Doug

Started by Eddy, June 30, 2011, 09:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

Bangin on a trash can...

I know I'm not the only guy who grew up watching Doug. That kid had one fucked up imagination. Let's talk about Doug, Skeeter, Mr. Dink, Patty, Porkchop, The Beets, and all things Doug before Disney came along and screwed it up.

Spark Of Spirit

This show could not have existed at any other time other than the 90s. It's too quaint, surreal, and offbeat without being obnoxious about it.

I was re-watching some of it a few months ago, but I got sidetracked by other things. There's still nothing quite like it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I grew up watching Doug religiously, but I don't really care for it anymore. Not completely sure if I even liked it all that much back then, either...

Commode

I know I showed this to Avaitor and some of the other chatters, but I recently stumbled across this blog, titled Doug Funnie is Crazy.  For each episode, the author goes into detail about what he thinks is going through Doug's head(or isn't, in a lot of cases).  Some of the analyses are pretty messed up, but a lot of it is funny, and worth a read.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Daxdiv

I just read the entry about Doug being an executive and holy shit, I got a good laugh out of this. This is some good archive binging shit right here.

Avaitor

I still have all of these queued up in my tumblr feed to read, and when I get the time, I'll get to a few of them.

Honestly, Doug was my favorite of the 90's Nicktoons when I was a kid. I really liked how all of Doug's fantasy's interconnected and how zany the characters were. It doesn't really hold up for me now though, at least not as well as a lot of other shows from the era. Still, I'd buy a DVD of it in an instant.

Good thing the show ended after four seasons on Nick and no one tried to use the characters afterwords.  :humhumhum:
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Mr. Big

Here's a trivia that not many people know: one of the early episodes were made at Spumco.

This was during a downtime when no work was coming in at Spumco (and this was before Nick fired them), so Nickelodeon sent one of the Doug episodes to be laid out over there. Completely in that show's style.

Yeah, one can imagine that John K. was really desperate if he agreed to do this. I wonder how they felt having to do this.

And no, I don't know which one was done there.

Spark Of Spirit

That's interesting, though I can't imagine him being all too happy to do it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

John K. once called Doug "drawing for retards".

He must've really needed to be on Nick's good side for this to happen.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

Well there was that time that a Doug look a like was featured on Ren and Stimpy as the tooth fairy, replacing John's George Liquor character that Nick wouldn't let him use.  Wasn't the rumor that John put "Doug" in the episode as a dig towards Nick and them having quite a bit more faith in Doug than in R&S?  Maybe there was more to the story.

edit: okay yeah, there's some talk about it here, but I know I've seen it mentioned somewhere else.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Lord Il

Quote from: Comeau on July 30, 2013, 06:21:43 PM
Well there was that time that a Doug look a like was featured on Ren and Stimpy as the tooth fairy, replacing John's George Liquor character that Nick wouldn't let him use.  Wasn't the rumor that John put "Doug" in the episode as a dig towards Nick and them having quite a bit more faith in Doug than in R&S?  Maybe there was more to the story.
That's pretty much how it was.
This would be the Doug appearance in question. It's the only thing I can think of. He's The Bloody Head Fairy. The episode is from Haunted House.

This brought back memories due to the controversy surrounding it at the time. Anyways, I did a lil digging..
As the story goes (or.. the legend of a marriage made in hell), Nickelodeon had many issues with Spumco content and effectively became their watchdog for nearly every ounce of material produced. As Comeau mentioned, apparently George Liquor was supposed to have been The Bloody Head Fairy, but Nick was opposed to that idea. Spumco decided to give Nick a playful 'flip the bird' by making the fairy into a character of one of Nick's more higher rated shows of the time - Their target was Doug Funnie.

I think it would've been even funnier if they got Billy West to voice The Bloody Head Fairy (since he voiced Stimpy as well as Doug). But that would've created a three-way triangle of bad blood between Nickelodeon, Doug's production studio, and Spumco. That doesn't mean they probably didn't think about doing it, though!
;D

Spark Of Spirit

I didn't find that very funny.

Gasp, I know.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 31, 2013, 07:22:55 PM
I didn't find that very funny.

Gasp, I know.

Agreed. That joke was crap. I liked Ren and Stimpy when I was younger, but to me, none of it holds up in my mind. Doug was overall a better show than Ren and Stimpy.  :bleh:

Lord Il

lol!
I'll bet John K. and the Spumco crew were laughing their asses off more than anyone.

Interestingly enough, that clip was edited out of future airings.

Avaitor

Man, I don't think I can agree with Doug holding up better than Ren & Stimpy.

New blog!