, though.

Carl is a nerd that frequently messes with science projects and other stuff like that. He thinks Johnny is his best friend, but he can't stand him most of the time. They have solid chemistry with each other however, which is why Carl keeps on coming back. And Pops is the owner of the diner that Johnny and Carl go to a lot. He's occasionally their friend, but mostly a greedy old guy that likes to abuse people for money. Considering all the stuff that Johnny gets into, Pops has a field day with using the oaf for his gain.

And yeah, GSF, I think you'd love GTO if you checked it out. It shares the type of humor that you should appreciate.

New blog!

Kiddington

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 01, 2011, 07:00:39 PM
I never understood Freakazoid. It was just a WTH cartoon when I was a kid.
I'd suggest watching it now. It's a show that you can definitely appreciate more when you're older.

The complete run is on DVD, if you're interested. Both seasons go for about $10-20 on Amazon, or if you're lucky, you can find 'em brick and mortar in Best Buy.

...as for the list, great stuff guys. Never seen GTO, but the other four are some of my favorite animated series of all-time. Glad to see them all crack the Top 50.

Spark Of Spirit

GTO is a genuinely funny show with some touching moments. I think it does that whole "teacher deals with trouble students and teaches them how to live" cliche WAY better than anything else because it doesn't get overly dramatic (yet can be serious) and isn't afraid to put in some really funny gags where it deems necessary.

Only problem is the availability on DVD is so poor, it's almost impossible to watch legally.