Superman: The Animated Series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 30, 2011, 09:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Isn't it weird that we still haven't gotten a Superman series since this one?

Anyway, discuss this oft-forgotten DCAU show here.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I still maintain that the first few episodes were a little boring, and the show didn't really start to shine until they focused less on being a villain-of-the-week show and more on developing the good guys and the mythology.

Volume 3 has got to be one of the most consistent DCAU sets.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

When I was a kid, Superman was probably my favorite superhero cartoon and favorite cartoon period. I liked the show so much because of one thing - Superman's powers. It's as shallow as it can sound. There used to be this show called something like the Adventures Of Superman and Batman. Every time it used to come on I used to go, "Please don't be dark. Please don't be dark." because back then I didn't care for Batman simply because he had no superpowers. When Batman did come on that show, I either half watched it or not at all. Luckily, a few years ago I caught Batman on Boomerang and went, "How did I ever pass up something this great?!" Funny enough, I have gotten ever DC cartoon I wanted on DVD these days except for Superman. I've made no attempt to get that series from my library. Not that I suddenly hate it, I definitely don't, I just prefer to get series I didn't follow religiously. So I am going to get Superman anyway so I can give the show a proper analysis as an adult, like I did Batman. Hopefully the virtual reality ninja episode won't still be my favorite but I can't make any promises.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

So how well does this show hold up today?

Avaitor

Quite good.

The third volume, especially.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Probably the best incarnation of Superman on-screen. And if it weren't for All-Star, the best incarnation of all mediums in the last 20 years.

gunswordfist

After reading New Gods, I want to watch the show for comparison/to be able to appreciate Jack Kirby's great contribution to Supes universe.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've watched a few random episodes every now and then. Its a good show, though admittedly it can get boring at times. The finale is still great to this day, though (as are just about any episodes featuring Darkseid as the villain), and the 3-part crossover with Batman (which was originally released as a DTV movie under the title World's Finest, but technically part of this show's 2nd season) was really entertaining.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 01, 2012, 07:43:09 PM
Probably the best incarnation of Superman on-screen. And if it weren't for All-Star, the best incarnation of all mediums in the last 20 years.

I assume you're talking about the comic book. The animated DTV movie just didn't do it for me.

Dr. Insomniac

talonmalon333

Interesting how well the DC animated shows (Batman and, from the sound of things, Superman) hold up in comparison to the Marvel shows from that era (X-Men, Spider-Man, etc.).

Dr. Insomniac

Well, because the DC shows had better writers and animators. People only remember X-Men for the opening and the Juggernaut.

Avaitor

Plus Warner's censors were more forgiving, while Fox wouldn't let their shows do shit. They had to rename the Sinister Six the Insidious Six in Spider-Man: TAS since Fox thought that "sinister" was too mean of a word.

Even when B:TAS was on Fox, they were able to get away with more because the show was initially planned to air on primetime as well as on Fox Kids. When that didn't work out, the only thing Fox really imposed on the staff was to add Robin into the show more.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on September 02, 2012, 01:29:44 AM
Plus Warner's censors were more forgiving, while Fox wouldn't let their shows do shit. They had to rename the Sinister Six the Insidious Six in Spider-Man: TAS since Fox thought that "sinister" was too mean of a word.

Even when B:TAS was on Fox, they were able to get away with more because the show was initially planned to air on primetime as well as on Fox Kids. When that didn't work out, the only thing Fox really imposed on the staff was to add Robin into the show more.
:D

And I didn't know BTAS was going to be prime time.

Goldstar

Yeah, FOX did air Batman:TAS , however briefly, on Sunday nights.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!