Doug

Started by Eddy, June 30, 2011, 09:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

Tony Hawk had just landed the 900 at the X-Games at the time the show premiered.  He also had his line of video games coming out.  Tech Decks were huge.

That was the appeal.  In the late 90's skateboarding and X-treme sports were huge, and it capitalized on that.  It was just as faddish as any of the toy-selling cartoons were.

It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, it was an appeal to "extreme" culture. I completely forgot that was a thing. My memory's going...
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 01, 2013, 05:34:40 PM
Oh, it was an appeal to "extreme" culture. I completely forgot that was a thing. My memory's going...

Don't worry Sparky, tomorrow... we'll start looking for a retirement home for you to live in forever.

Commode

Well it's not his fault.  He's not even allowed to read the newspaper, it angers up the blood.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

*starts up the electroshock therapy*

Nel_Annette

Man, I fucking loathed Rocket Power as a kid. Making fun of people for wearing shoes, and getting everything handed to them pissed me off so much.  :srs:

I distinctly remember an episode where the main kid wasn't allowed to go on a trip because he wasn't doing in well in school, and in the end the dad felt bad and came back for him, and the kid hadn't done a thing to earn it. He learned nothing. Absolute piece of crap cartoon.

talonmalon333

Yeah Rocket Power was atrocious... Just don't ask why I watched it. :srs:

Peanutbutter

I liked the first season when I watched it, but the second season and so on (whenever Twister's voice deepened) just got boring to me. It didn't help that I never liked Otto. He was a spoiled brat. Reggie wasn't as bad as him, but I didn't care about her. Sam and that Hawaiian guy are the only characters I really liked.

I also hated the spray-tan like art style. It made Reggie and their dad look disgusting. And yeah, the biggest problem with this show is that it is VERY dated with the late 90s. It may very well be even more dated than some of the cartoons of the early 90s, and that's just embarrassing for this show when you think about it.

An argument could be made that this was the worst Nicktoon.

Peanutbutter

While still on the subject of Rocket Power, here's a couple comments from another board where it came up......

QuoteI hate that we live in a a snobby hipster world where Rocket Power is for some reason called terrible, when everyone, myself included loved that shit when it was on.

Because anyone who hates or doesn't care about what you like is a hipster.  ::)

QuoteStill to this day one of my favorite cartoons. Screw the haters

It's always easier to just say "screw the haters" then try to explain why they might be wrong, isn't it?  :sly:

Avaitor

Eh, everything has its fans. There are already people on the internet who miss My Gym Partner's a Monkey, the Buzz on Maggie, the X's, etc.

Just wait until a few years when Fish Hooks and Almost Naked Animals are considered "beloved" classics.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Lest we not forget Catscratch.

That reminds me, Doug TenNapel is like an extreme right-wing John K. This industry sure has some real cards in it.

Avaitor

Didn't he tell Huntsman to kill himself?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Avaitor on August 06, 2013, 01:40:49 PM
Eh, everything has its fans. There are already people on the internet who miss My Gym Partner's a Monkey, the Buzz on Maggie, the X's, etc.

Just wait until a few years when Fish Hooks and Almost Naked Animals are considered "beloved" classics.

It's not about them being a fan of Rocket Power, it's that saying "I like it, so screw the critics!" is about the opposite extreme as saying "Anyone who likes the Transformers movies should get sent to concentration camps!" .

Quote from: Avaitor on August 07, 2013, 11:20:48 AM

I thought that was Beau he said that to? Either way, that TenAppel guy's a jackass. Can't believe he made Earthworm Jim.

Avaitor

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 07, 2013, 07:27:45 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on August 07, 2013, 11:20:48 AM

I thought that was Beau he said that to? Either way, that TenAppel guy's a jackass. Can't believe he made Earthworm Jim.
Maybe it was both. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised.

New blog!