Animation Revelation's Top 65 Cartoons Talkback Thread

Started by Avaitor, June 27, 2011, 10:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

We all have our preferences and our random biases which account for how we ranked each show on here. Some were tweaked around with at the very last minute, but trust me, we all put a lot of thought into this list, and every series is here for a reason.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

How long has this been in the making again, Avaitor? We've been doing this for a long ass time, I'm sure.

We didn't really take any position lightly and had every show that made the list have a dedicated reason for ranking with the best of the best, so this is probably the best list of this type you'll see out there for sure. It's definitely the first one that tries to disregard nostalgia (though not completely) for pure quality.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Top 30 will blow your fuckin' mind.

EDIT: 40, actually.
EDIT 2: Never mind, the whole thing is great.

Avaitor

Quote from: Desensitized on June 28, 2011, 09:39:54 PM
How long has this been in the making again, Avaitor? We've been doing this for a long ass time, I'm sure.
At least a year. Other problems on the board and in real life have caused us to hold off on working on this list for a while, but I've still been tinkering throughout, and we went into heavy duty time during the past few months.

Trust me guys, there's something for everyone on here. Surprises, shocks, the whole shebang. I couldn't be more proud of how it turned out.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

Oh, hey, I have no problems with the rankings, and my apologies if I made it sound as if I did. I don't really like ADJL, and wouldn't put it on my top 65... but this isn't my list. That's your prerogative, and as I said, I fully understand differing opinions (IE, different strokes for different folks, or something to that effect).

...and really, that was the only choice I even disagreed with anyway. Everything else on this list is either a show that I like, or something that I've never seen before. So... no problems, k?  :thumbup:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on June 28, 2011, 09:47:50 PM
Oh, hey, I have no problems with the rankings, and my apologies if I made it sound as if I did. I don't really like ADJL, and wouldn't put it on my top 65... but this isn't my list. That's your prerogative, and as I said, I fully understand differing opinions (IE, different strokes for different folks, or something to that effect).

...and really, that was the only choice I even disagreed with anyway. Everything else on this list is either a show that I like, or something that I've never seen before. So... no problems, k?  :thumbup:
No problem, we just wanted this to come across as kind of as a group culmination. Like, Foggle might not put WITCH on his list, and I might not put Avengers (as an example, I haven't seen enough on my own) on mine, but as a whole we had to kind of concede our individual tastes for a more objective look.

Some of us wanted things much higher, others wanted things much lower, but all in all, this list is pure Animation Revelation. Putting aside the bullshit to get to the nitty gritty.

For the record, I think you'll agree with A LOT of this list. It's the best one for animation that's ever been made.  :shakeshakeshake:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

It's cool, man. There's got to be some disagreement in the rankings on every part, otherwise this list would turn out a little boring. I thought a couple of series were ranked too low while some were too high myself. I can also think of one particular series in the top 30 that Desen thought was ranked a little too high. And there are two series right next to each other higher on here that caused some controversy on where each would make it, and I think there's still some disagreement in the final result.

I knew that ADJL would be a controversial choice, and I don't blame you for thinking so. But again, I recommended it as a series that had potential to be great and had a few moments achieving that, but not enough to make it to the all-time top. I wouldn't put it in the top 50 at all, despite my attachment to it, but think it has a fair ranking on here.

New blog!

Foggle

There are some choices on this list that no one would make but us. And they deserved to be made. I am particularly happy with three particular ones. :joy:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If FMP: TSR isn't one of those choices, then I'm going to shoot you in the face. :thinkin:

I can say for certain that Hunter X Hunter is certainly not a series that you would typically see on any top list. For one thing, its an anime making it a much less popular choice for an animation list. Secondly, its a more obscure anime compared to the few that do manage to make it onto lists such as these, but I feel its justified in its spot because in all of my experience with animation of any kind, I find a quality series to be a quality series, and HXH is full of quality. And to back up my claims, while it doesn't have a strong following, both its own small fan-base and those with a more critical eye to these types of series have praised it for how well-crafted the characters and overall series is. I doubt 90% of the people who read our list would have ever even heard of it, but as far as I'm concerned its justified on the list in terms of quality level alone, and this is just one example I have chosen to use of this type of show being on our list. The same will hold even more true from a few future entries on our list.

Dr. Insomniac

I wonder if the reason our reception isn't as big as GCR's is because of how off some of their choices were. To the point where I can't help but ponder if putting PPG on dead last while placing Super Mario Bros Super Show and Captain N on the list at all were gambits to stir up enough of a response as possible.

Spark Of Spirit

Actually, the site hasn't been very active in general since this switchover. Our thread in the general section seems to be the only one getting any activity at all.

I would like to see Sketch, HG, and a few others to stir up some talk there, though.

Avaitor

New blog!

Foggle

gunswordfist

Glad Megas made the list. I still need to watch Real Ghostbusters. Not really a fan of X-Men Evolution but after the high school bs it got pretty good. I wish a show could actually get high school superheroes right. I ignored PA when it used to come on and I wasn't a fan of Angry Beavers because it made no sense when I was a kid. I'll check it out since from what I remember it's similar to Regular Show - that is if Nick even has it on DVD.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

All of Angry Beavers is on Netflix, and if you don't have that, the first two seasons will be out on DVD in August. So you should totally have a chance to check it out again soon.

New blog!