Doug

Started by Eddy, June 30, 2011, 09:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I don't think either of them hold up too well.

But one of them doesn't include APC.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 31, 2013, 08:53:11 PM

At least when Disney got Doug, they treated it better. APC still creeps me out to this day.

Avaitor

APC... yeah. That's a whole other story.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

The only episode of Doug that I remember really liking was the one where Porkchop was incarcerated in a Pound due to a misunderstanding and Doug desperately tried to get him back before he was put to sleep.

I agree that neither show really holds up, though.

talonmalon333

I think Doug, these days, is pretty alright. On the other hand, I really don't like Ren & Stimpy. Just because it's less garbage than APC doesn't mean it's not garbage. :P

Avaitor

Yeah, I guess it's a minority opinion to like R&S on here, but them's the breaks.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I like some of the early stuff, but think the rest is awful. It went south too quickly for me to really stick up for in any discussion.

Doug is simply inoffensive to me and at least makes good background noise in comparison. But while it's forgetful, it doesn't really have anything that makes me questions the writers' sanity.

On the other hand there's Ren Seeks Help.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 31, 2013, 08:53:11 PM

One big reason why I stand by what I said. With Doug, its dated a bit by certain 90s stuff in it, but I've seen episodes of it only a year or so ago and they were just as fun and entertaining. Some of episodes of the both the Nick and Disney runs aren't that good, but its still fun.

That movie though? I have no interest to see that anytime soon.

talonmalon333

Doug's show concept of kids living crazy lives and going to school was done 1,000x's better in Hey Arnold.

LumRanmaYasha

"Space Madness," "Marooned," "Stimpy's Invention," and "The Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksman" are fantastic.

Other than those, though, Ren and Stimpy is pretty unentertaining aside for the expressive animation in the Spumco episodes. At least Doug is just bland, whereas Ren and Stimpy goes out of it's way to be freakishly and offensively bad as it goes on.

Kiddington

Honestly, I don't even think the early stuff in R&S holds up that well. It's okay, but even at its best the show was still way too weird and gross to be enjoyed in anything over very small doses. Oh yeah, and then there's the fact that the guy who created it is a complete narcissist that hasn't contributed dick to the animation industry in over 20 years. So... there's also that.

In fact, I'll redact my previous statement that Doug has held up worse than any other Nicktoon, because I think this one takes the cake. I have even less interest in catching up with this than I do with Rocket Power.

Commode

Quote from: Lord Il on July 31, 2013, 07:52:28 PM
lol!
I'll bet John K. and the Spumco crew were laughing their asses off more than anyone.

Interestingly enough, that clip was edited out of future airings.

It also wasn't included in any of the DVD releases.  It's said that John K himself isn't actually a fan of the scene.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

talonmalon333

Rocket Power was my childhood guilty pleasure. I always knew it was terrible, but I always watched it and knew so many episodes.

Avaitor

Rocket Power was the reason that I was a Cartoon Network kid.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I didn't understand Rocket Power's appeal. The fact that it wasn't funny didn't help.